• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jerry Dipoto

tdawg87

There are plenty of gm's who wish they could spend $20 mill on 3/5ths of their starting rotation. Nobody's fault but Dipoto. Youre a Gm find the gem. Cant rely on huge names joining the team for a bargain.

Get off that weak ass argument.

I don't know about this. Nearly every pitcher pitching worse than career avg. and many hitters hitting below avg. Blame is first on the players then coaches and manager before the GM.

There are plenty of gm's who wish they could spend $20 mill on 3/5ths of their starting rotation. Nobody's fault but Dipoto. Youre a Gm find the gem. Cant rely on huge names joining the team for a bargain.

Find the gem, duh!  Hilarious.  The real problem is the lack of a farm system, which is clearly not Dipoto's fault.  

Dipoto, in my opinion, is a poor GM.  Poor in the fact that he has not only made poor personnel decisions, but also seems unable to properly manage the owner. 

Arte is great, but the contracts given to AP, CJ Wilson and Hamilton are going to handcuff the team in future years...and it is the job of the GM to be able to make ownership understand that.  Sure, it was great that Arte is willing to fork over the big $$ for superstars, but he paid for past production rather than future production on these contracts.

Also, his job assembling the pitching staff this season is criminal.  Not only are the starting pitchers poor, but the relievers also are every bit as bad (save Fieri), if not worse.  That one is at the feet of Dipoto.

Not having any direct connection to the inner workings of Angel baseball (i.e. video game playing), it appears that Scioscia and Dipoto are in a power struggle.  I would argue that Artie needs to decide who he has more faith in and fire the other person, because they both can not coexist.

I would love to know why we picked Pujols over Fielder. This already looks like a monumental, collosal mistake.

Don't use TV $ as the reason. Winning brings fans and ratings.

Because Fielder is fat and an injury risk.

(Actual argument used by many fans during the 2011/2012 off-season).

Bill Stoneman.  Never took crap from ownership, never worried about scoring points with the fan base.   Got criticized for not making the big signing or the big splash..  Team just won and defied the odds.  Dude knew how to pick up players off the scrap heap, knew how to build a farm, knew how to build a bullpen..   Knew how to build a winner.

Fans hated him.  BTW, the off-season Pujols was signed...  Sciocia, the fat idiot was concerned about the pitching.  He was mocked for it, and JD was celebrated for completely leaving him out of the equation when he signed AP.  The SP imploded, the pen was awful.  

Sometimes people are so full of themselves they can't see when someone else has a clue,

This team has some huge holes...  It needs time to right itself but, if the pitching doesn't improve.. there isn't a manager in MLB that can win with this staff.

You can't fire the owner.

This.  You can't solve a problem by just throwing money at it, no matter the perceived value of what the money is for.  Citations:  U.S. Senate, George Steinbrenner, and possibly Arte Moreno.  I've no real negatives (yet) on DiPoto, because few if any GM's become counterparties to ownership.  And in baseball, 'fixes' take 5 years, and you don't really know your progress until the third year.

How long is this going to last?  I mean, Scioscia and Dipoto HAVE to go, don't they?  Artie has to see it.

In fairness to Scioscia, he did not pick this pitching staff.  Remember how much control he used to have over player personel before Dipoto came on board?  So don't dump on Mike so quickly. 

Bill Stoneman.  Never took crap from ownership, never worried about scoring points with the fan base.   Got criticized for not making the big signing or the big splash..  Team just won and defied the odds.  Dude knew how to pick up players off the scrap heap, knew how to build a farm, knew how to build a bullpen..   Knew how to build a winner.

Hi Bill.

This board will go ballistic when Arte fires DiPoto, puts Scioscia in the front office, and lets Scioscia pick his replacement. That will be a cheap fix due to the contract situations, and I would be fine with it, but some of you will be mortified. Being mortified is like dying, but you're still alive and you're brain goes haywire.

The only issues I ever had with Stoneman were never, eever trading prospects and never, eever offering arb to pending FAs and thus losing the draft picks.    But I can see the latter, with the former in place leading to plenty of prospects anyway. 

And just one other thing:  GMJHGH.

I just wish he had bent a little, and was more willing to trade a prospect or two to help fill in a hole at the MLB level, without depleting the farm.  

Also, his style would have worked better if our scouts were better and thus found better players to draft and sign from Latin America.  

For sure though:  Stoneman >>>>>>>>>>>> Reagins. 

This board will go ballistic when Arte fires DiPoto, puts Scioscia in the front office, and lets Scioscia pick his replacement. That will be a cheap fix due to the contract situations, and I would be fine with it, but some of you will be mortified. Being mortified is like dying, but you're still alive and you're brain goes haywire.

Wow! Thanks for scaring the crap out of me. I hadn't even considered anything like this. Yikes. We would at least get some pitchers who "looked good throwing the ball" and we could admire how "great the ball is coming out of their hands".

In free agency? 3 starting pitchers for 20 million?.... Negative.

Bottom line, the pitching staff right now is the result of having a non-existent farm system. No one to call up (Corbin, Skaggs), no one left to trade for an arm. Very few free agent pitchers available that were very good or good/affordable. I said it back when we signed Hamilton, I would have preferred to stay away and get an arm. But so many around here were ecstatic to get Hamilton.....(not saying everyone was, but the majority were).

EVERYTHING sucks right now. Trout isnt trout. Pujols' foot sucks. Hamilton hasnt gotten going. Weaver is out. Aybar is out (dont underestimate the effect Aybar being out is). 

I still believe Vargas will settle in. He wont be a stud, but I think he'll be decent. Once Trumbo starts hitting with more power, Trout gets back to form, and Hamilton wakes up, Vargas will be decent. Him, CJ< and Weaver when he gets back should be decent. Hanson?....not so confidant. But, he does have upside.

I have zero faith in Blanton being better. Thats the one move I hold Dipoto to the stakes for. Made no sense when he did it, and its showing now.

Its gonna be a long year. But it wont be this bad....

I would love to know why we picked Pujols over Fielder. This already looks like a monumental, collosal mistake.

Yeah, Prince was my choice. Mainly because he's younger, and I figured he would be a lot cheaper than he actually signed for. But I think that was all arte. Same as Hamilton. Arte wants a Lakers team. Big names, Hollywood. Arte would love Oaklands success, but would not want a bunch of relatively non-known guys doing it. (Sadly).

Arte wanted him.  He has coveted him for quite some time or at least that was the rumor.  He saw a significant marketing opportunity.  A way to ensure fan support regardless of winning or losing.  Milestone heaven.  Or at least so he thought.  Whether it plays out as such is questionable. 

Honestly, Hamilton is in the same boat.  Big names.  Lots of press.  Both help the club as individuals yet hurt the club from a flexibility standpoint.  I truly believe that Arte thinks as much of who is on the field as what they do.   Winning is important but not the only factor as to who gets signed. 

Wow! Thanks for scaring the crap out of me. I hadn't even considered anything like this. Yikes. We would at least get some pitchers who "looked good throwing the ball" and we could admire how "great the ball is coming out of their hands".

And the catchers' squat.