• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If we could only emulate the Astros

I think the Astros are more like the Royals than the Cards.  They have definitely turned it around and will have a winning season this year, but they are 2-3 years away from making it to the playoffs.

That said, it still doesn't change the fact that this Angels team is still looking like a .500 team at best for 2015.

No thanks!!

I'll take my Halos playing .500 ball all season and just barely win the AL Wild Card.

Then watch them play the best baseball of their season.

And if not, then there is always next season.

Go Halos!!!

Edited by 19HALO71

Emulating the Astros (and the Cubs, for that matter) would involve several years of high draft picks, which assumes last place finishes. While I'm not opposed to rebuilding so that the farm system can be restocked with an eye toward the future, I don't think that is possible while Pujols and especially Trout are under contract.

Emulating the Astros (and the Cubs, for that matter) would involve several years of high draft picks, which assumes last place finishes. While I'm not opposed to rebuilding so that the farm system can be restocked with an eye toward the future, I don't think that is possible while Pujols and especially Trout are under contract.

While Arte is the owner. He wouldn't allow last place finishes.

Complete rebuilds take a very long time. So for those of you in favor of a rebuild you have to choose, trade Trout to speed up the process or expect Trout to walk when his contract is up because he will be playing on a very bad team for the last five years of his contract.

Complete rebuilds take a very long time. So for those of you in favor of a rebuild you have to choose, trade Trout to speed up the process or expect Trout to walk when his contract is up because he will be playing on a very bad team for the last five years of his contract.

That's why I said that as long as Trout is under contract, it won't happen.

Of course, if he's traded, it would go a long way toward restocking the system.

I don't think that the Astros will fall off only because the division is so weak. They are certainly better than the Angels, Mariners and As.

The Angels have dug a huge hole by spending huge amounts on a few players and giving up draft picks in return. It takes time to rebuild a farm system to a point where you can relie on a few yearly replacements. Houston and Pittsburgh are examples of this. Sometimes being a big market club can be a curse. Now that Arte has set the limit on spending it makes it more difficult to add free agents to fill positions of need. The prudent way to build a team is through the farm. Free agency is a crapshoot.

If you look at the final 2011 Angels roster you will clearly see that 90+% of this team was completely rebuilt already.

If you look at the final 2011 Angels roster you will clearly see that 90+% of this team was completely rebuilt already.

Rebuilds are more about having minor league depth than it is just going out and signing a bunch of guys that fill out a major league roster.

Rebuilds are more about having minor league depth than it is just going out and signing a bunch of guys that fill out a major league roster.

So the "we don't rebuild, we just reload" system no longer applies? I think that Dipoto has put his signature on this team and it's not working. I was kinda surprised that Arte jumped the gun on picking up Dipoto's option so early. It's not like he was going anywhere. I mean we are a .500 team right now so we are no better than we were when Dipoto was hired. This is his team.

I would not under any circumstance trade Trout for a rebuild.

I am not under any circumstances suggesting that Trout be traded. I was just throwing it out there that if this team wants to rebuild, he would net a pretty nice haul if he were traded.

So the "we don't rebuild, we just reload" system no longer applies? I think that Dipoto has put his signature on this team and it's not working. I was kinda surprised that Arte jumped the gun on picking up Dipoto's option so early. It's not like he was going anywhere. I mean we are a .500 team right now so we are no better than we were when Dipoto was hired. This is his team.

It's really hard to reload without rebuilding. Saying let's do that is like saying "why doesn't Mike Trout just hit a home run every at bat?"

Claude give me the list of players drafted after the Angels drafted that are in the majors contributing since Dipoto took the reigns. Was Sonny Gray drafted during Dipoto's watch or the year before, because he was drafted one pick after Cron?