• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I'll go on record

Yeah this is the part where trading Wilson would be hugely beneficial, but the Angels are in a hard spot. There are better pitchers available on the market and they'd be eating money. Plus there's the whole proven commodity thing. The Angels are in first place right now, and generally speaking, first place teams that want to stay in first place, don't trade away pitching.

I don't agree with it. If trading CJ can make us better this year and/or next year, then I'd do it, but teams generally are more comfortable with known commodities.

If Dipoto was still here I'd say both Wilson and potentially Shoemaker will get traded at the deadline. If Klentak is in charge that might happen still. If Stoneman is really calling the shots then we might stand pat with Shoe in the 'pen.

Scotty there might be better pitchers on the market but most of them aren't left-handed and can shut LHH's down like he does (Cueto being the exception). There are teams out there that are really performing poorly against LHH's and could use him in their rotation.

Heaney has, so far, proven he's just as good as Wilson against lefties and righties both. They can trade Wilson now or in the off season but they will trade him sometime and eating cash this year only (and leaving the $20MM tab to someone else) is most certainly a worthwhile goal for this team. Wilson has been solid but we can't hold onto these guys forever and teams like the Nationals, Pirates and Giants could use a good lefty (and notably the Nationals and the Giants could use the salary relief this year and handle Wilson's payroll next year).

I suspect that the Angels will trade Wilson to one of those three teams at the deadline if the trade is right.

I started this thread because it seems as though a lot of people on here believe Sosh will pull Heaney from the rotation, because he isn't a veteran. Obviously we all want him to stay but there are people who think he won't be.

You are aware, almost everyone on here is foolish, at least part of the time.

Third best ERA on the squad but yeah, let's boot CJ Wilson as well.

I don't disagree with this statement either but Wilson is a commodity we will eventually part with and since we have a replacement of equal and better ability in Heaney I'm okay if the Angels use him in trade. Also perfectly okay if they keep him.

I mean, really, Weav is probably the one who shouldn't be in the rotation, but I get it. He's the vet who has spent his entire career here and has had many years of top notch production. He's earned some leeway. Every other team would put him back in the rotation after his DL stint to see how he does

For now, Shoe is the odd man out despite pitching better of late.

and say the Angels will keep Heaney in the rotation. I don't know how but they won't send him down or send him to the bullpen, although he would solve some problems in the bullpen. If I had to guess I would say they will either trade CJ or Shoe, or put Shoe in the pen. Whatever they do it is a good problem to have.

I agree, Strad. That kid is really pitching well, I can't wait to see him pitch again.

I for one would be infuriated if Heaney was moved from the rotation to the bullpen or sent down to AAA. He looks like a #2 starter. His fastball location is great, smooth delivery, decent offspeed pitches. Shoe is the clear odd man out here. Somehow the Angels went from such thin pitching depth to great depth (Thanks DiPoto!). Richards-Santiago-Weaver-CJ-Heaney-Shoe-Tropeano-Alvarez-Nate Smith-Chris Ellis-Sean Newcomb with a few others too looks great for this year and even better two years from now. 

As is typically the case, what I'd do and what the Angels will actually do, are separate things, which is both good and bad.

I'd trade CJ for a high end position player prospect (even if I had to eat some of the contract). I'd also trade Smith and Alcantara for Revere and Shoemaker for Lind. Our rotation would be Richards, Santiago, Heaney, Weaver and Tropeano. Revere would be the starting LF and Lind and Cron would split DH duties.

What the Angels will actually do? Probably stand pat. This winter they'll trade CJ.

As is typically the case, what I'd do and what the Angels will actually do, are separate things, which is both good and bad.

I'd trade CJ for a high end position player prospect (even if I had to eat some of the contract). I'd also trade Smith and Alcantara for Revere and Shoemaker for Lind. Our rotation would be Richards, Santiago, Heaney, Weaver and Tropeano. Revere would be the starting LF and Lind and Cron would split DH duties.

What the Angels will actually do? Probably stand pat. This winter they'll trade CJ.

You would trade 5.5 years of Shoemaker for two months of Lind?

CJ is servicable. I don't think we can afford to dump a front end SP. If anyone is going to go, it'll be Shoemaker.

I don't disagree but if there is any way to free up some money for the new GM this offseason, I'd dump CJ in a heartbeat and take my chances that we have enough depth....with CJ. Pujols, Hamilton and Weaver money on the books, we're going to be limited (again) this coming offseason....If we have to eat a significant portion of CJ's money, that doesn't make any sense, unless you get a premium prospect in return (not likely)....

Edited by DMVol

You would trade 5.5 years of Shoemaker for two months of Lind?

If I'm not mistaken, Lind has a 7 million dollar option for next year. So yes, I'd trade 5 years of a #4/5 starter for a year and a half of a very good DH.

And even that isn't fair value, but at the trade deadline, you have to overpay, it's just sort of the way it goes when you're desperate for offense.

I don't disagree but if there is any way to free up some money for the new GM this offseason, I'd dump CJ in a heartbeat and take my chances that we have enough depth....with CJ. Pujols, Hamilton and Weaver money on the books, we're going to be limited (again) this coming offseason....If we have to eat a significant portion of CJ's money, that doesn't make any sense, unless you get a premium prospect in return (not likely)....

Premium prospect for a CJ who's like 70yrs old? That'd be nice but I doubt it.

Either way, we'll be paying him what we owe him.