• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sociology prof: "Whiteness is terror."

Why would you even go to college to major in this? What job could you possibly get with this major, other than Professor of Sociology?

It is one of those self-perpetuating degrees, IMO. You get a doctorate in it so that you can teach it to others. As far as real world applications, bachelor's degrees in social sciences are a dime a dozen and they don't qualify you for much of anything unless the position requires a bachelor's degree and isn't too particular about the major. Graduate degrees in them don't pay well in relation to the expenditure required to get them. I have a BA in psychology and it got me a dead-end desk job with a state agency. That is why I wound up going back to school in my late 30s to get a degree that I could make a decent living with.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I agree with your assessment of the value of social science degrees.

It is one of those self-perpetuating degrees, IMO. You get a doctorate in it so that you can teach it to others. As far as real world applications, bachelor's degrees in social sciences are a dime a dozen and they don't qualify you for much of anything unless the position requires a bachelor's degree and isn't too particular about the major. Graduate degrees in them don't pay well in relation to the expenditure required to get them. I have a BA in psychology and it got me a dead-end desk job with a state agency. That is why I wound up going back to school in my late 30s to get a degree that I could make a decent living with.

Psychology is a bit more individualized, at least at the graduate degree level. As far as sociology and social work, absolutely.

You're right. I haven't really considered psychology a social science, but I guess it's generalizations used to treat individuals. Psychiatry is different, of course.

When I think of social science degrees, I think of the Enterprise Rent-a-Car commercial in which they brag that they are the nation's largest employer of college graduates (which is really sad when you think about it). I suppose that had my life taken a different turn, I could have been asking you if you wanted to upgrade to a mid-sized car for another $5 per day or if you wanted a collision damage waiver. That would have been worth four years of college.

You're right. I haven't really considered psychology a social science, but I guess it's generalizations used to treat individuals. Psychiatry is different, of course.

Yes, since psychiatry requires that one be an MD. The primary difference is that psychiatrists can prescribe medication while psychologists cannot.

Yes, since psychiatry requires that one be an MD. The primary difference is that psychiatrists can prescribe medication while psychologists cannot.

I'm agnostic about psychology, but psychiatry seems to be one field that really has helped people  Imagine all of the wasted time trying to talk people to health who had a physical/chemical problem.

I'm agnostic about psychology, but psychiatry seems to be one field that really has helped people  Imagine all of the wasted time trying to talk people to health who had a physical/chemical problem.

I worked in mental health for years, and I have seen it run the gamut. I have known some psychologists who did some good for the people who they counseled, and some who were more screwed up than anyone who walked through the door. I had a saying when I worked inpatient mental health, "Not all of the nut cases are on the other side of the desk."

Then there were the wannabe counselors, people who believed that they had the requisite skills to counsel people with legitimate mental health issues despite not having the necessary training. It isn't that untrained people cannot do any good, but some of them delved into areas that they were not prepared to handle and they may have done some harm.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Shes not a kook. The way she thinks is mainstream soft science thought. Remember,the Marxist idea of dialectic emphasizes opposition, whether it's rich-poor, race versus race, or male-female.

If you see these statements through that philosophy, it all kind of makes sense.

If you think that sounds dumb, polls of professors show that more than half sympathize with Marxism.

Edited by Juan Savage

I haven't seen any such polls, but OK.

I was looking for the poll. The ones I find now are 25% social science professors self identify as Marxists. I think the one I saw before said that half of professors are somewhat Marxist .

Marxists are easy to spot since they say things like "power structure" a lot.

Edited by Juan Savage