• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you rather Arte remained owner, or go back to Disney?

And as a third option.  What about that guy that sold his company for a few billion recently?  I'd like to hear if there are any Ducks fans that don't like him as an owner.  Then again, putting $2 billion (1 for the team, 1 for the stadium) probably wouldn't be in his best interest.  Unless he wants to do it as an inheritance for his kids.  

I started disliking arte during spring training 2014.

We had some good seats between homeplate and the angels dugout. About 5 rows behind arte.

He brought his personal cooler with what must have been a 12 pack of coors light. He went through that pack in about 4 innings. BC some clubhouse guy took the cooler (I assume refilled it) and then brought it back 10 min later and arte grabs a cold one.

He could pay millions for players to beat his own team but can't throw a few bucks to get drunk.

..... just spitballing here, but...wouldnt they money he spends at the beer stand just go right back to him? And at stadium prices he would make a few bucks off it.. so he actually lost money by buying his bud dry at the circle k instead of the beer stand

Arte's been a good owner.  The biggest knock on him is making baseball decisions when that's what you pay your front office for.  To be fair some of his decisions are financial decisions because they helped get the TV deal, bring in sponsors and fill seats but you still need to let your GM and the rest of the FO do their job without too much meddling.  He definitely wants to win and isn't cheap but like some other rich people he either thinks he can be successful in other ventures he has little or no experience in or he looks at it sort of like a hobby due to boredom.  I realize that's speculation on my part but you see it a lot with famous/wealthy people who branch off into different things thinking because they have resources and have made money in other areas they'll be successful.       

I started disliking arte during spring training 2014.

We had some good seats between homeplate and the angels dugout. About 5 rows behind arte.

He brought his personal cooler with what must have been a 12 pack of coors light. He went through that pack in about 4 innings. BC some clubhouse guy took the cooler (I assume refilled it) and then brought it back 10 min later and arte grabs a cold one.

He could pay millions for players to beat his own team but can't throw a few bucks to get drunk.

You should step back from the keyboard for a little while. Maybe sit the next couple plays out.

..... just spitballing here, but...wouldnt they money he spends at the beer stand just go right back to him? And at stadium prices he would make a few bucks off it.. so he actually lost money by buying his bud dry at the circle k instead of the beer stand

The point was if Arte has billions of dollars there is no excuse for him slumming it and drinking Coors to save a buck.

Edited by ScottLux

...are you suggesting disney isnt greedy?

And the argument could be made that disney changed the name to anaheim to begin with...from california

Disney is not interested in the Angels. Disneyland is busy buying up property to build the 3rd Gate which is a brand new Disney park. They don't have the time or need for the Angels.

You don't think Disney won't make a deal preferable only to Disney for the land and rename the team to whatever they feel like? After all, the renamed them from the California Angels to Anaheim and put the players in movie promotional uniforms.

Disney is King in Anaheim and they bring in the revenue. The Angels are virtually rent free and keep all of the concessions and 95% of the parking revenue. The stadium was already supposed to be in the renovation stage by Arte at a cost of $150 million that he agreed to when he bought the team. The Angels did a half ass job hosting the 2010 All Star Game because the stadium could not accommodate enough press or VIP's. Arte will cash out and sell the team.

That's the toothache for an earache trade. Still go with Arte. Even though the team lucked out and won the World Series under Disney, the team was worth only $150 million when Arte bought it. A team in the second largest market should have been worth a hell of a lot more than that.

Also, don't want to go back to Disney's "Everything But The Kitchen Sink" unis.

I get thqt wveryone is pissed right now, but how many of you remember the disney years?

You guys really think this is worse? Because dipoto left? Is this any more buzzworthy than the collins fiasco? Hamilton bad pub vs tony phillips bad pub? IPs story about why we traded edmonds, a possible HOFr...

I know someone will say disney won a ring, cool. They did that because of a smart GM, not because of disney...not anything because of disney. Arte may shit the bed sometimes but at least he tries. The fact this team was owned by disney and still in the bottom tier of payroll was pathetic.

Under disney we were one of the possible contraction teams...worse uniforms in team history...had cheerleaders....TWO rally monkeys named scoop and clutch...

Cmon guys...

i like how disney handled the collins fiasco...by firing bill bavasi, not keeping him in charge like arte is with scioscia. unlike hamilton, the tony phillips thing wasnt known until after phillips did the drug while arte willingly signed a druggy. as for edmonds, i recall he was traded after he put off surgery on his shoulder until the start of the season which pissed off erstad and mo vaughn. i believe that's why he was traded.

as far as payroll goes, i feel like disney spent a little more wisely while arte spends completely recklessly, giving out top dollar for crappy return on his investments (wells, hamtilon, gmjr, finley, pujols?) i mean the only free agent that really paid off for arte was vlad and he has owned the team for what 13 years now?

and lets not forget the name change fiasco of los angeles angels of anaheim. ya id rather have disney.

Edited by JarsOfClay

I am not sure, but it doesn't seem to work out all that well when publicly traded companies run sports franchises.  The response time is too slow.  

Arte is well intentioned but misguided.  I think there is a learning curve for him as much as anyone else.  Sometimes he's still a kid in a candy store.  

He's old school and puts a lot of weight on his relationships and personal history with people.  

I hope he stays away from the details of running the team and lets the right people make decisions.  

The point was if Arte has billions of dollars there is no excuse for him slumming it and drinking Coors to save a buck.

....again...lol...the beer they are selling at the park belongs to him doesnt it? So whether he buys it from the stand or just grabs it from the cooler its the same thing.

And im not saying this is the point youre making, but the idea that if someone has money they should waste it is silly (again, not implying thats what youre saying). But wven if arte has money, lots of money, if his preference is coors light and lots of it while he watches baseball sp be it.

i like how disney handled the collins fiasco...by firing bill bavasi, not keeping him in charge like arte is with scioscia. unlike hamilton, the tony phillips thing wasnt known until after phillips did the drug while arte willingly signed a druggy. as for edmonds, i recall he was traded after he put off surgery on his shoulder until the start of the season which pissed off erstad and mo vaughn. i believe that's why he was traded.

as far as payroll goes, i feel like disney spent a little more wisely while arte spends completely recklessly, giving out top dollar for crappy return on his investments (wells, hamtilon, gmjr, finley, pujols?) i mean the only free agent that really paid off for arte was vlad and he has owned the team for what 13 years now?

and lets not forget the name change fiasco of los angeles angels of anaheim. ya id rather have disney.

Completely respect your opinion, and thats well thought out post.

Personally, id prefer arte losing his ass on burn jobs like wells and hamilton (as bad as they were) than "more money than most countries" disney that were too cheap to grab randy johnson, and filled the ranks with guys like jack mcdowell and ken hill.

I could forgive disney for silly things like an ugly uniform. Angels in the outfield was embarrassing too, they only bought the team to try and help out the dosney empire. But again, i can look past all that. But having an ownership worth hundreds of billions that kept our payroll down in the lower levels was ridiculous.

The 2000 offense was one of the best of all time. Imagine if they had signed some pitching. The core of the 2002 team was in place in 98, but again, no pitching. We were far outclassed by the rangers and mariners, and the ownership never really seemed to care.

Put it like this, it should say something that within months of winning the first title in team history they were ready to sell...does that really smack of being interested in the team?

Disney is King in Anaheim and they bring in the revenue. The Angels are virtually rent free and keep all of the concessions and 95% of the parking revenue. The stadium was already supposed to be in the renovation stage by Arte at a cost of $150 million that he agreed to when he bought the team. The Angels did a half ass job hosting the 2010 All Star Game because the stadium could not accommodate enough press or VIP's. Arte will cash out and sell the team.

You make some non compelling arguments.

BTW the lack of press or VIP areas is the flaws of a 50 year old stadium, not the owner that inherited the rockpile. 

....again...lol...the beer they are selling at the park belongs to him doesnt it? So whether he buys it from the stand or just grabs it from the cooler its the same thing.

And im not saying this is the point youre making, but the idea that if someone has money they should waste it is silly (again, not implying thats what youre saying). But wven if arte has money, lots of money, if his preference is coors light and lots of it while he watches baseball sp be it.

Let me rephrase (and I get that your post was not necessarily arguing against my earlier post):

Arthur Blank of Home Depot fame and owner of the Atlanta Falcons is the same way, the guy drinks Pabst Blue Ribbon.   I don't know if they are doing it to be cheap or because it was their first beer....  They were both self made millionaires, so maybe they started drinking that swill when they didn't have money and it stuck...    Still trips me out.

You like how they handled something that never happened?  Bill Bavasi resigned....   Disney didn't ride him about Collins BTW, Disney (Tony Tavares), wanted the entire team traded away..  Bavasi disagreed but where he caved and quit, accepting a job as a special assistant ala Reagins, Bill Stoneman told Tavares to STFU and the rest is history.  It was the players that went apeshit about Collins, the mutiny happened when news broke that the team was contemplating an extension -- Tony Tavares was anti player because he was pro Collins...  Thus the famous WHY CANT YOU TRADE THEM ALL quote.

Jim Edmonds didn't delay any surgery -- he hurt his labrum in April of 1999 lifting weights, and had his surgery on April 19th.   He made it back that August and played out the end of that season -- you are right Mo Vaughn did pop off, he questioned Edmonds after Mike DiGiovanna quoted Edmonds as saying he had felt pain in the shoulder for years...   Vaughn FWIW later acknowledged he wasn't at all aware of Edmonds situation and that he was simply reacting/responding to the quote from DiGiovanna..   Edmonds FWIW reportedly threatened to kick DiGiovanna's ass for the incident.

As far as Disney FA signings go....  How many AL MVPs or Cy Youngs did they sign?   I guess Tim Belcher and Jack McDowell both came close to winning the Cy...  I know Ill never forget Jim Leyritz MVP season.

Edited by Inside Pitch

LOL, I  think Lux is more annoyed with his choice of beers....    Whatever you think of what he says about baseball the guy is like the unofficial beer critic of MLB..  He's got dozens of posts about beer, the options and the costs ...  Im not even trying to be a prick -- Lux clearly likes his beer. and hearing about a billionaire choosing to drink Coors has to leave a bad taste in his mouth.

Pretty funny IMO