• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official Fans of Cheating Programs Complain About Other Cheating Programs Thread - Oregon Edition

Not surprising, the good news is that: 

"First, NCAA enforcement staff said they had “no finding of lack of institutional control and no finding of unethical conduct.”

"The report says Lyles did not coerce any player to choose Oregon."

so what is the problem?  They paid him more than the going rate?

Not surprising, the good news is that: 

"First, NCAA enforcement staff said they had “no finding of lack of institutional control and no finding of unethical conduct.”

"The report says Lyles did not coerce any player to choose Oregon."

GOOD NEWS, EVERYBODY! WE'RE CHEATERS!

so what is the problem?  They paid him more than the going rate?

Yes and they received outdate information. Obviously, they paid him because he knew Texas recruits, but recruiting services were (and still are) a grey area. At this point, I'm not sure what major violation they have committed, since that information hasn't been released. From what I have heard they had too many recruiting visits and too much contact, but even that is speculation. Having the NCAA come out and say that there wasn't a lack of institutional control is big though, since that is what Penn State, Miami, USC, and Boise State have been previously charged with. However, Ohio State somehow wasn't found of this, despite Tressel's cover-up, and they still got a bowl ban.

IMO, Oregon knew what they were doing was wrong, but thought they would get away with it since there weren't any definite limitations to recruiting services (Alabama, for instance, has paid more than $50,000/year for recruiting services.). But when the NCAA comes looking for something involving a college football program, they will most likely find violations. Oregon should and will be punished, but as a Duck, I hope they don't get a bowl ban. We shall see.

There is way more to it.  He gave players Oregon gear and the university and Lyles both lied to investigators.

I have heard about the gear, BUT if that wasn't provided from the University than it isn't a violation. When did they University lie to investigators though, has that been confirmed by the NCAA? Honestly, I haven't been following this that closely for the past 6 months, since this whole thing started over two years ago. And I definitely should have said that in the post above. Apparently they committed as many as 7 major violations, so they obviously did a lot wrong.

...but yeah, I know that.

I honestly don't think Tosh is a clean guy and I wouldn't be shocked if he walked a very fine line (and stepped over it) while at Cal.

Cal provided materials re: Lyles to the NCAA at its request and they quickly told Cal that all was good.

I don't think dealing with a guy like Lyles is good at all. I still don't quite think all the North Carolina players heading to Cal is totally clean (google Otis Yelverton) but I dunno. It's possible that Cal was the only remotely high profile place that all those guys could play together.

Whatever the case, the program has moved on and is clearly taking a new direction. There's no other option. Any faltering when it comes to APR and we are dead.

• 2 months later...