• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Did Butcher fix Heaney?

Not gonna go so far as to say "yes", but thats as legit of a praise as anyone who gives butcher critiques.

Im one of those "coaches shouldnt get blame/credit" for success or failure. Good or bad coaches obviously have an impact (one way or the other), but in the end it comes down to the player. Trust me, these guys have a ton of resources available, either their direct coach or outside of the organization.

But thats an interesting story. If its true (no reason to think otherwise), butcher should get credit where its due

He does now have a free and easy delivery that seems repeatable, and the ball has solid movement and late life.

This Heaney is clearly ultimately somewhere around a solid #3 starter, MAYBE #2 starter.
In other words, what Nibs was supposed to be upon joining the Halos.

Edited by Angel Oracle

So for those keeping track...   Skaggs, Richards, Santiago, and now Heaney are all Butcher success stories....    Long live the Kazmir narrative.

My God, that's impossible, ......I was told Butcher was totally incompetent, and always is sleeping like a baby.   :huh:

Back when I had press credentials in 2009 at Safeco Field (before an M's blogger ruined it for all, I interviewed newly acquired Scott Kazmir in the clubhouse. Here's a snippet and link to that article I wrote. 

The strikeouts are a good indication Kaz is back on track. In 2007, he led the American League in strikeouts with 239, a year after he worked with now Angels' pitching coach Mike Butcher.

"We had fun in 2006 working together," he said. "I learned a lot from Butch, did a lot of bullpen sessions and that carried over to 2007. I just think he and I, our personality type, worked well together. That just translated well into my routine and game."

http://angelswinblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/angelswincom-at-yard-kazmir-has-rhythm.html

He does now have a free and easy delivery that seems repeatable, and the ball has solid movement and late life.

This Heaney is clearly somewhere around a solid #3 starter, MAYBE #2 starter.

In other words, what Nibs was supposed to be upon joining the Halos.

He's what Nibs was supposed to be, without the car dealerships, $77 million in paychecks, smoken' hot model wife, and a brain that constantly answers his own questions, LOL.  

Heaney was already a top prospect when he was with the Marlins. 

Yep! This is from just last year. 

1. Andrew Heaney, lhp

Born: June 5, 1991. B-T: L-L. Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 188.

Drafted: Oklahoma State, 2012 (1st round).Signed by: Steve Taylor.

Background: Heaney was regarded as the top college lefthander available in the 2012 draft after he led NCAA Division I hurlers with 140 strikeouts in 118 innings as a junior. He nearly didn’t come to terms with the Marlins after sometimes testy negotiations, agreeing to a $2.6 million deal just before the deadline. His first full season got off to a delayed start when he was sidelined by a strained lat muscle in a simulated game early in spring training. It took him several games to shake off the rust once he took the hill at high Class A Jupiter in May, but he soon looked dominant, going unscored upon for the entire month of July to earn a promotion to Double-A Jacksonville. He tossed six scoreless frames in his first start for the Suns, then gave up five runs his second time out—nearly a quarter of the runs he allowed all year.

Scouting Report: Heaney makes it look simple, with easy arm action and a smooth delivery he repeats well. He gets easy velocity on his fastball, touching 95 mph regularly, particularly in two-strike counts. When he needs a little more he can push it up to 97. He has learned, however, that his command is a little crisper when he sits in the 91-93 range. There’s a little deception to it and natural giddy-up at the end that gives hitters fits, even at the lower velocity. Heaney locates his fastball well down in the zone. His plus slider can be a wipeout pitch, with late, hard, sharp break that finishes outside of the hitting zone. He keeps hitters off balance with his changeup, a valuable weapon against righthanded hitters. It’s solid-average now, though there were times last year, particularly early in the season, when he telegraphed it, or it came in a bit too firm without the fade it has when he turns it over right. It projects as a third above-average offering. He commands all his pitches consistently and mixes them together well, though he needs to get better at reading swings and picking up on hitters’ tendencies. From early in the season to the end, his pitch management took a major step forward as he became more efficient. He also learned how to better control the running game, a notable weakness coming out of college, as was his tempo, which has picked up significantly. He has added nearly 20 pounds to his frame since signing but could benefit from additional strength. He carries himself well on the mound and competes hard every time out.

The Future: Heaney’s not far away, though with just 122 professional innings he could stand at least a little more minor league time. He’ll have to prove he can hold up to a full workload to fulfill his potential as a No. 2 starter, but he should join Miami’s young rotation by the end of 2014.