• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Draft Signings

oater

Alden Gonzalez ‏@Alden_Gonzalez

#Angels have signed their 12th-round pick, HS catcher Dalton Blumenfeld, for $250,000. Slot was $100,000.

So when you sign a guy like this for so much over slot, would it be safe to say they were a little surprised they were able to get a deal done? I'm assuming he was college committed? Would he have been drafted earlier? Was he thought to be a tough sign?

So when you sign a guy like this for so much over slot, would it be safe to say they were a little surprised they were able to get a deal done? I'm assuming he was college committed? Would he have been drafted earlier? Was he thought to be a tough sign?

I'm so happy they signed him! What a great kid! Fantastic work ethic, strong throwing arm, big power bat! I've watched him play all his life. Unless there is a serious injury he will make it to the show! Great Pick!!

The way the draft is said up, the guys drafted in rounds 5-10 are commonly college seniors that'll sign for under slot.  The reason being is simply that each team is allotted a budget for their first 10 rounds of the draft, if they go over, they lose their first round pick the following year.  Guys drafted in the first second and third rounds typically will sign for above slot because they're negotiating from an advantageous point.  

So being a college senior drafted in the 10th round, this guy may only get 50k to sign.  But if you're a high schooler in the 12th round, the team that drafted you is no longer strapped to a specific salary cap, and will be more willing to pay money because there's a reasonable chance that in 2-3 years after finding success in college, that same player might jump into the 1st or 2nd round.

This sounds pretty much exactly what the Angels were anticipating with Blumenfeld and from what I've read so far on him, that seems like a pretty fair assessment of the situation. 

The smartest move in a situation like this is to typically find a middle ground.  His slot may have been 100k, but his upside assuming he isn't injured is likely a 500k signing bonus.  But that's him risking 400k on his future, which is a lot of money to risk.  So finding a middle point at 250k is pretty fair.  He's getting a good chuck of change to take care of himself in the event that baseball doesn't work out, and the Angels are getting a deal because they've acquired a potentially good player for a half or even a quarter of the price. 

Players chosen after the first ten rounds may not receive a bonus for more than $ 100,000. Any bonus above that amount is deducted from the club’s total bonus pool. For example, if a club signs a player selected in the 15th round to a bonus of $ 150,000, the overage of $ 50,000 is deducted from their bonus pool.

Thanks Scotty, I wasn't aware that after the 10th round there is no salary cap. I would assume the Angels knew Ward would sign below slot when they drafted him?

Yes, that seems the likeliest of scenarios.  Ward profiled better as a late second or early third round pick.  There's a chance the Angels could've landed him in the second, but clearly they liked him enough to make sure they had him with their first pick. Jones on the other hand, was projected everywhere.  Some thought he'd sneak into the first round, other pegged him at least in the 4th or 5th.  Consensus was he would be a second rounder with first round upside. 

I think the Angels drafted Ward knowing they'd spend high on their second pick, but weren't entirely sure who that pick would be.  When their pick came up and Jones was at the top of the list of the remaining prospects left on the board they took him.  Most folks think it was a good pick and I tend to agree with them. 

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

Yes, that seems the likeliest of scenarios.  Ward profiled better as a late second or early third round pick.  There's a chance the Angels could've landed him in the second, but clearly they liked him enough to make sure they had him with their first pick. Jones on the other hand, was projected everywhere.  Some thought he'd sneak into the first round, other pegged him at least in the 4th or 5th.  Consensus was he would be a second rounder with first round upside. 

I think the Angels drafted Ward knowing they'd spend high on their second pick, but weren't entirely sure who that pick would be.  When their pick came up and Jones was at the top of the list of the remaining prospects left on the board they took him.  Most folks think it was a good pick and I tend to agree with them. 

yep.  that's how I see it.  If they take Jones in the first then he probably gets slot money as does Ward if taken in the second.  Ward getting below slot in the first and Jones above in the second probably saved them some cash.  They certainly didn't want to put themselves in a position to lose next years pick or no sign their 1st round pick.  

• 1 month later...

BTW, AO..  Since you mentioned left bats...  I have a buddy that works in the Cinci organization that is talking up Alex Abbott.  He scouted him when he was in HS, and he's telling me that he was looking a bit taller and just all around bigger in AZ this year.   The book on him going into the draft last year was that he had a really quick bat, the ability to stay back on a ball and some power upside.   From what I understand he was shut down with an injury last year and the overall stats were sort of meh... but I always like hearing about guys in our system that have fans outside of our system.

He may be a guy who's progress this year is worth tracking.

So....   .284/.383/.556 as a 20 year old at Orem..  10 walks, 18 Ks....   Pretty significant improvement .vs last year.

He's been promote and demoted from Burlingwhatever back to Orem but he seemengly turned a few heads.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I talked to Alex a couple years ago, everything said about him is true. Hard worker, focused, driven and has grown considerably both years since being drafted. He's sort of the anti-Clarke/Bolden prep OF.

Right now, it's still to early to say much. He can project anywhere from A.J. Pollock to Colin Cowgill to minor league depth fodder.

I talked to Alex a couple years ago, everything said about him is true. Hard worker, focused, driven and has grown considerably both years since being drafted. He's sort of the anti-Clarke/Bolden prep OF.

Right now, it's still to early to say much. He can project anywhere from A.J. Pollock to Colin Cowgill to minor league depth fodder.

So, he's still a lottery ticket basically.