• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Big Catorce on Josh Hamilton

Shouldn't such apologies and whining about lack of apologies be more private? If someone apologizes to the teameeting and fans, it's kind of hollow.

Turn the page

is it okay if we just tip the cap?

lkwzos-b78792913z.120110508230351000gfvv

Josh Hamilton hit 43 home runs the year before we signed him. He was viewed as one of the best comeback stories in sports, someone who threw everything away, but salvaged a career and his life at the last minute.

Why some people on here blame Arte for the fact that Hamilton regressed into his former self is beyond me. Arte wanted his team to win. He needed a left handed bat and he needed power.

Don't rip an owner who spends money trying to make his team better. Rip the guy who doesn't. He's the one ripping off his fans.

But people prefer the Disney ownership.

Josh Hamilton hit 43 home runs the year before we signed him. He was viewed as one of the best comeback stories in sports, someone who threw everything away, but salvaged a career and his life at the last minute.

Why some people on here blame Arte for the fact that Hamilton regressed into his former self is beyond me. Arte wanted his team to win. He needed a left handed bat and he needed power.

Don't rip an owner who spends money trying to make his team better. Rip the guy who doesn't. He's the one ripping off his fans.

Yep. I hated the deal at the time and said so. Most on here were ecstatic.

It was a dumb move at the time (we needed pitching), and in the end a horrible move (probably couldnt have gone worse), but you cant fault moreno for trying. If hamilton would have just continued to play to his abilities, even away from arlington, this would have been a very dangerous offense. Its just too bad the guy turned out to be a sh*tbird.

Yep. I hated the deal at the time and said so. Most on here were ecstatic.

It was a dumb move at the time (we needed pitching), and in the end a horrible move (probably couldnt have gone worse), but you cant fault moreno for trying. If hamilton would have just continued to play to his abilities, even away from arlington, this would have been a very dangerous offense. Its just too bad the guy turned out to be a sh*tbird.

I was concerned about his ability to survive away from Texas, given that they had put together the ideal supportive environment that allowed him to flourish, and I believed that their relative lack of effort in re-signing him was a huge red flag.

Arte did what most fans do and brought emotion to the table.  But a bad decision is a bad decision regardless of a persons enthusiasm for it.  He employees and pays a lot of money to people who help make those decisions for a living and he didn't use their knowledge. 

One thing I think we know from all that has happened this year is that Arte puts a lot of stock in relationships and what he gathers from sitting across the table from someone.  It's why he chose to stick with Scioscia and why he chose to eat 80mil dollars.  

Arte wants a championship and I applaud him for that.  But allowing his personal feelings toward someone be his only guide is a dangerous game.   

When this much money gets spent on a player or manager, I would want to sit down with them and have a relationship as well.  I get what you are saying though, he additionally needs to hear the risks or negatives to the situation from others who work for him before taking the plunge.  Maybe he did with Pujols and Hamiton, and Scioscia for that matter, but chose to value the reward over the risk.

When this much money gets spent on a player or manager, I would want to sit down with them and have a relationship as well.  I get what you are saying though, he additionally needs to hear the risks or negatives to the situation from others who work for him before taking the plunge.  Maybe he did with Pujols and Hamiton, and Scioscia for that matter, but chose to value the reward over the risk.

All of those deals strike me as not being well thought out. Aside from Mike Trout and maybe two or three other players in all of baseball, I would not give any player a ten-year deal, and I certainly wouldn't give one to a player over 30. That goes double for a manager. The manager sets the tone in the clubhouse and on the field, and what happens if, three years into that ten-year contract, you see that the manager has lost the team and you are going backward? Ten years is a long time to lock yourself into a relationship with anyone in baseball. At least Hamilton's deal is shorter, if no less ill conceived.