• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Angels' VP of marketing and ticket sales Robert Alvarado resigns

I feel really badly for this man. He answered a questions honestly, had it taken out of context in some ways, by a reporter who wanted to make his own point (rather than what the subject of the interview said), and suffered the consequences. I feel badly for the fans who will never get an honest answer to any question again. People on here wonder why Scioscia and other stick with their canned answers. Well, there you go.

Personally, when I do interviews, I do not like to ask "ambush" questions, and I don't try to make the story about me or my agenda. My only agenda is to bring you, the fans, more insights into the organization. When reporters come in trying to "make" a story like this, I find it offensive. Why burn people who are taking the time to help you understand things and answering your questions?

If only the world were fair and the reporter would have consequences as well. I guess that's a subject for the G-d forum . . . 

Good luck in your new job hunt Robert. I feel for you and your family.

I don't feel bad for the guy at all.  He should have known better than to answer the questions the way he did.  If the Angels have decided to focus more on a higher clientele, which they can do if they want, he should have never let it be known.  It was a horrible PR move.

why is the dateline on this article PHOENIX?

I know Arte operates out of Phoenix but why is a Halos announcement about team operations being reported out of Phoenix?

just seems strange to me.

Don't know what to think about this -- thought the comment would cause some problems for the team and the guy when they were first reported........

sales folks are in the PR business -- perhaps this guy was 'just being honest' as is suggested in some prior posts but as a ticket sales guy for the Halos, who presumably understands PR, promotions and advertising -- he should have known better........

but badly worded

I don't really disagree, but his comments came off like he was at a party and someone asked him about his job an he was really eager to talk about it. Unfortunately you need to be careful with the press. You can't speak to them like you might talk to just about anyone else.

I don't really disagree, but his comments came off like he was at a party and someone asked him about his job an he was really eager to talk about it. Unfortunately you need to be careful with the press. You can't speak to them like you might talk to just about anyone else.

He was eager to defend the number of empty seats in the stadium.  He simply should've said revenues were still higher than last season rather than saying it how he said it.  That being said, lets get a guy in there who wants to fill the stadium.  

Or perhaps it had nothing to do with what he said, but a lack of what he did in his position.

Blaming VP of marketing for lower attendance with the product the team is putting out on the field is like blaming teachers for the low performance on tests that have no consequence for them. If the team were winning, it would be a different story.

Blaming VP of marketing for lower attendance with the product the team is putting out on the field is like blaming teachers for the low performance on tests that have no consequence for them. If the team were winning, it would be a different story.

Coming off a season where they had the best record in the MLB the Angels should've had many more tickets sold before the season started.  They didn't because of the direction Alvarado went with the Angels ticketing.  He was the VP of marketing AND ticket sales.

Edited by halobob

Coming off a season where they had the best record in the MLB the Angels should've had many more tickets sold before the season started. They didn't because of the direction Alvarado went with the Angels ticketing. He was the VP of marketing AND ticket sales.

im not arguing with you, but please explain. Are the tickets more expensive this season? (If they are i havent noticed)

To echo a point dave saltzer made, this is what i was getting at in terms of sosh in another thread. People complain that he gives PC answers to the media. Its smart. Yes he should kick asses in the clubhouse when needed, but theres ZERO reason to call anyone out to the media.

Look at how big of a deal the hamilton comments created....and what really was said that was out of line? "We thought relapsing would be a violation, because we had it written in the contract"...not exactly hate mongering

This organization is unbelievable. Alvarado didn't even say anything wrong.

Hopefully that shitty "journalist" doesn't pat himself on the back for this. 

Tim Mead is provably with the club in Phoenix.

why is the dateline on this article PHOENIX?

I know Arte operates out of Phoenix but why is a Halos announcement about team operations being reported out of Phoenix?

just seems strange to me.

Don't know what to think about this -- thought the comment would cause some problems for the team and the guy when they were first reported........

sales folks are in the PR business -- perhaps this guy was 'just being honest' as is suggested in some prior posts but as a ticket sales guy for the Halos, who presumably understands PR, promotions and advertising -- he should have known better........