• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SOE: Angels need to trade for Ryan Howard

I'd say if Howard costs 5 million a year and costs no more than a middling prospect in A Ball, then sure. He'd be a decent platoon DH.

But even then, I'm leaning toward no. I mean why hold a platoon DH unless there's the opportunity to grow into more, which I don't see in Howard.

No, Scotty, he would not be a decent platoon at DH. Howard doesn't really even bring a bat to the position of DH, his season has gone from April hitting .194/.247/.417 to a decent May back to .203/.241/.403 in June. He is not worth any dollar figure to sink the Angels offense further while they test to see if he can bounce back. He's not bouncing back.

No, Scotty, he would not be a decent platoon at DH. Howard doesn't really even bring a bat to the position of DH, his season has gone from April hitting .194/.247/.417 to a decent May back to .203/.241/.403 in June. He is not worth any dollar figure to sink the Angels offense further while they test to see if he can bounce back. He's not bouncing back.

racist

Yeah, pretty much.  I mean I feel like he's better than Joyce, but that's like eating dog crap is better than a kick to the nuts. 

Yeah, pretty much.  I mean I feel like he's better than Joyce, but that's like eating dog crap is better than a kick to the nuts. 

Joyce is only here for the balance of this season, I'd tough it out.  As a matter of fact, I wouldn't do anything that adds significant salary at this point.  If we don't make the playoffs so be it, I'd rather protect the future, and move on to better choices after this season ends.

I really already think we found a better outfielder than Joyce, and that's Navarro.  He has a lot of good things going on, but he's not a power hitter or big time run producer.  But he does seem like a seasoned and smart player who can finish this year for us.  Pretty much the same can be said for Robertson.

I would say the biggest need is an effective power bat at DH (where the hell did you go CJ Cron?).  A hot CJ Cron would be a perfect protection bat for Pujols, but he's trying to perfect his AAAA image.

Edited by tomsred

Joyce is only here for the balance of this season, I'd tough it out. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't do anything that adds significant salary at this point. If we don't make the playoffs so be it, I'd rather protect the future, and move on to better choices after this season ends.

I really already think we found a better outfielder than Joyce, and that's Navarro. He has a lot of good things going on, but he's not a power hitter or big time run producer. But he does seem like a seasoned and smart player who can finish this year for us. Pretty much the same can be said for Robertson.

I would say the biggest need is an effective power bat at DH (where the hell did you go CJ Cron?). A hot CJ Cron would be a perfect protection bat for Pujols, but he's trying to perfect his AAAA image.

I think part off agrees with you, that we need to preserve the future, and the other days we're only a couple games out of a playoff spot and have so much excess pitching depth that it may be foolish not to make a move.

So what I propose is a hybrid of the two, which is what it appears the Angels are doing. Keep the high end pitching talent, like Heaney, Newcomb and Ellis. Dangle CJ Wilson, Tropeano, Alcantara and Rhoades. That should be enough to not only clear significant payroll space but also bring in a quality LF or DH from the left side.

That would still leave the Angels with a 2017 rotation if Richards, Newcomb, Heaney, Skaggs and either Shoe, Santiago or Nate Smith as 5th starter. That's an elite group of arms. I'd love to make sure they have run support and the financial flexibility to pay them and keep them around long term.