• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Weaver Placed On DL

Weaver even agreed to a much smaller contract to stay with the Angels. He's a true competitor, a leader on the team, and one who never smiles if the team is losing. He's been a dominant and integral aspect of the team since he first took the mound in 2006.

Watching him struggle has been sad and I hope he turns things around.

Yep, my sentiments exactly. You'll never see him laughing and joking around if the team is losing, like some other players on this team.

He is a leader in the true sense of the word.

And I can't imagine Kendrick has been as clutch as Giavotella, so I almost wonder if the team has been better with Giavotealla than it would have been with Howie.

it's hard to know what Howie would be with the halos this year, but Gia has been more productive because he's done so well in high leverage.  

At worst, it's a wash.  

Howie probably lengthens the lineup a bit more (whatever that means), but you'd still be dealing with black holes from LF and DH as well as the poor start from Iannetta.  

Frankly, you could argue that the halos are actually in a better position without howie because they have matched 2b production and now have a trade chip to acquire a bat.  

Sorry, but you are wrong dude. At least if you go by stats like OPS+, WAR, oWAR and dWAR, they have been almost identical players.

I never mentioned Johnny Giavotella in my post, nor did I allude to him at all.

Johnny G is good and I like him a lot , but his defense is mediocre, and his numbers are not better than Kendrick's. Howie's numbers are much better than Johnny—you cherry picked a couple stats, some without much significance (dWAR lol).

Besides, Howie has been a consistently good hitter and was invaluable to the team—his defensive acuity was really important for the team. Our defense is pretty awful now.

Johnny Giavotella surprised us with his talent, but is that sustainable?

Don't even start comparing WAR between Gia and Howie. The difference is like .02, and Howie was a 5.4 WAR player for the Angels last season, I'd be very surprised if Giavotella managed that.

Edited by failos

There are 15 pitchers with over 70 IP, he has the worst ERA and WHIP. A third of those guys have ERA in the 2's. It's amazing what 10 seconds of research can do.

One of those 15 pitchers is 37 year old Barry Zito. Another one of those pitchers is 38 year old Jason Lane. Another one of those pitchers is 32 year old Justin Germano. He's the 4th youngest pitcher on that list.

He also has the 3rd best K/9 on that list.

Also, why a 70 IP cutoff? Why not 65? In that case, there are 7 pitchers with a worse ERA than him. 14 pitchers with an ERA above 4. Out of 26, that's pretty bad.

James Paxton in the PCL: 4.44 ERA, 1.51 WHIP

Matt Cain in the PCL: 4.39 ERA, 1.31 WHIP

Dallas Keuchel in the PCL: 4.69 ERA, 1.33 WHIP

Garrett Richards in the PCL: 4.50 ERA, 1.62 WHIP

Small sample aside, most of those guys have a 4+ ERA right now...in the Majors

Keuchel and Richards had 4+ ERAs just a couple seasons ago.

Are you trying to say that since those pitchers eventually became good then Heaney will, also? That would be ridiculously silly to think.

I guess I don't understand the point you're trying to make

Small sample aside, most of those guys have a 4+ ERA right now...in the Majors

Keuchel and Richards had 4+ ERAs just a couple seasons ago.

Are you trying to say that since those pitchers eventually became good then Heaney will, also? That would be ridiculously silly to think.

I guess I don't understand the point you're trying to make

None of those guys have 4+ ERA's....wtf are you talking about?

The point is that a guy who struggles in the PCL does not mean he will struggle in the MLB. It's an incredibly difficult league to pitch in. Any scout will attest to that.

Saying "Heaney has sucked in the PCL this year, therefore he probably won't be that good in the majors" is the only "ridiculously silly" thing to think here.

None of those guys have 4+ ERA's....wtf are you talking about?

The point is that a guy who struggles in the PCL does not mean he will struggle in the MLB. It's an incredibly difficult league to pitch in. Any scout will attest to that.

Saying "Heaney has sucked in the PCL this year, therefore he probably won't be that good in the majors" is the only "ridiculously silly" thing to think here.

My mistake....I misread James Paxton's ERA due to Baseball Reference's horribly designed site (& Cain had a 4+ ERA the last couple years).

I get your point, but Heaney struggled during Spring Training–I don't think  he'll be ML ready for another 2 years.

Edited by failos

My mistake....I misread James Paxton's ERA due to Baseball Reference's horribly designed site (& Cain had a 4+ ERA the last couple years).

I get your point, but Heaney struggled during Spring Training–I don't think  he'll be ML ready for another 2 years.

You could be right about that for sure. We just never know with prospects.

I think he'll be in the rotation full time next year regardless.

Of course it is. But you can't be like "Hmm, well this guy has a 4.50 ERA in AAA, so that will roughly translate to a 5.25 ERA in the majors". Shoemaker was a freaking disaster in the PCL. Then he was the team's second best pitcher in his rookie year.

Of course it is. But you can't be like "Hmm, well this guy has a 4.50 ERA in AAA, so that will roughly translate to a 5.25 ERA in the majors". Shoemaker was a freaking disaster in the PCL. Then he was the team's second best pitcher in his rookie year.

which proves nothing because it seems to have been nothing more than a fluke.

I think people are a little discouraged because Heaney was supposed to be MLB ready opening day. Instead, he stunk it up in spring training and has stunk it up in Salt Lake.

Edited by Poozy

I think people are a little discouraged because Heaney was supposed to be MLB ready opening day. Instead, he stunk it up in spring training and has stunk it up in Salt Lake.

Do you have some press report saying Heaney would be on the opening roster?

Do you have some press report saying Heaney would be on the opening roster?

“Andrew is a premium prospect who is just starting to cut his teeth in the major leagues,” General Manager Jerry Dipoto said of Heaney, who will compete for a rotation spot next spring. “He's a really polished left-hander who we feel has a chance to pitch up in our rotation.”

-Jerry Dipoto

Edited by Poozy

“Andrew is a premium prospect who is just starting to cut his teeth in the major leagues,” General Manager Jerry Dipoto said of Heaney, who will compete for a rotation spot next spring. “He's a really polished left-hander who we feel has a chance to pitch up in our rotation.”

-Jerry Dipoto

That quote proves you wrong, dude. Dipoto said Heaney would compete for a spot and that there was a chance he'd make the team. He's young and obviously needs time to develop. 

Edited by failos

That quote proves you wrong, dude. Dipoto said Heaney would compete for a spot and that there was a chance he'd make the team. He's young and obviously needs time to develop. 

I find it hard to believe he didn't expect Heaney to be MLB ready.

Edited by Poozy

which proves nothing because it seems to have been nothing more than a fluke.

It proves that you can suck in the minors and have success in the majors.

It could have been a fluke, sure. Or it could be that he's struggling his second time through the league like a lot of pitchers do.

As for Heaney, he had a 3.02 ERA on May 23rd. Since then he's had 3 really bad starts that have inflated his numbers. His first of those starts on May 28, was a game where the final score was 14-11 and both teams combined for 36 hits. His next bad start was on June 8 when he allowed 7 ER but got the win. The final score of that game was 10-7 and it was only a 7 inning game. His final bad start was his most recent on the 18th, in which he allowed 5 ER. The final score of that game was 11-10 and both teams combined for 32 hits. Are you guys seeing a pattern here? Heaney isn't going out there and getting blasted 10-1 or 8-0. He's getting blasted along with every other pitcher. Heaney also has a nice .372 BABIP this year.

He's pitching in a hellhole, and he's been ridiculously unlucky. Give the kid a break.