• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Few things about the altercation between Giavotella and Calhoun

Question is, with these new details emerging, will Quinlanforthewin apologize for not being able to shut his dumb yap about this in the GD Thread?

Really took some air out of what was a great game with his stupid posts.

Crap like this happens. They're teammates. They're men. They say what they have to, apologize, get over whatever the issue was, then move on.

Seems like some people are trying to make this a bigger thing than it is. Among my close friends, I think I've had similar interactions with almost every one of them at some point over the years. It's just a thing that happens with guys, and it's almost always not an issue within an hour.

Kole overreacted for sure, but this is just another example of Giavotella being clueless.  

Don't get me wrong, he's not a bad baseball player, but now I can see why he got limited opportunity with KC.  

Anyone ever been hit on the head while wearing a helmet?  

Getting your bell rung 10 seconds before you are to bat with the bases loaded isn't something I'd like to have happen.  

I think his new nickname gets to be Johnny Jagaloon.  

Can't say I'm a big Calhoun fan this season. He hasn't been playing his best lately, so I'd imagine he's tense.

I'll go out on a limb and say that he flat out sucks this season–maybe that has to do with Scioscia haphazardly shuffling him in the lineup (probably does). On paper, he isn't too bad–especially when compared to the other duds in the lineup–but watching him play is not fun these days.

Kole overreacted for sure, but this is just another example of Giavotella being clueless.  

Don't get me wrong, he's not a bad baseball player, but now I can see why he got limited opportunity with KC.  

Getting your bell rung 10 seconds before you are to bat with the bases loaded isn't something I'd like to have happen.  

I think his new nickname gets to be Johnny Jagaloon.  

I doubt anyone is blaming him for being upset if that's what it was all about, but keep it in the locker room, Kole.  Don't make a scene for the whole world to see.

It's almost like Kole was trying to make the highlight reel for an 'that was awkward' moment on MLB Network's Intentional Talk.

I doubt anyone is blaming him for being upset if that's what it was all about, but keep it in the locker room, Kole.  Don't make a scene for the whole world to see.

It's almost like Kole was trying to make the highlight reel for an 'that was awkward' moment on MLB Network's Intentional Talk.

agree.  hence my comment that he overreacted.  

it just lends to the fact that some of Johnny G's teammates are getting a little fed up with his lack of awareness.  

Calhoun's obviously in a slump right now; he was playing really well at the beginning of the season and now he's not. I have to think the shuffling in the lineup has something to do with it. He seemed visibly upset during his ABs tonight.

As to the "altercation;" mountain out of a molehill. Getting smacked on the helmet like that before he was about to bat couldn't have been fun, and very well might have thrown him off. It's fair that he would have told Giavotella not to do it again.

^Not sure I've seen Erick do that to someone getting ready to bat before.

Exactly. It's not the smartest thing to do. Not to mention it was on the back of the helmet.

It's one thing if you just hit a homer and get to walk back to the dugout, but I have to side with Kole on this one.

Sure, an overreaction. He got some steam off after a K, and told the kid "Don't ever f****** do that again" and they moved on.

I remember Trumbo hit a homer...and in the dugout - as usual - FUBAR (as he tends to do) slapped Trumbo on the back with both hands. Trumbo turned around and yelled at him....with FUBAR just grinning that grin.

Funny how players react to things...maybe the head slap was too hard for Kole? 

x11829444.jpgcrying.jpg

Edited by JoJo26

Can't say I'm a big Calhoun fan this season. He hasn't been playing his best lately, so I'd imagine he's tense.

I'll go out on a limb and say that he flat out sucks this season–maybe that has to do with Scioscia haphazardly shuffling him in the lineup (probably does). On paper, he isn't too bad–especially when compared to the other duds in the lineup–but watching him play is not fun these days.

Way to find a way to bring Sosh into it.  

Seriously, do you ever get tired of that?  Do you ever have that moment where you think to yourself "maybe I should just let this one go?"  I know that if you do you completely ignore that thought, but do you ever have it?

I find Calhoun and Giavotella to have remarkably similar approaches to the game. Both came out of college unhyped, undersized, but hungry, playing the game all-out, all the time. It led to a surprising number of walks, stolen bases, doubles, triples, and home runs for guys of small stature.

When you're all of 5'8 and 170+ pounds, you don't make it to the majors by accident.

But with all of that comes a fiery passion and a drive to win at all costs. When that happens, you're going to have some altercation.

The thing about guys like Johnny and Kole, they don't swell on being wronged because they can't. Someone that's been told no they can't heir whole life tends to develop the ability to shake off whatever goes on or is said about them.

So much like Taylor Swift, they shook it off and were fine a few minutes later.

If I am a major league hitter and I have had success at each level of the minors and then I have had success in the majors, I am guessing I would have a bunch of confidence. The amount of confidence that isn't shattered because I am now batting fourth in the line up instead of first in the line up. The kind of confidence that tells me that the way I approach an at bat works for me, so I am not going to change it now that I am batting fourth or second. If you would like to place the blame (which a lot of you like to do, hell I even mentioned blame pie recently) on someone for Kole's struggles blame it on Kole. As QM has said all year, it just looks like Kole has changed his approach at the plate. If you take a lot of pitches and get on base a lot as the lead off hitter, you can do damn near everything the same as a clean up hitter. Granted you might have a guy on third and one out and change your approach by just trying to get a fly ball deep enough to score the run. As far as hitting second and leadoff, there should be almost no difference, especially when you bat in front of Trout.

I find Calhoun and Giavotella to have remarkably similar approaches to the game. Both came out of college unhyped, undersized, but hungry, playing the game all-out, all the time. It led to a surprising number of walks, stolen bases, doubles, triples, and home runs for guys of small stature.

When you're all of 5'8 and 170+ pounds, you don't make it to the majors by accident.

But with all of that comes a fiery passion and a drive to win at all costs. When that happens, you're going to have some altercation.

The thing about guys like Johnny and Kole, they don't swell on being wronged because they can't. Someone that's been told no they can't heir whole life tends to develop the ability to shake off whatever goes on or is said about them.

So much like Taylor Swift, they shook it off and were fine a few minutes later.

Someone's a "Swifty". Anyways, I agree with you. There are guys that are more naturally gifted than others, where the game looks like it comes easy to them. Don't get me wrong those players still work their asses off to get this far, but they were born with a different skill set or gift. Then their are the guys that have to grind at a higher level in order to compete at the highest level. Those are the guys we all love, the Calhouns, Giavotella, Eckstein guys like that. Hell even Pete Rose isn't incredibly gifted athletically.

Grown men who let things percolate without resolution die of heart failure at age 52. Vent it, clear it, get on with your life.

Ruth didn't speak to Gehrig for years over something Gehrig's mother said about his daughter. Now that was a real altercation. Last night's action was trivial.

Edited by fan_since79