• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Draft Signings

oater

Trying to figure out what it us about David Fletcher that caused the Angels to double what the suggested slot bonus us for him.

Supposedly he's a legit glove and he's younger than the guys they have been drafting - this is legitimately his age 20 season.  Already has a .300 season in the CCL -- posted more walks than Ks in both the CCL and at LMU this year.  I haven't looked to see how much they have to spend still, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them spend to get Ryan Vega as well.  Again, to add another guy with some youth and upside to the position player ranks.

What is the story on 8th round pick Kyle Survance (U.of Houston), the lone holdout amongst the Halos' top 13 rounds selections?

It's nice that he's a lefty bat with top of the order type speed and decent/solid plate patience.   We need more of those in the org. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

What is the story on 8th round pick Kyle Survance (U.of Houston), the lone holdout amongst the Halos' top 13 rounds selections?

It's nice that he's a lefty bat with top of the order type speed and decent/solid plate patience.   We need more of those in the org. 

Survance and Vega are likely the two guys they will have to work the hardest to get to sign.   I have actually seen Survance play, he was odd in that he was both quick to the ball and seemed to have a really long follow through.  He had the bat knocked out of his hands in the CCL last season, and tends to swing and miss a lot.... so, I'm guessing the Angels scouts have zeroed in on something in his game they like or they think they can bring out.

BTW, AO..  Since you mentioned left bats...  I have a buddy that works in the Cinci organization that is talking up Alex Abbott.  He scouted him when he was in HS, and he's telling me that he was looking a bit taller and just all around bigger in AZ this year.   The book on him going into the draft last year was that he had a really quick bat, the ability to stay back on a ball and some power upside.   From what I understand he was shut down with an injury last year and the overall stats were sort of meh... but I always like hearing about guys in our system that have fans outside of our system.

He may be a guy who's progress this year is worth tracking.

Edited by Inside Pitch

MLB.com has him as having signed for slot money in their draft tracker....   http://m.mlb.com/news/article/130246508/2015-draft-signing-and-bonus-tracker

I agree, this is strange.

Angel's transaction page:

06/16/15

Los Angeles Angels signed RHP Samuel Pastrone.  

Los Angeles Angels signed OF Jared Foster.  

Los Angeles Angels signed OF Kyle Survance Jr.  

Los Angeles Angels signed free agent LHP Jo-Jo Reyes to a minor league contract.

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/transactions.jsp?c_id=ana#month=6&year=2015&team_id=108

He was also on Orem's roster, but has since been removed.

Edited by John Smith

Unsigned or unverified.

5 Jared Foster R/R 6-1 200 11/02/92 OF SR College World Series

12 Dalton Blumenfeld  R/R 6-3 210 11/14/96 C HS

14 Ryan Vega R/R 6-2 180 09/17/96 OF J1

20 Kenny Towns R/R 5-11 185 12/19/92 RHP SR College World Series

28 Aaron Rhodes R/R 6-0 200 09/24/92 OF SR College World Series

38 Jonah Dipoto R/R 6-0 200 09/03/96 RHP HS

Edited by John Smith

Should I be excited? I don't know anything about Vega.

Honestly, we don't really know...  

But he's a kid from Puerto Rico, a graduate of the Carlos Beltran Baseball Academy..    Really good speed, (6.53 in the 60) and has the sort of body that projects some power...   In a draft that was once again mostly college guys, Vega and Blumenfeld stand out as young players with upsides.  (Juco freshman, DOB 9/17/96)

It's always hard to gauge the Juco circuit but he was all conference...  so, here's hoping he turns into something.

Honestly, we don't really know...

But he's a kid from Puerto Rico, a graduate of the Carlos Beltran Baseball Academy.. Really good speed, (6.53 in the 60) and has the sort of body that projects some power... In a draft that was once again mostly college guys, Vega and Blumenfeld stand out as young players with upsides. (Juco freshman, DOB 9/17/96)

It's always hard to gauge the Juco circuit but he was all conference... so, here's hoping he turns into something.

Interesting. Thanks, IP