• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official MLB Draft Thread

What's going on with Brady Aiken? Is he having health concerns? I saw a mock draft that didn't even have him in the first round.

he had tommy john. he's a massive douche. 

This BS with making the draft a prime time event is annoying...   I had hoped to slapdick all day tomorrow listening/watching the draft and now it seems I'll actually have to get some work done.

Color me bitter.

you don't really here, "slapdick" very often.

You don't pass on Aiken's upside, no matter how much pitching depth you have. This isn't Jeremy Rhoades or DeLoach who are both good, this is a guy with more upside than Sean Newcomb, who we considered a steal at 15. If you get Aiken at 26, you take him.

Yep.

The funny thing is, Cron came out of college with a considerably different scouting report.  He was a decent enough defensive catcher, but a shoulder injury prevented him from playing there in his final year at Utah.  Thus, he moved over to 1B and DH.  It mattered little since he came prepackaged with plus raw power and a very advanced understanding of the strike zone.

Unfortunately, that last part didn't transfer to the majors.  The difference between collegiate off-speed pitches and those in the pros just wasn't something Cron could fully adjust to.  He was also more of a dead-pull hitter coming out of college.  Around AA he began using the entire field, which we've seen in the majors. 

But with Cron, he's an example of the risk that comes with scouting a player based on what he did in college with the assumption it transfers to the pros.  Generally, plate discipline in college DOES translate to the minor leagues and down the road, the pros.  But not always. 

I'm hoping for D.J. Stewart still, who admittedly has some comparisons to Cron, except he can capably play the corner OF. 

The funny thing is, Cron came out of college with a considerably different scouting report.  He was a decent enough defensive catcher, but a shoulder injury prevented him from playing there in his final year at Utah.  Thus, he moved over to 1B and DH.  It mattered little since he came prepackaged with plus raw power and a very advanced understanding of the strike zone.

Unfortunately, that last part didn't transfer to the majors.  The difference between collegiate off-speed pitches and those in the pros just wasn't something Cron could fully adjust to.  He was also more of a dead-pull hitter coming out of college.  Around AA he began using the entire field, which we've seen in the majors. 

But with Cron, he's an example of the risk that comes with scouting a player based on what he did in college with the assumption it transfers to the pros.  Generally, plate discipline in college DOES translate to the minor leagues and down the road, the pros.  But not always. 

I'm hoping for D.J. Stewart still, who admittedly has some comparisons to Cron, except he can capably play the corner OF. 

I worry about Stewart because of his potentially fluffy body, but he's got a lot of things going for him and he knows how to work the strike zone.  He's also got baseball bloodlines, his Dad played in the Pads system back in the early 90s but his Dad's game was more about speed than his bat.  Still, I do worry about his conditioning..  Stewart has been getting progressively rounder as his college career has gone on.    

To his credit, he seems to lose some of the roundness as the season wears on.  But the kid likes to eat.