• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels need to sell and retool

SoWhat

This roster has too many holes and not enough assets to fix it midseason. One or two bats isn't going to fix this offense, seven out of nine hitters in our lineup have an OPS+ under 100. The starting pitching has three starters with an ERA+ under 100, it's time to let Heaney and Tropeano claim rotation spots.

The only trade chips from the big league roster with some value is Joe Smith, Huston Street and maybe C.J. Wilson. Dipoto has no choice but to have to tap into the young pitching in order help to fix this mess. They should be looking to acquire cost controlled bats in return for their cost controlled pitching, not guys like Howard, Revere, Moss, Ethier and other names that have been mentioned here.

Anyway, what are your guys' stance on this mess, buy and make a run or sell and retool for the future?

Edited by SoWhat

Huston Street as a trade chip?

Call in the season 4.5 GB in June?

Trade the cost controlled SP for cost controlled bats?

As QM said, "No."

We're at the midpoint of the season

Only two hitters in the lineup aren't below league average

Three starters in the rotation are below league average and won't be removed

The bullpen is decent at best

so please, tell me how in the hell is this team going to make a run and how do you fix the holes without giving up cost controlled pitching? I'll wait, genius. 

I still think it is too early to call it quits. There is still potential in this team but they need to find a lot of it soon. We aren't that much different from last year's squad that everyone had confidence in.

If they can find a good LF who can lead off and a middle of the order left-handed bat to DH things could swing further in our favor. The next 30 days will show us which direction we're going.

I would not let go of Street until he's done with his career.

I actually completely forgot about his extension when I wrote the OP. I was thinking of trading Street and re-signing him in the offseason, but never mind that now

I still think it is too early to call it quits. There is still potential in this team but they need to find a lot of it soon. We aren't that much different from last year's squad that everyone had confidence in.If they can find a good LF who can lead off and a middle of the order left-handed bat to DH things could swing further in our favor. The next 30 days will show us which direction we're going.

I just think there's too many holes on this team. This team hasn't shown any sign of turning it around and theres too many underperforming players to make me think that they can.

I just think there's too many holes on this team. This team hasn't shown any sign of turning it around and theres too many underperforming players to make me think that they can.

Which means that we dump some of the few productive players we have while keeping the non-productive ones and get worse. Solid plan. Don't understand why some organization hasn't already snapped you up to be a GM.

Which means that we dump some of the few productive players we have while keeping the non-productive ones and get worse. Solid plan. Don't understand why some organization hasn't already snapped you up to be a GM.

lol you arent getting shit for Freese, Joyce and Iannetta. Wilson can be replaced by Tropeano or Heaney. Relievers can be easily replaced through free agency in the offseason. The reason I'd trade those guys is to collect prospects to flip, that they way we don't have to part with a majority of the young arms.

Edited by SoWhat

I agree there are holes So and I also agree that we've been limping along here a bit but I can't help but think that members of this team (Freese, Iannetta, Aybar, Calhoun) are capable of putting it together.

I can definitely see why you are expressing this opinion but I think we play in a Division that could go to anyone and if the Angels turn it on here in the next 30 days (winning series) we'll be in better shape in short order.

Besides the trade market is frozen in place. We could sell assets but we'd be the only ones selling right now and we wouldn't get back as much as if we wait in the 2 weeks leading up to the deadline anyway.

We have to wait whether we like it or not. Even then it won't be a fire sale it will be re-tooling type moves for next year.

I agree there are holes So and I also agree that we've been limping along here a bit but I can't help but think that members of this team (Freese, Iannetta, Aybar, Calhoun) are capable of putting it together.

I can definitely see why you are expressing this opinion but I think we play in a Division that could go to anyone and if the Angels turn it on here in the next 30 days (winning series) we'll be in better shape in short order.

Besides the trade market is frozen in place. We could sell assets but we'd be the only ones selling right now and we wouldn't get back as much as if we wait in the 2 weeks leading up to the deadline anyway.

We have to wait whether we like it or not. Even then it won't be a fire sale it will be re-tooling type moves for next year.

Thank you, finally someone who understands my point and isn't a complete asshat about it.

Nothing to sell worth selling. Have to keep the young future starters in the minors cause you can never have enough arms.

The reason I'd trade the few valuable trade pieces we have is to acquire prospects to flip for a bat in order to keep as many as those young arms as we can. The only other way to fix these holes is through free agency. Does anyone feel comfortable giving Heyward or Upton over $200M? Don't think so.

Thank you, finally someone who understands my point and isn't a complete asshat about it.

Your suggestions were lousy in the opinion of most (all?) of the people who replied. Even the one poster who "understands your point" didn't actually agree with you. I'm not trying to be an asshole, really I'm not, but when your post calls for selling off Huston Street... you're gonna have a bad time. I realize you later said you had forgotten about his extension.

If you had made this exact post in a month minus the Street part it wouldn't come across to me as insane, only pessimistic. 

lol you arent getting shit for Freese, Joyce and Iannetta. Wilson can be replaced by Tropeano or Heaney. Relievers can be easily replaced through free agency in the offseason. The reason I'd trade those guys is to collect prospects to flip, that they way we don't have to part with a majority of the young arms.

That's the point. You aren't getting "prospects" for anyone we have to offer. Wilson is owed too much money to bring much back, and relievers aren't going to bring much either.

Your suggestions were lousy in the opinion of most (all?) of the people who replied. Even the one poster who "understands your point" didn't actually agree with you. I'm not trying to be an asshole, really I'm not, but when your post calls for selling off Huston Street... you're gonna have a bad time. I realize you later said you had forgotten about his extension.

If you had made this exact post in a month minus the Street part it wouldn't come across to me as insane, only pessimistic.

lol please tell me how you'd fix this team now and in the future. I'd really love to hear it

That's the point. You aren't getting "prospects" for anyone we have to offer. Wilson is owed too much money to bring much back, and relievers aren't going to bring much either.

In your first post you called them productive players and now you're saying they won't bring anything back. I'm pretty sure a team will give up a decent piece for a productive player, don't you think? Lol

It depends, if the Angels eat a bit of salary they can get a decent prospect in return for Wilson. Relievers are very valuable around this time of year. Look at last year, Escobar for half a season of Miller, Thompson for Soria. I'm not saying Smith can bring back a prospect like those, but a reliever like himself can fetch something nice.

Edited by SoWhat