• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Amphibious pitcher makes debut (actual headline)

The only parks with bodies of water I can think of off the top of my head are Kaufman Stadium (fountain) and Chase Field (pool). The A's rarely play in either of those parks.

I really don't know, but does the AP reporter come up with the headline or the Newspaper's Sports Editor?  

Headlines are written by the newspaper. AP only supplies the body of the article. The reasoning is that only the newspaper knows details that determine how many words can fit on a single line given the typeface and width of the page of column they are using for the article.

Is he allowed to throw from each arm in the same at-bat?

Wondering if it's anything like having to stay on one side of the plate once you start an at-bat.

The pitcher has to choose which way he will pitch before the start of the at bat. At that time if the batter is a switch hitter he is allowed to change handedness in response. After that no more changes can happen even before the at bat begins.

They had to create that rule because of a case where a switch hitter and pitcher kept changing handedness -- pitcher would change gloves, batter would switch to other batters box, pitcher changed gloves again ad infinitum.

Edited by ScottLux

The pitcher has to choose which way he will pitch before the start of the at bat. At that time if the batter is a switch hitter he is allowed to change handedness in response. After that no more changes can happen even before the at bat begins.

They had to create that rule because of a case where a switch hitter and pitcher kept changing handedness -- pitcher would change gloves, batter would switch to other batters box, pitcher changed gloves again ad infinitum.

Kind of lame that they give the hitter the advantage here. I can understand the no changing rule after the first pitch is thrown, but the pitcher should be able to stand on the rubber and deliver the pitch however he wants without having to declare a side...

Kind of lame that they give the hitter the advantage here. I can understand the no changing rule after the first pitch is thrown, but the pitcher should be able to stand on the rubber and deliver the pitch however he wants without having to declare a side...

Oh I agree completely. As rare and unique as switch throwing pitchers are, I feel that they should be given the advantage and be allowed to respond to the batter's decision. 

A lot of the recent baseball rule decisions have penalize the pitcher for some reason. A minor example is couple years back they got rid of fake throw to third (a solution in search of a problem). An egregious example is they're planning on adding asinine pitch clocks to speed up the game, yet have done literally nothing about batters delaying the game by calling time repeatedly and taking very long amount of time to get back.

If they are worried about time wasting they sped up the replay process so it only lasts the <30 seconds it takes the TV broadcasting crew to tell exactly what happened. 

Edited by ScottLux

Oh I agree completely. As rare and unique as switch throwing pitchers are, I feel that they should be given the advantage and be allowed to respond to the batter's decision.

A lot of the recent baseball rule decisions have penalize the pitcher for some reason. A minor example is couple years back they got rid of fake throw to third (a solution in search of a problem). An egregious example is they're planning on adding asinine pitch clocks to speed up the game, yet have done literally nothing about batters delaying the game by calling time repeatedly and taking very long amount of time to get back.

If they are worried about time wasting they sped up the replay process so it only lasts the ~30 seconds it takes the TV broadcasting crew to tell exactly what happened.

The average Angel game is about 10-15 minutes shorter this season versus last season, so speeding up the game is happening. Also the batters have also been affected, they have to keep one foot in the batters box between pitches. Sure the batter can call time out, but then again the catcher can still make multiple trips out to the mound, so that evens itself out. Also, from the looks of the offenses around the league, they aren't penalizing the pitchers enough.

I really don't know, but does the AP reporter come up with the headline or the Newspaper's Sports Editor?  

The newspaper's sub-editor, typically. The odds a reporter came up with a headline, when talking about a major newspaper, are about 10000 to one.