• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The hand that Dipoto was dealt

In most contexts I'm a big supporter of "process" over "results" and feel that Western/American society is too focused on the end results. But baseball, as a sport, is largely about results - and while I liked a lot of the moves Dipoto made at the time he made them, the results (so far) haven't been all that good.

Another way to look at his tenure is that he inherited a formerly very successful franchise that was reeling due to a depleted farm system and some bad free agent signings, and needing new direction. He was effectively given a blank check by owner Arte Moreno, who was obviously willing to pay whatever it took to return the team to greatness. Dipoto made two "big splashes" by signing the best pitcher and hitter of the 2011-12 offseason. He retooled the team and the Angels headed into 2012 with a terrific pitching staff and a potentially excellent lineup. The team, however, ended up finishing 3rd and missing the playoffs for the third straight year, largely due to disappointing results from the two big free agents and the pitching staff as a whole.

After 2012 the pitching staff was in shambles and the offense needed a boost. Dipoto shored up the bullpen with generally under-the-radar moves, and patched together what looked like a league average starting rotation while, instead of going seriously hard after Greinke, for the second year in a row signed the best hitter on the market - although, like the former year, a player on the wrong side of 30.

So far, not good. While it is only two weeks into the season the team looks terrible. The offense, which was viewed as the strength of the team, hasn't gelled. The rotation is a mess and the bullpen is mediocre. Worst of all there are rumors of unrest in the clubhouse. Meanwhile most of the departed former-Angels are thriving in their new environments.

What's the problem? Is it Dipoto? Scioscia? The players? All of the above? I don't know. But, in the end, the results suck. This team is a joke and whatever Dipoto's moves were, they haven't led to good results. In other words, while we can ooh and ahh various moves Dipoto has made and be impressed with his overall strategy, the results aren't impressive. I think he's due the rest of the year, that we need to give the "Dipoto Plan" at least the rest of the year to take effect, but I for one am starting to get worried.

My biggest fear during the offseason is that Dipoto's gamble with the rotation would back-fire, that he should have kept one of Haren or Santana and gone after Greinke instead of Hamilton, or at least gone after a Sanchez or Peavy or Jackson. His strategy assumed that Weaver would be Weaver and Wilson would return to Wilson; it also assumed that Blanton and Vargas would be at least league average and the Braves were somehow wrong about Hanson. The scary thing is that it isn't that some of these things aren't turning out well, but NONE of them are. When you get results like that you have to start questioning the front office's judgment.

Again, let's see how things turn out. Maybe Blanton, Vargas, and Hanson are nervous and will settle down. Maybe Wilson will grow a pair and rediscover how to throw strikes. Maybe Weaver is strengthening his arm with a kettleball as we speak and will come back throwing 90+ again. And maybe Ryan Madson will come back healthy and lead the bullpen to a renaissance of the glory days of Shields and K-Rod. Let us hope, but I for one have my doubts.

This org's scouts are terrible.

This is a group effort. Reagins, scouts, Moreno, Scioscia, Butcher, the players, and somewhat Dipoto have all messed up this org big time. This all starts with Moreno though.

Where would we stand if 6 years ago Moreno had hired a REAL GM instead of essentially a Scioscia puppet?

What did Scioscia ever do to warrant adulation from Moreno?

Because without Maddon and Black, he has proven to be judged as ordinary?

Thanks a lot Moreno, you'll get no Arte adulation from me, and LIKE IT!

Again, Arte deserves massive blame for refusing to let GMs go above slot prior to the current CBA. This was a terrible, short-sighted decision to choose being Bud Selig's amigo versus the long-term interests of the franchise.

Arte unwillingness to get his hands dirty with a Latin market that is not always ethical also was a bad decision.

Seems to be Arte is incredibly stubborn and often makes reactionary moves. He needs to be more responsive --- NOT Steinbrenneresque reactionary.

I remember a few years ago everyone being pissed off when we swung and missed on big FAs. Now everyone's pissed that we got the biggest names available. Whatever.

DiPoto is doing his job, and not every move is going to be gold. No one is perfect in their job, no one. And how is he suppose to know that CJ is going to Shat his pants every time he takes the mound? How was he suppose to know that AlBert would tank in April, or that Josh would strikeout 50times in the first 2games?

Yes, Blanton blows. But when they signed him he was supposed to be an innings eater. And this offense was suppose to overcome his era. Both haven't happened yet, and may not.

I'm goings to wait before I start laying blame, completely, on JD. Of course, he needs to fire Butch soon. And I mean real soon. Thats a glaring problem that even the most uneducated baseball fan can see. Pitchers suck in Anaheim, yet succeed in somewhere else. Can you spell Crooked Hat??????? Butch has got to go. But I have faith that JD will see that, if he doesn't already.

friends with great hindsight tell me  "Dipoto should have spent all that money on pitching" well, there wasn't any out there. grienke was way overpriced and dp did what he could through trades and decent bullpen signings.

the problem with this team is not dp. there's lots of blame to go around but i think field management/coaching has alot of the responsibility for this mess.

this season aint lookin pretty

DP had nothing to do with that stupid contract that was given to scioscia. now what we have  is a philosophical/strategy war going on between the manager and gm.  probably a king sized personality conflict as well, but thats just a guess. sometimes i swear i think scioscia purposely tanks in game decisions just to prove dp's moves are wrong.

yes, i am a paranoid. but the fact remains that there is tension between ms and dp and they dont appear to work and play well together. cleaning up this relationship would do nothing but help the team. 

Actually, before this year, the pitching that was in bad sorts actually performed quite well. Sub 700 runs allowed in each year of the past three, but I agree Haren, Wilson, Santana all had question marks. Greinke too expensive. Relievers in question.

I like Vargas, Hanson moves, but don't get Blanton at all. Hoped he could put up 200 innings at a mid 4 ERA and the offense would carry the team. Certain guys are hitting well right now, others are not. 

Iannetta isn't hitting since his first few games. Hamilton struggles for the first weeks. Pujols has been hitting well. Bourjos up and down. Trumbo has been okay. Aybar hitting well. Kendrick hitting well. Callaspo has been ok. Trout hasn't been great. Jimenez, Conger have been doing well in limited time. Shuck, Harris, Romine, not much expected or delivered in limited action.

Yet the pitchers have not been good. Replacing 3/5 of the rotation is a daunting task, but Hopefully Richards bumps Blanton to the long relief role, or to the DL...

Pujols looks like he can only play 1B for 50 or less games this year. Where was morales suppose to hit?

He really can't play the field due to his ankle. The mariners apparently agree as he's only played 1 game at first.

Morales was the only logical piece to move. People wildly inflate his trade value this last season.

Dipoto was dealt a bad hand. Every move he has made, whether it was possibly at Arte's insistence (Pujols/Hamilton) or not has been designed to improve this team, on paper. The problem is, paper doesn't account for subpar performances or nagging injuries.

Even the Blanton move makes sense when you consider that over his career, he's had a mid-4s ERA and pitched 175-200 innings per year. That's all we needed from him.

Blanton essentially replaces Santana at about 60% of the salary, and was expected to perform at a similar level. So far, that has not happened. Santana will not continue to have a mid-2s ERA in KC, and Blanton should not continue to give up an ER every inning, either.

Dipoto made the moves that the budget allowed him to make (after spending almost $400 million on Pujols and Hamilton, that is). Have they worked out? For the most part, no.

If the players that were brought in (and some that were already here) were performing to just their career averages, this wouldn't even be a discussion. But they are not, and here we are, 4-9.

The better question to ask is: Why are players who were brought in to just perform to their normal capabilities not doing so?