• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Timing is Horrible. Re: Jerry

The Angels have demonstrated offensive power in an explosive way these last 4 games; but the team has finally found its groove. This team has a history of being streaky, and these blowout games are unsustainable–but, the team is also pitching VERY well: the rotation and the bullpen have been lights out. I think the offense has overshadowed how good the pitching really is; more importantly, the rotation and bullpen have depth unlike the offense. 

It's just bittersweet to see the team finally find its stride immediately albeit after Dipoto's departure. The winning  is undoubtedly a coincidence, and one of the more tragic examples of bad timing I've seen in recent memory. On the surface, it looks like Jerry was bottlenecking the team with his departure being the catalyst to the team's surge in power–that couldn't be further from the truth. This team, not unlike last years squad, needed some time  to completely sync together. 

Dipoto deserves a lot of credit for this team, he believed in this roster despite the glaring problems–and more notably, he established a starting rotation from scratch; Heaney is a godsend for this team, and once Skaggs returns it will be one of the best in baseball. 

Edited by failos

Players, coaches, and management, even owners go and come at all sorts of times in baseball.  Some even die in process.  Many leave their mark, and Dipoto left a good mark here.  He advanced the organization in a number of ways, and I personally don't believe the team will revert to the dark ages.  Mistakes were made by the owner and his organization that made it difficult to clearly define authority and  responsibilities in this case, and the organization has a chance to start over after Dipoto's resignation.  Hopefully they have learned some valuable lessons, and put this knowledge to good use in the future.

Edited by tomsred

Or he was sick of putting up with a douchey owner and uncooperative employee, and made a choice for his own sanity and happiness.

I have no doubt dipoto will be a successful GM elsewhere

I have to agree with Woody. I don't think Sosh was the main issue. Arte didn't back him up and went against him too many times.

I cant believe we got Heaney for Kendrick.  Dipoto is a wizard.

Heaney has looked terrific, but three starts does not make a starter.  The amount of evidence is still too small.  After Shoemaker went 16-4 last year, he looked pretty terrific as well.  All I'm saying is that there is a long road ahead for him, I hope he stays this sharp.

Heaney has looked terrific, but three starts does not make a starter.  The amount of evidence is still too small.  After Shoemaker went 16-4 last year, he looked pretty terrific as well.  All I'm saying is that there is a long road ahead for him, I hope he stays this sharp.

Heaney isnt really similar to Shoemaker.  Heanye is a lot younger with much better stuff.  I dont see him dropping off the way Shoemaker did, but I think he will follow a similar trajectory to Richards, without the injury hopefully.

I have to agree with Woody. I don't think Sosh was the main issue. Arte didn't back him up and went against him too many times.

We will probably never know the specific reasons Arte didn't provide him with more authority and responsibility.  The issue is much deeper than sabrematerics vs. old school.  That's just a convent way of describing what went wrong without doing a more thorough investigation or analysis of the situation.

Edited by tomsred

Players, coaches, and management, even owners go and come at all sorts of times in baseball.  Some even die in process.  Many leave their mark, and Dipoto left a good mark here.  He advanced the organization in a number of ways, and I personally don't believe the team will revert to the dark ages.  Mistakes were made by the owner and his organization that made it difficult to clearly define authority and  responsibilities in this case, and the organization has a chance to start over after Dipoto's resignation.  Hopefully they have learned some valuable lessons, and put this knowledge to good use in the future.

Well said Tomsred!

Heaney isnt really similar to Shoemaker.  Heanye is a lot younger with much better stuff.  I dont see him dropping off the way Shoemaker did, but I think he will follow a similar trajectory to Richards, without the injury hopefully.

I sincerely hope that is the path he follows.  However, he needs to demonstrate that over a longer period than three starts.  I hope they keep him here when Weaver returns, and let him show he can be consistent and reliable across a larger spectrum of teams.

Or, he just has balls and made a decision.

Maybe. It's just such a weird situation altogether. From the outside looking in, he looks weak. Is he honorable for bailing on a winner and not a loser? That's for his future bosses to decide. 

I'll tell you. The media and this board scapegoated Sosh pretty hard. Trying to set him up for failure, they've responded. He's turning page after page with a big grin on his face.

Scioscia is a tough dude, he can handle all the pressure you want to dish out.  People can second guess him all night, but surviving this many years as a manager grows a really tough hide.  You may hate his methods, call him every insult in the book, or directly confront him but he can brush it aside and keep on ticking.  When his days are done here, that's the main thing I'll miss about Scioscia the manager.

There are a lot of stories about crisis management over the years.  Many of them historical figures or explorers who have to lead their men out of danger when overwhelmed in terror.  The most effective leaders who produce the best outcomes are those who take a strong authoritarian leadership position.  It's not a democratic situation where individuals are voting what to do, the difference between survival and death is in effect what the authoritarian leader tells them what they are going to do, and when they will do it.  We are not dealing with life and death in baseball, but I view this situation as being like that in some ways.  I can hear Mike saying keep it simple, keep your nose out of the politics, focus on one game at a time, and instilling confidence that their destiny is in their hands, and just go take what is rightfully yours.

The Angels have demonstrated offensive power in an explosive way these last 4 games; the 10+ runs in 3 straight games has overshadowed the VERY good pitching staff this team has. The blowouts are unsustainable, but the team is good–the pitching is fantastic, and the team has finally found its groove. 

It's just bittersweet to see the team find its stride immediately after Dipoto's departure. The winning  is undoubtedly a coincidence, and one of the more tragic examples of bad timing I've seen in recent memory. On the surface, it looks like Jerry was bottlenecking the team with his departure being the catalyst to the team's surge in power–that couldn't be further from the truth.

Dipoto deserves a lot of credit for this team, he believed in this roster despite the glaring problems–and more notably, he established a starting rotation from scratch; Heaney is a godsend for this team, and once Skaggs returns it will be one of the best in baseball. 

lee-corso-not-so-fast-my-friend.jpg

Tony Reagins Angels team had a 6 game win streak in August of 2011 and they still fired his ass.

Dipoto will be a terrific GM somewhere again.  This just is not the environment for his type of approach.  Every organization is different in style and personality.  There is not one magical way of being successful.  Different strokes for different folks.  The way to win is not creating an organization with the most sabermetric data.   The difference between winning and losing comes down to effective organizational structure, good communications between all employees, attracting smart people to fill critical jobs, hard work, and also pure luck.

Dipoto will be a terrific GM somewhere again. This just is not the environment for his type of approach. Every organization is different in style and personality. There is not one magical way of being successful. Different strokes for different folks. The way to win is not creating an organization with the most sabermetric data. The difference between winning and losing comes down to effective organizational structure, good communications between all employees, attracting smart people to fill critical jobs, hard work, and also pure luck.

So 1 out of 5 aint bad?

in all honesty, and im asking not saying its fact, what does anyone know that arte did? I think we all know he was behind pukols and hamilton, and hes tightened the strings on the payroll, but what else has been reported? (And im not asking to defend him, just wondering why hes becoming rhe fall guy). For all we know this was all about the FO (or parts of it) vs the staff (or parts of it). I havent read anything (and im all for being corrected) that said arte had any roll in any of this. The only thing remotely close ive read is that moreno went to a meeting in the clubhouse the day before the news broke (and i can tell you for a fact it happened more than a day before anyone on here heard), and that arte had extended dipoto this year.

Point fingers at moreno for bad investments like hamilton, but not for 'everything'.

But to the point of the OP, i kid when i say dipoto was holding us back, i think he did a great job here. He had a few bad moves like blanton, but when you step back and look at the hard spot he was in budget wise you have to cut him slack. I think he did a pretty good job with the mlb toster, and he did a great job with the monor league pitching. Sure, were lacing bats, but when he took over we were lackimg bats AND arms.

He deserves his credit with whatever good comes of this team, from the minors to majors, over the next 2 years or so.