• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Hospital and Med-Evac Scams

I had a relative who died a few months back.  Still dealing with all of his medical bills.  I thought you guys would enjoy the obscene mark-up on his bills vs what Medicare actually paid.  These providers accept "assignment" from Medicare, which means they accept the Medicare approved amount as full payment for their services. 

First, his hospital bill for 18 days.  The hospital claimed the original total was $276,433:

trinity1.gif

Medicare only offered them $16,409 plus the $1,260 deductible, and they accepted it!  That's a discount of 93% from the hospital's original amount.

trinity.gif

Now, his Med-Evac helicopter flight.  We were originally billed $48,691 but they gladly accepted the $6,859 from Medicare.  86% discount. 

rockymountain.gif

Just goes to show you the dishonesty and lack of transparency that takes place.  I tried to get an itemized statement from the hospital but they don't want to send one.  We really don't need it, but would love to see how they justified $276K.

Edited by mp170.6

I don't understand how hospitals can mark up the cost of basic supplies (i.e. bandages, aspirin, gowns) by a factor of 10x or 20x over the most expensive retail prices and still get away with it.

They're holding their patients hostage knowing they can't walk out and find a cheaper facility.  What's more is that patients in bad shape lack the capacity to observe or question the necessity of many of the expenses they incur. 

The same is true in the workers comp arena. Workers comp carriers pay a fraction of the bill. I am sure standard carriers get huge discounts too.

Hospitals gotta mark their bills up because although you may have insurance, the next four people who walk through the door don't. So your $8,000 media-vac becomes $40,000.

The same is true in the workers comp arena. Workers comp carriers pay a fraction of the bill. I am sure standard carriers get huge discounts too.

Hospitals gotta mark their bills up because although you may have insurance, the next four people who walk through the door don't. So your $8,000 media-vac becomes $40,000.

yeah, thats a good point.

Sorry about the medical bills, that kills me. But if it helps, know you also picked up the tab for the next gangster whos shot and the 30 after him.