• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you rather Arte remained owner, or go back to Disney?

Anyone find it odd that Calzone hates Arte because of him wanting benefits from the city, but has no issues with Disney even though they pay no city taxes on ticket sales?

When it comes to bringing in revenue for the City of Anaheim the Angels and Disneyland are on different planets. Its not even close!

Arte is financially and personally invested in his team. He wants to win more badly then any of you. Have no doubt of that.

I have loads of doubt and don't believe he wants to win anymore than some here do. If he did he would be using all the resources at hand to make the team better. Including allowing the GM to do his job.

Sorry, but Arte, just like any other owner, is in it for the money. He invested and he had quadrupled his money in a little over a decade. Good for him. We still have the same manager that is managing from his gut and the last I checked, there is still only one WS trophy in the case.

I started disliking arte during spring training 2014.

We had some good seats between homeplate and the angels dugout. About 5 rows behind arte.

He brought his personal cooler with what must have been a 12 pack of coors light. He went through that pack in about 4 innings. BC some clubhouse guy took the cooler (I assume refilled it) and then brought it back 10 min later and arte grabs a cold one.

He could pay millions for players to beat his own team but can't throw a few bucks to get drunk.

He was drinking Coors Light?

That settles it. I don't want an owner that drinks that crap.

This might be hard for you to understand but just because Arte has more confidence in MS or may not have confidence in JD than you doesn't mean he doesn't want to win. You can question whether he made mistakes but to say he doesn't care is just flat out wrong.

I have loads of doubt and don't believe he wants to win anymore than some here do. If he did he would be using all the resources at hand to make the team better. Including allowing the GM to do his job.

Sorry, but Arte, just like any other owner, is in it for the money. He invested and he had quadrupled his money in a little over a decade. Good for him. We still have the same manager that is managing from his gut and the last I checked, there is still only one WS trophy in the case.

Doubts based on what tho ? Why are you so cynical ? you are basically just imagining that he doesn't care because...you don't want to give him the benefit of the doubt ? I mean to each their own opinion but i think most of the evidence suggest he cares a lot. This is Arte's ball club, not yours. He has every right to dictate to his GM what he wants to happen. Your pissed because what he wants was signing a couple of big time players ? and you assume the GM didn't want any part of it. Damn, what a horrible problem to have !!)7 Again, just imagining stuff to fit the "Arte sucks" narrative you keep preaching.

Brian, you are talking out of your ass, with all due respect. Of course Scioscia and Arte want to win, and of course they are more competitive than most on this board. You don't become a major leaguer with slightly above average athletic ability and you don't become a self made billionaire without being wired differently and huge part of that is competitiveness and drive. Now you could say they've become complacent but I doubt that as well. It's more confidence bordering on arrogance with Scioscia, that his way is the right way. With Arte it's probably more risk reward, with the exceptions of the time his desire to win outweighed common sense with Hamilton.

GEEZ -- some pretty negative things being said about Arte.........I don't share those -- yes, I was and still am an ARTE fan.

I thought Plaschke's column in the LA TImes (was it Thursday morning?) was really unfair to Arte -- but then sports columnists are there to state their opinion and stir up interest and discussion.

As for Arte and his battles with the City of Anaheim -- I think some folks need a refresher course in what actually happened -- Arte and the Angels presented a timely proposal to the city council about a lease extension which would have given (investor) Arte an opportunity to develop the "Golden Triangle' area with a mix of commercial and residential development and in return given some concessions to the Angels franchise.......(Keep in mind at least three main points here: 1.) the city of Anaheim has tried UNSUCCESSFULLY for years to develop the Golden Triangle area; 2.) As of about two years ago, redevelopment financing is not longer available to the city of Anaheim (and other public entities throughout the state) which was the primary vehicle for public-private partnerships on redevelopment projects and 3.) perhaps the most important point here of all -- the City of Anaheim City Council ACCEPTED Arte and the Angels' proposal -- and approved it in an official public vote of the Council -- accepting the proposal on behalf of the City.

then the mayor didn't like it because of an appraisal the Halos got from their retained expert which included a lot of questionable scenarios (as opposed to reality and the history of the site) including  a purported 'bail out' by Disney corp to turn the entire stadium area into an extra (over flow) parking lot for the theme park and downtown Disney with split parking (city/ Disney) fees and presumably Disney ownership of the property allowing for property tax revenue........all low maintenance stuff for the city.  Tempting but not reality and really not the multiplier effect of revenue generation once would like to see in a downtown commercial area.......

Arte has made mistakes (I don't consider the Pujols contract one of them -- it showed the Angels were willing to spend to win and Pujols has performed even prior to this year and this year its as if he's back in St. Louis !) one of the bigger ones was the whole Hamilton debacle from start (signing) to finish (dumping him).......Arte owns that mistake and has owned up to it -- I'd still like the get the real scoop on how the DiPoto-Scioscia led Hamilton to 1.) being on the 2014 post-season roster to begin with and 2.) inserted into the starting line up; and then 3.) kept in the starting line up after his his 2 to 3 ABs in the series where it was apparent he wasn't anywhere near ready to play, let alone in a playoff series............

criticism of Scioscia -- I like Scioscia -- but my ongoing criticism of him is that he tends to be a formula manager -- doing the same thing with the same guys day in and day out -- especially the pitching.

Smith comes in for the 8th, Street for the 9th --

this guy for the 6th maybe 7th...........

But that type of formula managing (In what used to be known as chick-speak for those who remember and miss chick hearn, lakers announcer ) is 'no think' managerial style.

and it is prevalent throughout MLB today -- so if you're going to  blast Scioscia for it, blast about 28 other managers (there might be one not managing this year -- not sure though, Tony LaRussa is long gone-- although a front office guy for the D-Backs)........

I think you should mix it up and keep the other side guessing at all times......why can't Street come in for a two inning save or Smith for that matter.......why can't one of the other Angel pen guys come in for the save in selected match ups -- I think some of this was part of the DiPoto-Scioscia style difference issues.......

At this point, I'd rather have Frank McCourt running this team.

That's a bit extreme.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing Arte Moreno have an IPO and make the Angels publicly traded. In that case, the fans who buy a couple shares and fill in throw away those ridiculous shareholder ballots in their mailbox will be to blame for whatever happens with the team.

Edited by ScottLux

i am not ever doom and gloom...maybe might throw a joke at there once in a while.   the only thing i can think of this year on the field that pisses me off is the baserunning.    sometimes i understand it as we are so anemic at the plate.    i think we are probably even though as to how many games it cost us vs won us.   we are so close to 500 and the division that mistakes are amplified.   

the players sosh is dealt the last few years?   i think he is getting all anybody would get.   would a diff hitting instructor help?  maybe   but it goes the other way too.

players need to play. 

I look at the playoff series last year where our batters had an at bat to be in the series and they did not come thru...more then once.

i am cowboy fan so i know what people think of a meddling owner....but i like jerry.  he wants to win more then anything in the world.    i like that in an owner.

i wish arte and his purse strings were not so tight when we needed a piece or so after the mistakes he clearly made...he should have let dipoto fix them with a little money here and there...and dipoto could have.  

Lol^ now i get it and agree

We all hit that point where things like coors light and bologna should never be consumed again

My brother is throwing the 4th of July family pool party this year. He stocks his ice chest with Coors light.

I bring my own brand.

So do my other brothers.

And sister.

And his in laws as well.

He just doesn't get the hint.

Edited by notti

i was at a card club the other night drinking heineken and this young hot hot girl probably 25 sat to play and promptly ordered a bud.   i could not believe it.   some people are just conditioned.   i would never in million years waste my time with a coors or bud.  i don't drink much which probably makes it a little tougher to choose one of those.    my wife does not drink beer and if we were having a party she used to go to the bud or coors section (its cheaper)  i had to almost tackle her.

Neither.  

Have to respect the way Arte has brought this team into the big market, but his meddling in baseball affairs has really held this team back.  I don't trust him to make any wise baseball decisions from this point forward and frankly, it seems to me like Arte has lost quite a bit of 'sharpness' over the last few years.  He isn't the one that should be heading this franchise any longer.  

ya but he can let go like jerry jones has....they have their moments...its sales when they need to close someone.   this is not to say a new owner can't come in and do a bang up job.   i wouldn't mind a balmer coming in...but also root for arte to turn it around and win one.   a couple of at bats last year get thru and we could be talking a different story...hamilton bats in the series like he is already this year??    it was in place to happen.    players need to play to win!!!!!!!!!