• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Angels Notes: Three new Hall of Famers, job changes clarified

I'm not sure I understand your point here. What does Trout's potential numbers in a hypothetical future have to do with Salmon and his actual performance with the Angels?

A lot of people are enamored with Salmon's longevity with the team. His career numbers are pretty mediocre. Unfortunately, the Angels are a sad sack of shit when it comes to legendary players.

They either dumped let guys leave that were good, and they're not too many, or they brought in guys who had long success with other clubs.

Salmon to me is just very mediocre to be celebrated, but those teams were crap. And people here seem to be a little younger than me on average, so maybe he's their guy.

Salmon was fine, and congrats to him. I like that he's still working within the org. Not looking at Bernie Williams' numbers right now but Salmon is probably comparable and would just be another former player if he had been a Yankee. But those fans glorify Bernie. Bernie was probably a better player but can't compare to those heavyweights and true dominators of the game the Yanks had.

The Angels just have a very weak history. My point with Trout is, if you love Salmon because he played 14 years with the Angels or whatever and amazed decent numbers, Trout should smoke all those numbers and really show up as the face of the franchise forever.

But I also think Jeter was overrated, and if he was an Indian, Red, or Twin he wouldn't have gotten the media BJ he did all those years.

At least Witt had previous seasons with 200+ innings pitched. 

Billy Martin was the ultimate abuser of starting pitchers in 1980.

None of those 5 A'th starters (Langford, Norris, Keough, Kingman, and McCatty) had anywhere nears the number of innings in previous years, that they pitched in 1980.

Norris in 1980 pitched around double his previous high for innings pitched.

Langford pitched around 70 more innings in 1980 than he had ever pitched before.

Keough pitched around 50 more innings in 1980 than he had ever pitched before.   

Those 5 pitchers completed 94 games in 1980, and none stuck around for more than 3 years as regular starters after 1980 and all 5 were still pretty young in 1980. 

Soto, I wouldn't call Salmon's .385 career OBP and .884 career OPS mediocre in ANY way. 

Even in the height of the hitting era, those were still rock solid to very good numbers.

And as mentioned, they are franchise highs.  

If he doesn't go into the Halos HOF, what Halos hitters pre-Trout deserve to at all?

Edited by Angel Oracle

That 1990 team (the year of the Langston/Witt combo no hitter) sure looked good, except for the starting rotation.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1990&t=CAL

Following this link down the rabbit hole, I was surprised and impressed to discover that Brian Downing had an OPS of .835 in his age-41 season with the Texas Rangers.  That's in 391 plate appearances.  The previous season he was at .831 in 476 plate appearances.  I do wish the Angels hadn't let him walk.  It still bothers me that he retired a Ranger.

But I digress.  Was it Bob Starr who called Mike Witt's phenomenal 12-to-6 curve ball "the yakker"?  I'm glad that The Witter is in.

As for Dean Chance, he's a bit before my time, but even if he gained entrance to the Angels' Hall of Fame on the basis of only one season, at least it was a genuinely great season: eleven shutouts, a 1.65 ERA over 278 innings, a WHIP of 1.006 - not for nothing was he the youngest pitcher ever to win the Cy Young Award up to that point.  I think that we have to consider his achievement in the context of the club's history, too.  At the time, the Angels were just in their fourth year of existence and they were very much in the shadow of the Dodgers. And the Dodgers had the two most dominant pitchers in the game in Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale. For a 23-year-old kid to come along and steal a little of their thunder by winning the Cy Young at a time when only one was awarded for *both* leagues is an accomplishment of near Trout-like proportions.

I guess what I'm trying to express, in my long-winded manner, is that I don't begrudge Chance his spot in the Angels' Hall, either.

As for Sammy?  About time, I say!  At his best, he was about as reliable a hitter as I can recall watching.  There were few hitters I'd rather have up at the plate in a clutch situation than Salmon in his prime.  His bat speed was incredible, and he could absolutely punish the ball to all fields.  What a joy he was to watch.

A lot of people are enamored with Salmon's longevity with the team. His career numbers are pretty mediocre. Unfortunately, the Angels are a sad sack of shit when it comes to legendary players.

They either dumped let guys leave that were good, and they're not too many, or they brought in guys who had long success with other clubs.

Salmon to me is just very mediocre to be celebrated, but those teams were crap. And people here seem to be a little younger than me on average, so maybe he's their guy.

Salmon was fine, and congrats to him. I like that he's still working within the org. Not looking at Bernie Williams' numbers right now but Salmon is probably comparable and would just be another former player if he had been a Yankee. But those fans glorify Bernie. Bernie was probably a better player but can't compare to those heavyweights and true dominators of the game the Yanks had.

The Angels just have a very weak history. My point with Trout is, if you love Salmon because he played 14 years with the Angels or whatever and amazed decent numbers, Trout should smoke all those numbers and really show up as the face of the franchise forever.

But I also think Jeter was overrated, and if he was an Indian, Red, or Twin he wouldn't have gotten the media BJ he did all those years.

With all due respect, this post is a steaming pile of nonsense. On what planet are career numbers of .282 .384 OBP .884 OPS mediocre? He also was a solid defensive RF with a great throwing arm. I get it, you don't like the guy but, from here on out, you're not allowed to use the word "mediocre" until you actually apply it to something mediocre, Captain Hyperbole.

I was there for the Langston/Witt no-no. vs Seattle.

I missed that one. Neither of my sons have ever missed an opening day. So I have been at everyone since 1994 when my oldest was six months old. My younger son was born on March 29th in 1999 and a week later on April 6th he was at the Angels home opener.

Not sure...it was the opening series, though.

I have yet to go to an opening day. I've been to all-star games, many playoff games (including one in 86 that will never be forgotten)

games 6 and 7 of a WS, at one time back in the late 80's I had been to every ballpark in the US and 1 in Canada.

But never an opening day.. 

While i disagree w soto about salmon (but he makes good points about bernie), hes got a good point. Our history isnt great. Thats why guys will get in who werent too big of a deal on other teams.

That said, its probably similar with most of the expansion teams. Off the top of my head, seattle has had some beasts. Hriffy, arod, martinez, johnson etc. Who else though?

While i disagree w soto about salmon (but he makes good points about bernie), hes got a good point. Our history isnt great. Thats why guys will get in who werent too big of a deal on other teams.

That said, its probably similar with most of the expansion teams. Off the top of my head, seattle has had some beasts. Hriffy, arod, martinez, johnson etc. Who else though?

Buhner, Alvin Davis was probably their first bona fide star, (cough) Harold Reynolds

King Felix

Speaking of King Felix..

From Yahoo Sports

A look at what's happening all around the major leagues today:

YOU AGAIN?

Mariners ace Felix Hernandez starts for the 44th time in his career against the Angels. He's 13-13 in those games, but is 5-0 with an 0.93 ERA in his last nine tries. King Felix opposes Garrett Richards at Safeco Field