• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can we trust Bill Stoneman as GM?

That's just it Eric, my biggest concern is that Stoneman is at the trade talk table at all. You'd be hard pressed to find a GM alive that's worse than Bill Stoneman when it comes to trades. He failed to pull the trigger on some of the biggest in history and the ones he did make at the deadline were inconsequential.

I think right now, we should all hope that Klentak is the one actually making decisions.

This is why the article sucked.  Deadline trades rarely work out for the team that is aquiring the star.  Rarely ever.  Also, Stoneman got Figgins in a trade, and found Eck.  Those two aquistions alone were key to us winning it all in 2002 and the Figgins trade reaped rewards for almost the entire decade. 

To assume for one minute that the most succesful GM in Angels history cannot be trusted?  Bad article and horrible point of view.

Where did I say it was good or bad? I was merely stating what I think is pretty likely---Stoneman won't do a significant deadline deal....those who are hoping for a deal, however it may turn out, are setting themselves up for disappointment...that's all...

Dvol I responded to your post -- but was aiming at the greater narrative..  Not saying you made any pointed criticisms or the sort.   More often than not I'd get frustrated when we didn't get a deal done only to be happy we didn't after the season ended.   I'm actually struggling to think of a non trade deadline deal from that era that hurt us..   Alfonseca plus for K-Rod would have robbed the team of one of its best pieces that postseason.

You look at those 2004-07 teams and while in most cases they could have used some extra pop -- they were pretty solid teams top to bottom...    

I have never met either but after doing some quick reading I would say that Servais is the better candidate.  Keep Klentak on as asst. GM.

I've heard some crappy stuff about Servais -- but mostly from people outside of the Angels org, and no idea if its based on professional envy or personality clashes.   In both cases the people actually praised him baseball smarts wise.

Edited by Inside Pitch

DMVol, without quoting your whole post, I am not saying his philopshies have changed. I'm saying e doesn't have the circumstances to put those into affect as he did before.

He's not the GM. He doesn't have the background with the prospects. He hasn't been involved in the trade talks.

He told me flat out that he's just keeping the seat warm for 3 months and relying on the people who are already there and know more than him.

It's not like he's been actively working in the front office and now is in charge. He admitted he's been barely involved. I just don't think he's going to go from no involvement to some drastic change of organizational philosophy in a week.

DMVol, without quoting your whole post, I am not saying his philopshies have changed. I'm saying e doesn't have the circumstances to put those into affect as he did before.

He's not the GM. He doesn't have the background with the prospects. He hasn't been involved in the trade talks.

He told me flat out that he's just keeping the seat warm for 3 months and relying on the people who are already there and know more than him.

It's not like he's been actively working in the front office and now is in charge. He admitted he's been barely involved. I just don't think he's going to go from no involvement to some drastic change of organizational philosophy in a week.

So much win and narrative destruction ....  

@DMvol, im not sure, but in reference to what stoneman is here for "looking over the shoulder", maybe its just more of an experienced guy for legal matters in terms of contracts? As instead of having someone with mo experience in that take over, maybe hes just here (for now) to oversee legal matters. (Really hazve no idea)

As far as the mcab trade IP mentioned, wasnt it also reported it was the marlins backing out after the deal was already in place?

I dont know what to expect from stoneman this go around, but i think IP is right, he was pretty good at finding under the radar talent. Guillen for river/izturis was gold

To be clear -- I think he's good at putting together people who are good at doing their jobs.   Seems like JD did a lot of things right, had a lot of good people in place -- Fletcher has pretty much confirmed that Stoney is just keeping the seat warm.

All is well.

I am hoping for a trade for a bat or two, however with offense being at such a premium right now, I am thinking we might only get one bat, and it won't be an impact bat, but possibly a guy that produces better than what we have. Life is too busy to follow the NL, so compare Parra to a guy I have seen against the Angels a number of times? Would he be like an Alex Rios, when he was doing well?

To be clear -- I think he's good at putting together people who are good at doing their jobs.   Seems like JD did a lot of things right, had a lot of good people in place -- Fletcher has pretty much confirmed that Stoney is just keeping the seat warm.

All is well.

IP: I don't disagree w/ any of that and I understand what Jeff is saying...From my end, I guess I'll believe Bill Stoneman has anything to do w/ a deadline deal when I see it....and while I thought he was too reluctant to pull the trigger at times, his track record was pretty impressive....

This debate goes on every year about how much July trades really help. Last year there was a pretty strong article that they seldom work out as far as helping is concerned. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try, but making a trade is only a small part of the battle. Actually finding someone who can make a difference without damaging your club is the bigger issue.

Cespedes-Red-Sox-2.jpg

Prefer to wait and sign him as a FA after the season.

then what is the philosophy behind having him as a placeholder?  why not just let klentak or servais be the interim?

then what is the philosophy behind having him as a placeholder?  why not just let klentak or servais be the interim?

Fair question, I think it's just a personnel issue.  If you make one the interim and then select the other as the permanent replacement then you potentially create problems.

Selecting Stoneman as the interim and then utilizing the other two is the smart move IMO.

I like the way ip laid it out. Stoneman has had a history of promoting GMs with the Expos. He very well could be there to advise Arte on who they should promote of the two that are there. Also, Stoneman is there to advise those two moves the rest of the year. Considering we are looking for a bat, and the fact that we don't need a great bat to be an improvement on what we have, this very well could be something we can acquire after the deadline. I would prefer for us to target the guy we want, and get him during the All Star break.

The crazy thing in 2015 is that outside of KC, no one is showing the ability to run away and hide. Many teams are probably seeing an opportunity, even the last place Red Sux.

That will make the trade competition extreme in the next 3 weeks.

So, overpay for a rental, like Justin Upton in hopes you can resign him? Do you overpay for a younger guy that you can have for a few years? Or do you overpay for a rental that isn't quite as good but could help your team, like Parra or Revere?

Personally, if we are going to make a trade, id prefer to go big instead of a rental. LF is a need now and going forward. If we move a good young pitcher, id prefer it to be someone who we can keep around a few years being that our farm is ao barren on bats. AO mentioned cespedes in the offseason. I like him, and would be happy to have him here, but hes another guy who has warts. Then theres the problem someone else gets him, and were back to filling the spot with replacement level guys.

No idea who is available, who we could trade, etc. But names like revere dont scream ring this year to me, and they dont at all scream position covered going forward.

I keep coming back to reddick, but beanes not going to cooperate (and given his contract it makes sense)

Personally, if we are going to make a trade, id prefer to go big instead of a rental. LF is a need now and going forward. If we move a good young pitcher, id prefer it to be someone who we can keep around a few years being that our farm is ao barren on bats. AO mentioned cespedes in the offseason. I like him, and would be happy to have him here, but hes another guy who has warts. Then theres the problem someone else gets him, and were back to filling the spot with replacement level guys.

No idea who is available, who we could trade, etc. But names like revere dont scream ring this year to me, and they dont at all scream position covered going forward.

I keep coming back to reddick, but beanes not going to cooperate (and given his contract it makes sense)

This ^^^^