• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Blanton Files

Man, this guy sucks. Three starts so far:

Start 1: 5 IP, 7 Hits, 3 HR, 4 ER (7.20 ERA)

Start 2: 5 IP, 10 Hits, 1 HR, 6 ER (10.80 ERA)

Start 3: 4.2 IP, 9 Hits, 2 HR, 4 ER (7.71 ERA)

Let's see...that's 14.2 IP, 26 Hits (!), 6 HR, and 14 ER for a lovely 8.59 ERA

Nice signing, Jerry.

I literally cannot find any way to defend this signing. Dipoto assembled one of the worst rotations in recent memory.

This rotation has more question marks than the Riddler's costume.

Yup, just made that one up.

xFIP. Same thing people use to defend Greinke.

Isn't that the stat that assumes that base hits don't matter, and magically replaces a pitcher's actually home run rate with a "league average" home rate based on the number of flyballs allowed (ie, the "expected" home run rate)? 

I hated the trade at the time, began to not hate it as much as time went on but I'm right back to hating it now. The whole idea that pitching with the great outfield defense and having the marine layer behind him looks irrelevant now. He throws way too many fastballs down the middle to be successful. 

Isn't that the stat that assumes that base hits don't matter, and magically replaces a pitcher's actually home run rate with a "league average" home rate based on the number of flyballs allowed (ie, the "expected" home run rate)? 

Yup. I've never liked that stat because it literally throws out a pitcher's ability to keep it in the park right out the window. Love advanced stats but this one is dumb. 

JD had to replace 3/5ths of the rotation for 2013 and another guy they had just signed to a long term deal was coming off minor surgery.  Not to mention there was one legit bullpen arm with only mild question marks coming into the season. 

He had one guy coming in to 2013 that didn't have a ? attached to his name.  1 guy of 12. 

Of all the moves he made, the Blanton deal is the one that I just don't get.  Even the scrap heap shuffle of relievers at the end of spring was understandable relative to timing and resources. 

But Joe Blanton?  It makes us call into question the remaining moves he's made which in my opinion are otherwise fairly sound and with good reason.