• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rasmus and Morin

Don't forget that Rasmus was starting for us at one point and did well in that capacity. It wouldn't completely shock me if either a) he replaces someone in the rotation and/or b ) He is showcased in a possible trade for a bat.

Personally I like Rasmus and I hope he stays but he gives flexibility in decision making.

Edited by ettin

Bedrock is getting there and he's much better than he was last year but Salas is borderline worthless. Rasmus and Morin being added to this pen could be huge. Love Gott in the 7th inning.

I have a different view of Bedrock based on what I've seen so far.  He's very jepsenesque.  Really good arm and a great secondary pitch.  But that slider is negated by the fact that his fastball is pretty darn straight and hittable because he's always in hitters counts.  Maybe he gets there eventually, but he also seems overwhelmed when he's up in the bigs.  

Cam's still adjusting to the majors. He works ahead in the minors but I feel like in the majors, he's trying to strike very batter out with one pitch. Once he relaxes and finds his groove he'll be very good.

Morin will also be an excellent RP, in fact last year he really already was. But he has some things he was working through prior to injury. The Angels will likely keep him down until he shows them the necessary progress, particularly in using his curve ball.

Rasmus is going to take Alvarez's spot as a multiple inning RP and spot starter, except the Angels trust him a lot more than they do Alvarez. Jose's been really lucky to this point and even with that luck he just isn't that good. Rasmus is.

Salas is staying up. He's a favorite of Scioscia's because he feels he can be used in any role. It's stupid but that's the way Mike works. Once Morin is fully ready with the curve, he'll come up and take Bedrock's spot, which it could be a week or a month. Unless if course Cam figures it out, in which case you guys might get your wish with Salas.

Bullpen depth is a beautiful thing. Thanks Jerry.

Rasmus is going to take Alvarez's spot as a multiple inning RP and spot starter, except the Angels trust him a lot more than they do Alvarez. Jose's been really lucky to this point and even with that luck he just isn't that good. Rasmus is.

Salas is staying up. He's a favorite of Scioscia's because he feels he can be used in any role. It's stupid but that's the way Mike works. Once Morin is fully ready with the curve, he'll come up and take Bedrock's spot, which it could be a week or a month. Unless if course Cam figures it out, in which case you guys might get your wish with Salas.

Lucky how?  Are you saying guys have missed taking him deep or something because he seems to have pitched to his numbers.   I've not seen a lot of his performance so, I'm asking what I may have missed and not questioning your choice of words.

BTW, I've gone on and on about my irrational hate of Fernando Salas...  I'll continue to say I don't trust the guy at all -- but he's pitched better than his ERA would have us believe.   So, while I dislike the guy, I agree he isn't likely to get dumped.

Having somewhat defended Salas.... I now hate myself.

Bedrock is getting there and he's much better than he was last year but Salas is borderline worthless. Rasmus and Morin being added to this pen could be huge. Love Gott in the 7th inning.

Bedrock Jr. was progressing, and then his past 4 appearances happened (3 2/3 innings, 8 hits, 2 BBs, 4 earned runs, multiple inherited runners scoring).

He needs the rest of this season in AAA, once either Rasmus or Morin is ready to be activated.

I was at the game. Rasmus made quick work in his 2 ip.

Morin appeared to me to really slow down his motion/arm speed when throwing off speed pitches. The radar gun must have been really whacky because he topped 98 on one of his fastballs and was as slow as 71 on one of his off speed pitches...

Salas' peripherals: FIP 2.54, xFIP 3.45, SIERA 2.90, BABIP .318 (vs. 279 career). Probably should have an ERA closer to 3.20-3.40 rather than his current 4.50.

Oh and the other thing about Salas over his entire career he has been almost equally effective against both LHP and RHP (SLG against of .369 and .375).

This year lefties have hurt Salas more than normal. Versus lefties he has a .382 BABIP so he's been unlucky too. The peripherals point to much better performance against lefties this year so hopefully he'll improve.

Not sure we should give up on Salas yet but it is a small sample size. Either way he has good K%-BB% vs both sides of the plate so I feel confident he'll improve in short order.

Salas' peripherals: FIP 2.54, xFIP 3.45, SIERA 2.90, BABIP .318 (vs. 279 career). Probably should have an ERA closer to 3.20-3.40 rather than his current 4.50.

I never have understood how the "should be closer to..." argument is relevant....Something he's doing is keeping him from the "should be" numbers....Could be he has good velocity but his fastball is flat....Could be anything.....it's like Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are....

I never have understood how the "should be closer to..." argument is relevant....Something he's doing is keeping him from the "should be" numbers....Could be he has good velocity but his fastball is flat....Could be anything.....it's like Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are....

It's particularly relevant because his K%-BB% is very good on both sides of the plate. High strikeouts and low walks are indicative of a good pitcher meaning that those he hasn't struck out have gotten an unnatural number of hits, particularly left-handed hitters. His ERA should be closer to what I stated above.

Things like FIP, xFIP, SIERA, BABIP are all reflective of things that aren't entirely within the pitcher's control. They include accounting for park effects, fielding (or lack thereof) of the defense behind him, etc.

It's particularly relevant because his K%-BB% is very good on both sides of the plate. High strikeouts and low walks are indicative of a good pitcher meaning that those he hasn't struck out have gotten an unnatural number of hits, particularly left-handed hitters. His ERA should be closer to what I stated above.

Is it possible though that he tips his pitches with runners on base?

Seems that he normally does well starting off an inning.   Coming in with runner(s) on, or allowing a runner to reach base, seems to unravel him a lot.

Is it possible though that he tips his pitches with runners on base?

Seems that he normally does well starting off an inning.   Coming in with runner(s) on, or allowing a runner to reach base, seems to unravel him a lot.

Maybe his BF ("Balls Factor") is low, indicating he doesn't have the balls to come in with runners on and get out of the situation with minimal damage.