• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Failed hit and run last night

xboom28x

Normally, I defend Scioscia. Today, I am here to criticize him. Why in the name of everything that is holy did MS decide to hit and run with Lucho and PBK with nobody out and Trout, Pujols and Hamilton due up? WTF was he thinking? PBK is one of the worst contact hitters we have on the team. Yet, Sosh expects him to make contact on a hit and run play. What an f***ing idiot!! I am not a manager, only played one intersquad baseball game as a freshman in high school, yet, I know that is one of the worst calls to put into action at that time.

Promptly, Trout lines a hard single in his at bat with two outs, which gets wasted.

I know Pujols didn't do anything in his at bat that inning and Hamilton sucked all around yesterday, but things may have been different if PBK figured out a way to get on, or at least could have had Trout on 1st and Lucho on 3rd with one out. Something may have happened in that inning. But MS decided he wanted to mettle into the lineup's business and control things on his end.

Stupid idiot. I'm done ranting. They better improve tonight. It sucked sitting in 30 degree weather watching them blow chances and give up taters.

Why in the name of everything that is holy did MS decide to hit and run with Lucho and PBK with nobody out and Trout, Pujols and Hamilton due up? WTF was he thinking?

To keep them out of a double play? To have a runner in scoring position for the meat of the order?

Personally, I don't have a problem with the call. If it works, neither does anyone else.

To keep them out of a double play? To have a runner in scoring position for the meat of the order?

Personally, I don't have a problem with the call. If it works, neither does anyone else.

Bourjos isn't a contact hitter. Bourjos doesn't ground into many double plays unless he hits it right at the bag at 2 making it a quick turn. There are other hitters you hit and run with. Bourjos isn't one of them.

He hit a home run already.... He should have been able to the bat on the ball. I could understand your argument if he didn't already have success earlier in the game.

Again, not everyone is suitable to a hit and run situation. Just because Bourjos put the bat on the ball once in the game doesn't mean he is capable of putting the bat on the ball when the runner is going and the pitch isn't in the zone.

I know a lot of times managers have struggling hitters do hit and runs that way they focus on just making contact. 

I have seen that too. But those are still with guys that are contact hitters that are struggling to get hits. Bourjos still didn't fit into that category as he has not really struggled to start the season, thankfully. If Bourjos was batting 7th or so, I would have understood the reason to get something going to maybe get to the meat of the order in that same inning. Heck, I would have even understood a sacrifice in that situation. But not a hit and run with Bourjos. Just didn't make sense.

After Howie got thrown out Sat night at second, the next guy, Jiminez I think, was rounding second and heading to third.  On a ball that never left the infield.  With two outs.  With Pujols coming up.

Every year, the Angels get spectacularly worse with baserunning.

Bourjos has GDP twice this season. Only Pujols (3) has done so more. Iannetta, and Trumbo also have 2. PB has GIDP 5.3% of his plate appearances this season, the highest rate on the team. 

I agree that his speed should keep him out of DP's, but is there a difference between not grounding into DP's often and being one of the most likely to GIDP on this team?

Bourjos has GDP twice this season. Only Pujols (3) has done so more. Iannetta, and Trumbo also have 2. It should also be noted that Only Erick Aybar has fewer plate appearances than Petey of the original starting 9.

I agree that his speed should keep him out of DP's, but is there a difference between not grounding into DP's often and being one of the most likely to GIDP on this team?

You're using a very small sample size and saying he's likely to GIDP's because he already has two GIDP's. Bourjos is one of the least likely to GIDP. In 2011, when he had 552 PA, he only had 7 GIDP's. 

Bourjos has GDP twice this season. Only Pujols (3) has done so more. Iannetta, and Trumbo also have 2. It should also be noted that Only Erick Aybar has fewer plate appearances than Petey of the original starting 9.

I agree that his speed should keep him out of DP's, but is there a difference between not grounding into DP's often and being one of the most likely to GIDP on this team?

He's far more likely to swing and miss than hit a ground ball. Again, he's not a contact hitter. Kendrick and Callaspo and Aybar are better contact hitters. If the object there was to avoid the double play, a sac bunt would have had a better chance of advancing the runner than a hit and run

After Howie got thrown out Sat night at second, the next guy, Jiminez I think, was rounding second and heading to third.  On a ball that never left the infield.  With two outs.  With Pujols coming up.

Every year, the Angels get spectacularly worse with baserunning.

Howie did not get thrown out at 2B on Saturday.

You're using a very small sample size and saying he's likely to GIDP's because he already has two GIDP's. Bourjos is one of the least likely to GIDP. In 2011, when he had 552 PA, he only had 7 GIDP's. 

I won't argue that 2013 is a VERY small sample size, just playing a little devils advocate and trying to show that he has already hit into as many DP's as he did in all of last year.

MLB.com had the play by play wrong.

Chris Iannetta flies into a sacrifice double play, center fielder Justin Maxwell to shortstop Marwin Gonzalez to second baseman Jose Altuve. Mark Trumbo scores. Howie Kendrick out at 3rd.
  • Pitcher R. Cruz
  • Batter C. Iannetta
  Speed Pitch Result 1 83 Slider In play, run(s)

He was not followed by anyone making a baserunning error however.

MLB.com had the play by play wrong.

Chris Iannetta flies into a sacrifice double play, center fielder Justin Maxwell to shortstop Marwin Gonzalez to second baseman Jose Altuve. Mark Trumbo scores. Howie Kendrick out at 3rd.
  • Pitcher R. Cruz
  • Batter C. Iannetta
  Speed Pitch Result 1 83 Slider In play, run(s)

He was not followed by anyone making a baserunning error however.

I never said he made a "baserunning error".  *YOU* did.  Not me.

I said he was rounding second on a full head of steam, heading toward third, on a ball that never left the infield.  With two outs.  With Pujols at bat.  He applied the brakes and was lucky to not get thrown out.  It was freaking stupid to be charging around second.  Brain dead baserunning.  Since the guy is new to the team, he fits in beautifully.

I believe MLB did have the play listed incorrectly on gameday. I also watched the game and the play by play from ESPN seems to reflect what I saw.

Rhiner Cruz pitching for Houston HOU LAA R Cruz relieved H Ambriz. 4 1 B Barnes in left field. 4 1 A Pujols singled to center. 4 1 J Hamilton struck out swinging. 4 1 M Trumbo doubled to left, A Pujols to third. 4 1 H Kendrick hit sacrifice fly to right, A Pujols scored, M Trumbo to third, H Kendrick to second on error by right fielder J Martinez. 4 2 C Iannetta hit sacrifice fly to center, M Trumbo scored, H Kendrick out at second.