• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kaleb Cowart at SLC so far....

I've been trying to find another example where the player became a solid major leaguer. I've yet to do so. Most are guys that figure it out at 26/27.

Still striking out a fair amount, but small sample is dwindling and he's starting to add some slg to his hits. I can discount when guys do this over 100 ab with a bunch of singles, but his 13 xbh make this less of an aberration.

Now that I look at it, it is pretty BABIP fueled... hope it's not just luck. The BB rate is pretty good and the K rate is not terrible. Given the .400 BABIP, it does make sense that the Angels haven't given him a shot yet in the show - still in "prove it" mode I'd guess. I really, really hope he does.

3-4 with a double and HR tonight (his second in as many days). His batting average is up to .330 and he's playing 3B regularly, with Kubitza in LF. 

Wow.... Could you imagine the Angels saying screw FA and putting Cowart at 3B and Kubitza in LF? LOL that would be a turnaround for sure. Probably very unlikely but I guess weirder things have happened.

EDIT: Look at his home/road splits they are like night and day, really weird.

Edited by ettin

Wow.... Could you imagine the Angels saying screw FA and putting Cowart at 3B and Kubitza in LF? LOL that would be a turnaround for sure. Probably very unlikely but I guess weirder things have happened.

EDIT: Look at his home/road splits they are like night and day, really weird.

Where are you looking at his splits at?   Not seeing a great deal of variance at SLC  http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=592230#/splits/R/hitting/2015/MINORS  His LH/RH splits are pretty wild though -- he is wrecking RHP.

Where are you looking at his splits at?   Not seeing a great deal of variance at SLC  http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=592230#/splits/R/hitting/2015/MINORS  His LH/RH splits are pretty wild though -- he is wrecking RHP.

MinorLeagueCentral.com: http://www.minorleaguecentral.com/player?pid=592230&type=batter&split=2015

EDIT: He's dominating RHP and only on the Road in the PCL. The sample size is too small for his at-bats in AAA however. The one good sign is his LD% rate from both sides of the plate.

Edited by ettin

Call him up!

The sample sizes are too small, the past is too suspect, and he may be too young yet for  call up.  Let him stay in SLC until their season ends.  If he finishes up like this then he can maybe be a September call up for a little look.  Freese and Featherston are the role players for this year.  LF is a bigger issue moving forward.

MinorLeagueCentral.com: http://www.minorleaguecentral.com/player?pid=592230&type=batter&split=2015

EDIT: He's dominating RHP and only on the Road in the PCL. The sample size is too small for his at-bats in AAA however. The one good sign is his LD% rate from both sides of the plate.

Holy small sample size indeed.  I only see 3 games at home in SLC, and 3 games on the road with SLC.

No July stats at all on that source?

Looks like the numbers at that site are outdated... 

Ok, doing a bit of extrapolation.

From the Minor League Central site, Cowart's splits at Inland Empire were:

Home:  120 PA, 25 for 107 (.234 AVG), 11 BB (.308 OBP), 4 2B, 3 3B, 1 HR (.355 SLG, .663 OPS)

Away:  101 PA, 22 for 87 (.253 AVG), 11 BB (.347 OBP), 10 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR (.425 SLG, .772 OPS)

baseball reference doesn't split him between SLC and IE, just gives an overall Home and Away, and those numbers are

Home:  188 PA, 46 for 167 (.275 AVG), 18 BB (.346 OBP), 7 2B, 3 3B, 4 HR (.425 SLG, .771 OPS)

Away:  162 PA, 38 for 139 (.273 AVG), 20 BB (.370 OBP), 13 2B, 4 3B, 2 HR (.468 SLG, .838 OPS)

So looks to me that he's up across the board both home and away since his promotion.

At SLC:  68 PA, 21 for 60 (.350 AVG), 7 BB (.418 OBP), 3 2B, 3 HR (.550 SLG, .968 OPS)

rest of PCL:  61 PA, 16 for 52 (.308 AVG), 9 BB (.410 OBP), 3 2B, 3 3B, 1 HR (.538 SLG, .948 OPS)

Call him up on August 31st that way he is available for the post season as the defensive replacement since all we have heard is how great he is defensively. Also looking at his stolen bases, you would think he could run a bit. He would be a more dangerous version (since he has some pop) than Featherston. So then he and I guess Green would both make the post season roster, along with our back up catcher, and a fourth outfielder. Since we have Cron he will be the DH that has almost zero value defensively.

Call him up on August 31st that way he is available for the post season as the defensive replacement since all we have heard is how great he is defensively. Also looking at his stolen bases, you would think he could run a bit. He would be a more dangerous version (since he has some pop) than Featherston. So then he and I guess Green would both make the post season roster, along with our back up catcher, and a fourth outfielder. Since we have Cron he will be the DH that has almost zero value defensively.

+1

Although in the past, putting another player on the DL has allowed them to have someone on the post-season roster who was called up after August 31.

K-Rod in 2002 was the prime example.   He was called up in mid-September when someone else went on the DL, and he of course went on to excel in the post-season.