• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Catcher Framing: 2015 Leaders

NrM

"While the sabermetric revolution has been ongoing since Bill James published his first book in the late 1970's, and in the public eye for the last decade or so, catcher framing is relatively new. "

*Insert laughing Scioscia pic.

That's not as ridiculous as the meme among some saber folks that lineup protection makes no difference. Supposedly a batter will be pitched at the same regardless of whether Mike Trout is on deck behind him, or CJ Wilson is on deck behind him. 

Edited by ScottLux

This list is really suspect. Grandal and Iannetta have been both recognized widely as extremely low end defensive and receiving catchers. Grandal specifically has had SP request to pitch to the "other" catcher. 

I'm all for new statistics and measuring tools, and this will sound extremely old school, but just watch the games and no one would ever consider CI a top receiving catcher. 

I know cERA is not a perfect stat, but when you're comparing two catchers on the same team, it's at least mostly an apples to apples comparison;

Iannetta:  3.73 earned runs/9 innings, and 3.93 total runs/9 innings

Perez:      3.38  and 3.66

Butera (limited sample size) 4.02 and 4.34

Perez behind the dish saves an average of 1/3 of a run per game  (I'm using the total run, not earned run, because unearned runs count the same on the scoreboard).  That's not insignificant.  How much of that is due to a better ability to catch baserunners (both because of more outs, and fewer people even trying due to the better skill there), and how much is due to other factors like pitch framing, and how much is just random statistical noise isn't necessarily clear, but the difference itself looks real to me.

Edited by hen3ry

So, Iannetta has basically become Mathis, only with more BBs taken?

Since May 10

Iannetta: .261/.384/.391 .775 OPS

You're thinking of Carlos Perez

Since June 5

.167/.182/.185 .367 OPS

wait even Mathis wasn't that bad.

Edited by Poozy

This list is really suspect. Grandal and Iannetta have been both recognized widely as extremely low end defensive and receiving catchers. Grandal specifically has had SP request to pitch to the "other" catcher. 

I'm all for new statistics and measuring tools, and this will sound extremely old school, but just watch the games and no one would ever consider CI a top receiving catcher. 

So everyone has "forgotten" about this article from april?

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/iannetta-659109-angels-pitch.html

Iannetta first became aware of pitch-framing data toward the end of the 2014 season. A proud man who takes his job as seriously as anyone in the sport, the statistics struck him.

He began to work on it immediately, he said. All offseason, he studied video of Jose Molina, Jonathan Lucroy and Russell Martin – kind of the pitch-framing Mount Rushmore, if clichés extended to balls and strikes.

“I think I might have given the appearance that some borderline pitches were lower than what they really were,” Iannetta said Wednesday. “I was setting a false bottom, making it look like I was dropping my glove even farther. I’d give my target, I’d bring my glove up higher, and then I’d go catch it, so everything was going down.

“It was the pre-pitch stuff that was making it look different,” Iannetta said. “It’s about giving the perception that the zone is actually where it is, as opposed to changing it. And I think I was changing it pre-pitch. I was making the zone look higher.”

He said he could tell even in spring training his new tactics were netting more strikes.

“It was kind of immediate, from bullpens to the games,” he said. “We’re getting more calls.”

Edited by Poozy

So everyone has "forgotten" about this article from april?

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/iannetta-659109-angels-pitch.html

Iannetta first became aware of pitch-framing data toward the end of the 2014 season. A proud man who takes his job as seriously as anyone in the sport, the statistics struck him.

He began to work on it immediately, he said. All offseason, he studied video of Jose Molina, Jonathan Lucroy and Russell Martin – kind of the pitch-framing Mount Rushmore, if clichés extended to balls and strikes.

“I think I might have given the appearance that some borderline pitches were lower than what they really were,” Iannetta said Wednesday. “I was setting a false bottom, making it look like I was dropping my glove even farther. I’d give my target, I’d bring my glove up higher, and then I’d go catch it, so everything was going down.

“It was the pre-pitch stuff that was making it look different,” Iannetta said. “It’s about giving the perception that the zone is actually where it is, as opposed to changing it. And I think I was changing it pre-pitch. I was making the zone look higher.”

He said he could tell even in spring training his new tactics were netting more strikes.

“It was kind of immediate, from bullpens to the games,” he said. “We’re getting more calls.”

I've watched a lot of Halo games this year. It is impossible that CI is a top 5 anything catcher. 

I know cERA is not a perfect stat, but when you're comparing two catchers on the same team, it's at least mostly an apples to apples comparison;

Iannetta:  3.73 earned runs/9 innings, and 3.93 total runs/9 innings

Perez:      3.38  and 3.66

Butera (limited sample size) 4.02 and 4.34

Perez behind the dish saves an average of 1/3 of a run per game  (I'm using the total run, not earned run, because unearned runs count the same on the scoreboard).  That's not insignificant.  How much of that is due to a better ability to catch baserunners (both because of more outs, and fewer people even trying due to the better skill there), and how much is due to other factors like pitch framing, and how much is just random statistical noise isn't necessarily clear, but the difference itself looks real to me.

The most straightforward stat for judging the effectiveness of a catcher as a pitch framer is K/BB for the respective pitchers caught.

2014 K/BB with Iannetta / Conger:

Weaver:  2.32 / 2.96

Wilson:  1.57 / 2.13

Richards: 2.48 / 5.91

Shoemaker: 4.19 / 7.13

Santiago: 1.41 / 2.69

2015 K/BB with Iannetta / Perez:

Weaver: 11.0 / 2.91  <-- Iannetta's cERA is actaully worse in this case

Wilson:  2.52 / 3.42

Richards: 2.30 / 2.47

Shoemaker: 3.59 / 5.00

Santiago: 2.13 / 6.67

Edited by ScottLux

Grandal has been one of the top 3 pitch framers for the last 3 years. Not sure where you got that info.

As for framing I think that can be taught to a degree and obviously Iannetta has worked on it so good for him.

His talk about setting the target pre-pitch so you minimize glove movement makes perfect sense. Also keeping the glove as still as possible when you catch it probably helps too.