• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Orange County Register: Angels Notes: Team trying to remain patient with Joyce

`

Navarro should be starting. As for the Joyce situation, barring an acquisition from outside the organization, there's a better chance of Joyce regaining what he's done the last couple years than anyone from the minors contributing. I just want a guy that can play good to great defense and has one other positive skill set to play left field. If that skill set is speed, great that doesn't slump. If it's power, perfect we need that. Is it good bat control, and can hit the ball the other way to get a runner from 2nd to 3rd, I'm good with that. If it's the ability to get on base like the usual version of Chris Iannetta or even Matt Joyce of years past, sweet. Right now we have no one that can do any of those things.

We simply don't know if we're contenders yet.

5.5 gb in june and no signs of improvement. I'm surprised it hasn't doubled to 10 gb.

Why raid our farm when we're most likely not going to the post season. This team has a lot of holes and one trade in june/July isn't gonna make this team a playoff team. We need to eat 2015. chalk it up already. I'm expecting a 75-82 win team. Tops. Keep our young guys and fix whatever we can in the off season. The sooner we all realize the easier it will be to watch the games. I'm not a believer in 2015. Hope they prove me wrong.

As for the Joyce situation, barring an acquisition from outside the organization, there's a better chance of Joyce regaining what he's done the last couple years than anyone from the minors contributing. 

^^^This^^^.....you have to forget his stats to this point, he's going to have an ugly year even if he heats up....but the reality is, we don't have an in house option that jumps out at you....I like Navarro but he's a singles hitting corner OF/1b...not a lot of there there...That said, if Joyce doesn't wake up soon, they'll make a move or go with in house options, no matter how weak...Reading Scioscia speak, I think that's what he's said recently....

One of the toughest things is to think about what a player really "is"?

I mentioned this on Twitter a while back. What if we had no season stats, only career stats.

Matt Joyce in his career (guessing, too lazy to look it up) is about a .245/.340 hitter over about 1000 games.

This year he's about .185/.265 over 50 games.

So what is he?

Common sense tells you that he didn't just morph into a different hitter over the winter. He's not old and he's not hurt. I don't think opponents are pitching him any differently or playing him any differently. (He has been shifted on for years.)

Same is true for Iannetta.

What the Angels have to weigh is how to mix in enough other guys to get some production while still giving those guys just enough ABs to get back to where common sense says they will eventually get.

That's probably why Joyce started again (I don't expect him to play every day, or be benched entirely.) Iannetta has already slipped to one of three games and I don't see his playing time going below that.

Navarro should be starting. As for the Joyce situation, barring an acquisition from outside the organization, there's a better chance of Joyce regaining what he's done the last couple years than anyone from the minors contributing. I just want a guy that can play good to great defense and has one other positive skill set to play left field. If that skill set is speed, great that doesn't slump. If it's power, perfect we need that. Is it good bat control, and can hit the ball the other way to get a runner from 2nd to 3rd, I'm good with that. If it's the ability to get on base like the usual version of Chris Iannetta or even Matt Joyce of years past, sweet. Right now we have no one that can do any of those things.

You mean someone like Peter Bourjos or Randal Grichuk?

Jeff, is this just one of those seasons where the perfect bad storm happened?

That once a couple of players slumped early on (Iannetta and Joyce), the others (sans Pujols and Trout) felt that much more pressure and it mushroomed?

Really Joyce and Iannetta are the only guys having abnormal seasons. Everyone else is within a normal range.

And the issue with those guys is they were never high average guys to begin with. They are OBP guys.

So their slumps are going to be uglier if you look at their BA. If you look at their OBP they are merely bad and not atrocious.

The league OBP is about .310 and those guys are both around .250-.270 I think.

The problem is Joyce was never really the answer to begin with.  The Angles need better offense potential than what Joyce has ever given.  Of course his having a really bad season just makes the Angels trading for him look worse than it originally was.

As Fletcher said, this team has to glaring holes offensively:  LF and DH

Their current options are not handling these situations at all.  Trades are their only options.

Edited by VariousCrap

Maybe more of a RISP issue then?

The issue is having a 6-man lineup. I forgot DH because there's no one guy to "blame" for the failure there. Mostly Cron.

And of the other 6 spots, no one is doing any more. They are doing as expected or worse than usual. No one is having a career year. (Maybe Giavotella)

It's just not enough good hitters. Period.

It's not a career year but I tend to believe this is the best we will get out of Pujols as an Angel.

The issue is having a 6-man lineup. I forgot DH because there's no one guy to "blame" for the failure there. Mostly Cron.

And of the other 6 spots, no one is doing any more. They are doing as expected or worse than usual. No one is having a career year. (Maybe Giavotella)

It's just not enough good hitters. Period.