• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pete Rose can kiss reinstatement goodbye

You can't influence the outcome of the game putting $20 on the Angels.

Obviously you're not familiar with me changing the channel at specific times during the game and only using the bathroom during prime number innings bringing the angels good luck. I totally influence the outcome except the times it didn't work.

Maybe outlaw betting then on whatever isn't simply about winning the game (outlaw overs/unders betting, etc.).

But admittedly, that complicates any investigation.

And I can understand some the worry of the betting manager having inside info on the opposition that he should be reporting anyway. 

And it is true that riding a pitcher longer because you bet to win is dangerous.

However, should it be legislated by anyone including MLB?   

The simple result is that the club gains serious doubt that the manager is their best choice. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

I'm just surprised that Manfred is even considering it.  He denied betting on the majors as a manager for years.  Even with the signed confession that MLB used to ban him for life.  And yet he kept fighting it and fighting it.  Then admitted he bet as a manager.  

He's a piece of trash.  If anything, they should ban him from participating in the All Star Game.  

Taking a look at some of his career numbers:

Batting Average, .303, good for 173rd place all-time

OBP, .375 (212th place)

OPS, .784, good for 565th place, just above guys like J.T. Snow and Chuck Knoblauch

OPS+, 118, tied with Gary Matthews for 413th place all-time.

Sure, he's the all-time leader in hits, and 2nd in doubles, but he also played far more games than anyone else, with many more AB's and plate appearances. He's also the all-time leader in outs made, by a wide margin.

edited to correct OBP.

Edited by fan_since79

.303 average and a .312 obp? How is that possible

First thing I thought of was lots of sac flies (counts against OBP but not average) but it's not that. Rose only has 94 SF compared over 4000 hits, roughly the same as Pujols in about 2500 hits. 

Edited by ScottLux

They also don't mind securing cash and or sponsorship in one day Sports Leagues from Fanduel.com. (MLB looked down on Fantasy Baseball for years as it being a form of gambling)....And they weren't getting any of the $$$$$$.....But now it's ok?   ;)

Well, didn't AROD and BRAUN lie a little bit..... And then continue to deny it.....about Steroids/HGH?

A-Rod and Braun served a suspension that was a joint agreement by the players union and the commissioner of baseball.

Rose is serving a lifetime suspension that is entirely the discretion of the commissioner of baseball.

The two are not related.

Edited by notti

Agreed. If anything it's even more admirable to bet on your team as a player. It was against the rules so he's pretty much screwed, but I see it purely as a plus as a person to bet on the games. It's like doing cocaine: nothing wrong with it, just unfortunately against the rules.

Has nobody in the world ever put a round of drinks on a game of pool?

Anyone ever try playing poker without money? Not very fun...

I am always astonished how people can drunk post at 6:12 PM.

Taking a look at some of his career numbers:

Batting Average, .303, good for 173rd place all-time

OBP, .375 (212th place)

OPS, .784, good for 565th place, just above guys like J.T. Snow and Chuck Knoblauch

OPS+, 118, tied with Gary Matthews for 413th place all-time.

Sure, he's the all-time leader in hits, and 2nd in doubles, but he also played far more games than anyone else, with many more AB's and plate appearances. He's also the all-time leader in outs made, by a wide margin.

edited to correct OBP.

I'm not the biggest Rose fan but I have seen him play. Besides being the hits leader, he scored over 2100 runs, had over 700 doubles, and had 200+ hits in a season 10 times. You knew he was there to play and beat the other team's ass doing it... and he's got some rings to prove it.

Cherry picking stats for a non-HR, non-BB guy is like saying Rod Carew shouldn't be in the Hall cause his SLG was under .500.

Edit: additional info now that I have it... Won ROY and one time MVP, top 10 in MVP voting 9 other times. Won 3 batting titles, 2 gold gloves. 15 time all-star.

Should he be in the hall? Not my call, but he sure has the resume.

Edited by Dick B Back

Agreed. If anything it's even more admirable to bet on your team as a player. It was against the rules so he's pretty much screwed, but I see it purely as a plus as a person to bet on the games. It's like doing cocaine: nothing wrong with it, just unfortunately against the rules.

Has nobody in the world ever put a round of drinks on a game of pool?

Anyone ever try playing poker without money? Not very fun...

But he wasn't betting a round of drinks with friends. He was betting thousands on thousands with bookies on a single game.

I'll admit I didn't think about the negative possibilites of betting as a manager, but betting as a player is still not that bad. The counterpoints made against it in this thread have been pretty reachy.

i'm at a loss. "pretty reachy"? how can you not understand just the simple fact of getting in debt to the mob compromises the game, and that's not even addressing any of the other compromises it creates. players and managers betting on games for any outcome literally threaten the continued existence of the league. i just don't get how this isn't universally accepted.

If you think that betting for your team to win is something done in a vacuum then you totally miss the point. It's not like he had an online account at that time. He was putting himself in a position to become beholden to whatever bookies were taking his bets. To influence betting lines by not making bets on certain days. Lastly, he and every players since the Black Sox have signed a statement saying that they understand that betting on baseball results in a lifetime ban from the sport. Sometimes people actually mean what they say and actions have actual consequences.