• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Favorite Military Movies

Sorry, feel like i hijacked the regular movie thread.

Im a movie buff, so aside from war movies ill watch anything, but have an interest in military flicks. Not a fan of "action over substance types", and i hate cgi.

Hard to narrow it down. Band of brothers and private ryan are probably the peak, the result of a good budget and good director (and casting).

Didnt get as much love but i thought thin red line was excellent. Anyone seen that one?

Good call blarg, one of my all time faves. Very cheesy by todays standards, but i grew up watching it so still like it today

Anything with eric esteada is pretty good.

Love studying that battle. One thing about those old ww2 flicks is that though they were cheesy on the acting side, they were usually very accurate in terms of event accuracy.

Longest Day is similar, another excellent old time movie

Sorry, feel like i hijacked the regular movie thread.

Im a movie buff, so aside from war movies ill watch anything, but have an interest in military flicks. Not a fan of "action over substance types", and i hate cgi.

Hard to narrow it down. Band of brothers and private ryan are probably the peak, the result of a good budget and good director (and casting).

Didnt get as much love but i thought thin red line was excellent. Anyone seen that one?

Thin Red Line is excellent.

i will watch / buy any and all nazi documentaries.

not so much a documentary but a docudrama, check out a movie called "conspiracy". Its about the wannsee conference where the nazis came up with the final solution. One the best movies ive ever seen by far, great, great acting.

I think its uploaded to youtube if you wanna watch it for free.

Uh.. Lone Survivor was another Marky Mark POS. It was a good story ruined by him acting in it. One guy can really drag an entire production to it's knees, Wahlberg is that guy.

he was great in the other guys

My only beef with lone survivor is that the movie, like many movies do, decided the real events werent cool enough so it added things far too far fetched.

Platoon is to me the best vietnam movie, really impressive when you realize how small a budget it had and how many careers it kicked off. But his next 2 in the trilogy, born on the 4th of july and heaven and earth are great movies everyone forgot about. Tom cruise is a weirdo, but he was great in born. Heaven and earth is another "different perspective" type film.

The Longest Day is sometimes tough to watch when you have guys like Eddie Albert Grabbing their chest and falling over like a kid playing the dying soldier. But the scope of the film and all of the backstory from all sides makes it a short history lesson about D Day.

Another long, drawn out blood fest is A Bridge Too Far with Anthony Hopkins. The story of the Allied forces ambitious push to end the war in one lightning strike through the Netherlands that was orchestrated by British General Montgomery, a charismatic but oft times incompetent leader of the Allied armed forces.

Part of that was covered in Band of Brothers where the 101st moved into Arnhem and faced superior German forces.

Agreed, thats the one part of those old films that suck today, the total overacted drama. Also very sterile in terms of no cuss words, the good guys are always 'good' etc

Ive been to a decent number of battlefields, arnhem being one of them. The britt airborne really got chewed up bad there. Overambitious plan. We got very lucky (i guess you could say) that the britt airborne got that assignment while ours landed further south

Among not mentioned.

Flags of our Father/Letters from Iwo Jima (interesting tactic by Eastwood to show both sides of the story)

Bridge on the River Kwai

Does Lawrence of Arabia count as a war movie?

And of course the bestest war movie of them all. Star Wars. :P

star wars definetely counts

Flags was pretty good, but i liked letrers a lot more. Empire of the sun was great too in terms no one has mentioned