• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Richards, Santiago, Heaney, Skaggs, Newcomb...

Skaggs and Santiago will eventually be traded IMO. Richards, Newcomb, and Heaney will be the foundation for years to come. It's likely the Angels will sign a FA pitcher or two within the next 2 years.

How many rotations are 100% homegrown? In theory it's the best case scenario but in reality it's very rare. There's only about 3 teams in MLB right now with even 4 homegrown pitchers.

The good thing is the Angels DO have the homegrown depth to hold them over while they improve the offense. But they can't hold on to everyone.

Skaggs and Santiago will eventually be traded IMO. Richards, Newcomb, and Heaney will be the foundation for years to come. It's likely the Angels will sign a FA pitcher or two within the next 2 years.

How many rotations are 100% homegrown? In theory it's the best case scenario but in reality it's very rare. There's only about 3 teams in MLB right now with even 4 homegrown pitchers.

The good thing is the Angels DO have the homegrown depth to hold them over while they improve the offense. But they can't hold on to everyone.

Curious why they would trade those two? I'm sorry but as good as a prospect that Newcomb is,

His control is still very shaky. You don't trade proven major league cost controlled lefties and just assume a top prospect will work out. Santiago i can see because his salary will start raising quickly. Can't see Skaggs traded. I think they build the rotation around Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, and around 2017 Newcomb will be ready. A lot can happen

Our 2017 rotation looks like Richards, Heaney, Tropeano, Skaggs, and Newcomb. That's two RHP's and three LHP's.

Between now and the start of 2017, Wilson, Weaver, Shoemaker, and Santiago might all be gone. As a sentimentalist I hope they re-sign Weaver in a relief role but I'm not sure that Weaver would want to transition there. Personally I think he could re-invigorate his career as a multi-pitch closer type but his pride might try to lead him to continue starting which is fine by me but the Angels probably don't want that.

That's why I feel so strongly that Wilson or Shoemaker, or both, might be traded before the deadline. Shoemaker has a lot of value and his velocity is ticking back up over the last month or so. He has 5 years of team control left that is huge!

I like all these guys but we can't keep them forever and if they can upgrade our roster without losing effectiveness (Heaney replacing Wilson as an example) then we need to do it to maximize our postseason chances.

Edited by ettin

I think that when you have a team that's about to get as expensive as the Angels, you need homegrown players, wherever you can find them.  I see no issue with having a staff of homegrown talent if they're the best overall option.  Richards is an ace and inexpensive.  Newcomb looks like a future ace and will be young and inexpensive.  Heaney's going to be a very solid #2/3 starter, who is young and inexpensive.  Skaggs is going to be a solid #3 starter that is young and inexpensive and Ellis looks like he'll be a #3/4 starter who is young and inexpensive.  

Key themes: good, young and inexpensive.  

Not only would that project to be one of the better staffs in baseball, but they'd also be young and wouldn't cost the Angels much at all, which definitely takes the pressure off paying for Pujols and Hamilton in the future.  If things go right, they may even be able to spend money on a LF, some bullpen help and maybe even a SS if Aybar leaves. 

Our 2017 rotation looks like Richards, Heaney, Tropeano, Skaggs, and Newcomb. That's two RHP's and three LHP's.

Between now and the start of 2017, Wilson, Weaver, Shoemaker, and Santiago might all be gone. As a sentimentalist I hope they re-sign Weaver in a relief role but I'm not sure that Weaver would want to transition there. Personally I think he could re-invigorate his career as a multi-pitch closer type but his pride might try to lead him to continue starting which is fine by me but the Angels probably don't want that.

That's why I feel so strongly that Wilson or Shoemaker, or both, might be traded before the deadline. Shoemaker has a lot of value and his velocity is ticking back up over the last month or so. He has 5 years of team control left that is huge!

I like all these guys but we can't keep them forever and if they can upgrade our roster without losing effectiveness (Heaney replacing Wilson as an example) then we need to do it to maximize our postseason chances.

I don't think Weav could hack it in a bullpen, but I do believe you're right about the trades.  I doubt they happen this deadline if Stoneman has anything to say about it, but during the offseason, that sounds plausible if not likely. 

Santiago still has 2 controlled seasons after 2015, and given how he's blossomed and his stuff, he's not likely to suddenly lose it.

Yep, but he would get the most return in a trade right now. The AS selection helps too.

That said, I don't see how we would be improved without him, regardless of the return.

Santiago won't be a free agent until 2018 and I don't see the Angels trading him considering his value of late. And before some dumbass pulls out the regression horseshit he certainly didn't regress from last season. So stuff that word right up your Fangraphs unless you want it used on all of your favorite unproven prospects as reason to ship their asses out of town for a Jay Bruce mistake.

Heaney, Skaggs, Santiago and Newcomb are going NOWHERE. 

The only lefty I can see us dealing is Nate Smith. 

Others (RHP's), Shoemaker, Ellis, Rhoades, Bedrosian, Salas, DeLoach and McGowin. 

So you see the team going with 4 lefties in the rotation? That's pretty risky. And also unbelievably rare. There's only been two teams in the history of baseball that have had 4 lefties in the rotation each for more than 20 starts.

Doesn't mean it can't work. I mean, if you have a rotation of Kershaw, Bumgarner, Sale, David Price and some random RHP it will likely be successful. Are, or will any of those guys be as good as the 4 aforementioned lefties? Time will tell, but it's not something to bank on.