• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Looking to Trade for Hitting (MLBTR)

It's a dream but Michael Brantely would look nice in LF.

I've come so close to suggesting this very thing a couple times now, and I shut myself down thinking "No one would ever actually think this is possible".  Who knows, maybe it is.  The Indians are 12 GB and will probably be in rebuilding mode here soon.  They'll be looking for young OF's, SP, and RP.  Trusting that the Angels would need to overpay dearly for his services, the Angels may actually have what it takes to acquire Brantley if he's available.

He has a team friendly contract and is in his physical prime.  Basically, he's going to be the most expensive acquisition imaginable right now.  The best and most recent comp available as far as trades go is what the Blue Jays paid for Josh Donaldson.  

In terms of Angels, we're talking Sean Newcomb, Nick Tropeano, C.J. Cron, Natanael Delgado and Victor Alcantara.  That's a hell of a price, but if you're going to surrender all that, Michael Brantley's the one you do it for.  My only concern is what it might do to the Angels future pitching depth.  It'd be Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Ellis and Smith/Long.  That's not bad, but it's missing a solid young #2 LHSP. 

What do you guys think, would you trade Newcomb, Tropeano, Cron, Delgado and Alcantara for three years of Michael Brantley?

I agree that is a hell of a price that you made up, Scotty.

Extremely steep, but again, it's based off what the A's got for Donaldson, adjusted for inflation because of the trade deadline and the fact that anything less would cause me to be labeled as too much of a homer, which I probably am.  But if I'm going to treat this like a real-world scenerio, in the real world, the Indians don't want to trade Michael Brantley.  So you have to offer the sort of package that forces them to strongly consider it. 

I feel like that package does. 

I mean Brantley's great, but that's a future top of the rotation starter, mid rotation starter, DH/1B, corner OF and closer. 

I don't think Cleveland would even make that trade honestly.  Alcantra has been terrible this year, and Delgado is a super young project piece.  Cron is probably destined to 4A purgatory or he figures it out and becomes an average DH.  You don't really see 5-6 for 1 trades anymore because sellers are in the minority since the new playoff format, and teams either want high end prospects or at least a few guys that are near MLB ready.

The package would probably start at Newcomb+Heaney. 

Edited by Reveille1984

sub trop for another (maybe rucinski  :)    we might be needing trop in the rotation this year.    

i would rather the trades be a little simpler and smaller this year...all but two of our offensive players are crappy and they need to wake up...i would hate to shoot our juice and we stay in the funk.

if a trade was floated out there to clevland...it should be with attitude of take it or leave it as we can go somewhere else...but a big offer nevertheless to them

i don't want to take this off course, but there's a discussion in the comments on that link that highlight the exact reasons why i don't trust WAR, in either of it's formulations. revere is the 12th best outfielder this season? wtf.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=of&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2015&month=0&season1=2015&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Revere's 1.6 puts him in a tie for 27th among all MLB outfielders.   Most of his value appears to be with the glove, however, and that side of the stat doesn't always agree with the eyeball test (I could be convinced that Revere is a little bit better with the glove than Trout - that's possible.  I cannot be convinced that Trout is a even a slight net negative in center field, but the stat says he's worth -0.1 there.)

Revere does, however, lead the Phillies in WAR.  And his 1.6 is nearly a 3 full win upgrade over Matt Joyce (-1.3).  So... yeah.

Although Michael Brantley would certainly be a big boost in the arm for our team, the Indians are still within spitting distance of a Wild Card spot and have the starting pitching that could carry them there so I'm not confident that they are actually sellers yet. They'll likely wait closer to the deadline to see if they improve or not. Also they just signed Brantley to a long term team friendly contract to keep them as part of their core group for the next few years so I'm not sure they would even be interested in moving him at all?

Revere is indeed one big reason why I simply do not trust WAR completely, only as a base-line, and defensive metrics....not in the least.  Anything that tries to convince me Ben Revere is even in the same neighborhood defensively as Mike Trout is just plain silly.

Revere is a good player, and I'd welcome him in a trade at the right price, but under no circumstance am I willing to entertain the thought that he's one of the Top 20 OF's in baseball or a better defensive CF than Mike Trout.