• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

55 years of isolation coming to an end

For the first time in 55 years, the United States and Cuba will each have an embassy in the other's capital.

I know that there will be some pushback from refugees and others, but the embargo has not accomplished anything. It is a Cold War relic, a failed policy that should have been abandoned decades ago. It was meant to force Castro out of power, but the only thing that caused that was infirmity and old age. It gave him a built-in excuse as to why things sucked for his people, as opposed to him having to take responsibility. It was well intentioned, but for at least the last 30-40 years it has been kept for no good reason.

U.S., Cuba to Announce Deal to Open Foreign Embassies

For the first time in 55 years, the United States and Cuba will each have an embassy in the other's capital.

I know that there will be some pushback from refugees and others, but the embargo has not accomplished anything. It is a Cold War relic, a failed policy that should have been abandoned decades ago. It was meant to force Castro out of power, but the only thing that caused that was infirmity and old age. It gave him a built-in excuse as to why things sucked for his people, as opposed to him having to take responsibility. It was well intentioned, but for at least the last 30-40 years it has been kept for no good reason.

U.S., Cuba to Announce Deal to Open Foreign Embassies

A+ post Vegas

Fat Americans are going to ruin Cuba.

But think of the jobs it will create over there in motorized cart rentals.  I would imagine a hoveround over there is a lawn mower engine attached to the back of a shopping cart but improvements will be made.  

Cuba is a totalitarian state that:

1. Confiscated US property.

2. Exported communist war throughout the world.

3. Kills thousands of people and brutally represses dissent.

4. Has no respect for human rights of any kind.

5. Opposed US interests everywhere.

It does this today with the same leaders that did all of the above. It hasn't changed one bit.

BUT WHATEVER.

I'm sure if apartheid had lasted a little longer, people would have given up because it didn't work.

We're not here to bicker and argue about who killed who...

Kudos for the Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference.

She's rich, she's beautiful, she's got huge...tracts of land!

It still amazes me that people bring up communism and human rights violations with Cuba, when our biggest trade partner is China. Besides, the embargo ended all of that, or it will if we keep it for another 55 years.

Apparently Juan Savage hasn't heard that Fidel Castro stepped down four years ago.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

He did step down. After searching the island for his replacement,it turns out the most qualified person was his brother.

Look,if you guys don't care about helping a totalitarian state stay afloat for no reason, then go ahead.

Kudos for the Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference.

She's rich, she's beautiful, she's got huge...tracts of land!

It still amazes me that people bring up communism and human rights violations with Cuba, when our biggest trade partner is China. Besides, the embargo ended all of that, or it will if we keep it for another 55 years.

Apparently Juan Savage hasn't heard that Fidel Castro stepped down four years ago.

I have no doubt that this decision was made at the insistence of our government's corporate ownership. We need new markets, new revenue streams, new sources of cheap labor. And by God we f'in love dictators who can be bought.

tend to agree with you. nothing's really changed in how cuba is governed. still have a terrible human rights record.

I have no doubt that this decision was made at the insistence of our government's corporate ownership. We need new markets, new revenue streams, new sources of cheap labor. And by God we f'in love dictators who can be bought.

I think that may have been a factor. I also think Obama likes Castro or doesn't think of him as a bad guy. Lots of presidents have resisted opening up Cuba before him.