• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Green back down to SLC

Glen

Green hit .273 in his last 7 games. He's only had 20 ABs this year and that's what he's doing. And they send him back down, in favor of Cron, who has done next to nothing this year? Bullshit. It's clear Green's not wanted on this team. That's too bad because IMHO he could do well if he had a steady chance to play.

If they're not going to use him they need to trade him to another team that might actually let him play. Letting him spin his wheels in AAA isn't doing him any favors.

Doubtful is gets a starting gig on any team. Although, baseball can be unpredictable at times.

Edited by Troll Daddy

Cron is absolutely worthless as long as he's a 4A player. And he can't be anything other than a 4A player at this point until he either becomes a former player, or learns to hit big league pitching. Unfortunately the only sensible thing to do with him is play him, try and get him the reps to figure it out, and hope he learns to adjust.

Green is _almost_ getting to the same boat though. I think Green has more upside, but it's a close call - would you rather have a .230 hitter who hits 25 homers, but strikes out 160+ times and has no glove, or a .260 slap hitter with no power and a barely serviceable glove. I'd rather have the OPS and versatility, but what I'd REALLY rather have is both of them go on a tear at the same time, then package the both of em in a trade for someone who can actually be a regular starter long term.

When has Cron ever been on pace to hit 25 HR?

Green has minimal pop and isn't much of a good hitter overall. Cron has no approach at the plate which is incredible considering his only real skill is his immense power. Most of that is wasted since he routinely swings and lunges at every pitch as if he's some slap hitting contact hitter, trying to punch the ball for dribbler hits. It's really quite baffling

Neither guy is going to make this offense better. They need to find help from outside the org and they likely need to find multiple bats.

Green is nowhere near the bat that Napoli is but I will say that I think he's fine as one of their bench options. He can play a multitude of positions. Certainly would offer more than Featherston IMO. Not sure what that dude has brought to the team this season and I honestly forget he's still on the roster at times

It's still hard to fathom that he was selected before Trout in the draft. I'm still amazed that the scouting was so poor on Trout.

Guys like Green are scouting kryptonite.  Tall, athletic, lots of physical tools at an early age, with an established record of performance at the college level and in a competitive conference.   Normally those guys are good bets to build on their tools, particularly when they show they can handle SS in college -- Green just didn't.  He never got better, never developed more power, never improved his defense, never saw his plate discipline grow -- he plateaued early

When it's all said and done he will likely end up falling into the category of "SoCal failure".  Guys who because of their advanced coaching and year round access to baseball were able to outperform less experienced players.   Now that it seems I've crapped all over him, there is no reason he can't still be a useful player.  Just won't be a star.

Green is nowhere near the bat that Napoli is but I will say that I think he's fine as one of their bench options. He can play a multitude of positions. Certainly would offer more than Featherston IMO. Not sure what that dude has brought to the team this season and I honestly forget he's still on the roster at times

This. They're clinging to Featherston because he's Rule 5, and it's not helping them, or him. He's never even played AAA and he probably would best be served by that right now, but they can't send him there. There was that article where they basically admitted he's not going to get much playing time this year and might need to play winter ball to get the experience he needs. It's a waste of a roster spot, at the end of the day, and one has to wonder if it's worth holding that space open just in the hopes that he will be a useful player in a few years.

Edited by AngelsSurfer

Well, he was on pace to hit 23 last year over a full season, and drive in 76 runs. Close enough.

Unfortunately, that Cron disappeared from the face of the earth.

This Cron, since post-2014 ASB looks like the worst righty hitter in MLB.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Cron showed some promise last year.  He had a good line drive rate and was hitting the ball hard in the first half when he got regular playing time.  Yet he had a 3% walk rate.  So it was only a matter of time until major league pitchers and coaching staffs realize that you don't have to throw this guy strikes.  

The guy can hit strikes.  That's not the issue.  Early last year, they threw him strikes.  Spring of this year.  Strikes.  AAA?  Strikes.  

I feel like a broken record, but the guy will shuffle through a bunch of different orgs and minor league system until something clicks that he can't swing at crap.  Even average or slightly below average major league pitchers have some command of the zone.

He had an at bat yesterday that was a perfect microcosm of why he's had no success this year.  2-1 count and he gets a breaking ball away that was probably going to bounce or at least be clearly out of the zone by quite a bit.  Instead of taking a fastball swing and just missing it because he was fooled, he takes this slappy half swing at it and makes weak contact to 2b.  Easy double play.  

If he qualified, his out of zone swing rate would put him in the top 10 or so in the league.  His out of zone contact rate would put him on the first page.  His pop up rate is also top 5 in the league.  He has no speed.  All of this spells a lot of very weak outs.  

He is literally Pedro Serrano.  

Angels fans arguing about Green vs. Cron is like rock fans arguing about who is better between the Bronski Beat and the Thompson Twins.

Take that 80's reference AO.

Bronski Beat by a mile.

even the Communards ,  BB 2, were better than the TT

Jimmy Summerville FTW

Edited by Lou

When has Cron ever been on pace to hit 25 HR?

My point was that's the upside if he actually ever does figure it out - in a good year he'd still be feast or famine, just with slightly less starvation. He'll never bat .300. Unlikely he'd even bat .250. Best case scenario still isn't that great.

I asked Scioscia why Green got sent down instead of Navarro.

He basically said they could have sent down either. Neither was going to play much in the majors.

My suspicion is that they want Green to play every day rather than rot on the bench in the majors because...

1. They want him to continue to work on his defense

2. They want to pump up his trade value.

I asked Scioscia why Green got sent down instead of Navarro.

He basically said they could have sent down either. Neither was going to play much in the majors.

My suspicion is that they want Green to play every day rather than rot on the bench in the majors because...

1. They want him to continue to work on his defense

2. They want to pump up his trade value.

What could Grant Green possibly fetch? I'd assume he would have to be a part of something bigger?

These moves make me think Jedi has no real plan.

i think he does, it just differs from the fans and owner. I think his plan with servais is to build from within. Obviously we sorely lack hitters in the minors, but that was the same case before he got here. He has however improved the pitching depth, just isnt known yet if those guys will pan out.

Its like the economy, it takes a few years to see if certain policies work or not.

Angels fans arguing about Green vs. Cron is like rock fans arguing about who is better between the Bronski Beat and the Thompson Twins.

Lies, lies, lies yeah! There going to get you.

Take that 80's reference AO.

What could Grant Green possibly fetch? I'd assume he would have to be a part of something bigger?

Yes. But maybe an NL team like the Phillies or Brewers would find him more useful. Players like him do better in the NL.

Like Green and some B-level prospect (Alcantara?) for Adam Lind. Something like that.