• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Favorite Military Movies

Someone mentioned glory up above, but yeah, great movie. Denzell rightly got credit for his performance in it, but i think freeman was just as good.

In terms of the movie midway (and the actual battle), there was its own "lone survivor" moment. A guy named george gay was a torpedo bomber pilot, one of two squadrons (something like 16 planes per squadron, 2 men each) that got shot down attacking the japanese fleet. He lived, and floated in the water for 3 or 4 days and watched the whole thing go down. I think that would be a good story if hollywood ever wanted to remake midway.

Gardens of stone was a great flick. Its about rhe arlingron cemetary guards during vietnam, james earl jones and james caan

it's a very dark movie, not the kind you walk away from going "hey that was great!" it's well done, but it's very dark. i saw it once and that was more than enough for me.

"The horror.....the horror..."

One of my fave parts of that movie is when brando is going off on his "blog via radio" (towards the end before the finale), and hes talking about the hypocrisy of it all. "They can drop fire on children...but they cant write f*ck on their airplanes!"

I thought the Thin Red Line was garbage but I saw it in a sneak preview years ago. I should watch it again. 

I haven't seen it in years.  I am worried that if I watched it again I would think it was some hippie crap.

someone was talking about Das Boot a couple of pages ago. man, the tension in that one at times was palpable. the subtitles didn't bother me at all.

crimson tide was also mentioned earlier. i liked that one as well. 

no one has mentioned gone with the wind yet. it's not one of my favorites because scarlett is such a frustrating character. but clark gable was very good in it, as was olivia de havilland.

not so much a documentary but a docudrama, check out a movie called "conspiracy". Its about the wannsee conference where the nazis came up with the final solution. One the best movies ive ever seen by far, great, great acting.

I think its uploaded to youtube if you wanna watch it for free.

awesome, thanks!

i'll rent/buy it, i need captions and youtube captions are hilariously bad.

actually looks like its on amazon prime, ill watch tonight.

thanks again!

Good Morning Vietnam has aged very well, still funny as hell.

Wicked, if youre in to documentaries, the best bar none (not even close) is "world at war". Its very old and by todays standards shows its age, but there is no more thorough coverage of the war (several episodes on the nazis) out there.

Still waiting for someone to make a real budget movie about korea. Truly the forgotten war.

i have world at war, love it.

agreed, its amazing.

Edited by mrwicked

Let me know what you think of conspiracy wicked. Theres a few scenes in that flick that give me chills. Also, have you seen third reich, the rise and fall? Saw it on the history channel a while back, had a lot of footage id bever seen.

And good call whoever mentioned schindlers list up above. Cant believe i forgot to mention that one.

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

Full metal jacket used to die for me after they finished boot camp, but its grown on me over the years. The book was very good, makes more sense of the second half of the movie.

Theres been zero movies since with a believable DI.

Believe it or not, ermy was great in it (had the experience), but as intimidating as he was its actually almost tame...real boot camp has about 3-5 of him oer platoon

The best boot camp doc ever made by far:

The last episode of world at war starts with a village in france that the SS massacred after the d-day landings. The french have left it as is, its all ruins. Cant think of the name, but its on my list of things to see if i ever get back out there

One reason that series was so good was that it had so many participants inteviewed for it. Crazy seeing jimmy stewart interviwed in it. For anyone unfamiliar he was a hollywood a lister back then, big big movie star. He flew b-17s over europe, and later flew in korea i believe

Theres some crazy articles out there of stars who fought in ww2, some youd never guess