• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Question re: historic spring training box scores

I am about to run into a dead end on this, and I thought that I would ask here. Does anyone know of a site that has historic box scores of spring training games? Specifically, I am trying to locate the box score of the first game my father ever took me to, between the Cardinals and Phillies at Jacksonville in March 1963. Stan Musial played in that game and I got Musial's autograph on a 1963 Jacksonville Suns program after the game.

Searching historic Jacksonville newspapers online has proven to be useless. Their online archives don't go nearly that far back.

That's what I am afraid of. I have contacted the Jacksonville newspaper to see if anyone there has any ideas. That failing, I may have to set aside some time during my next trip back home to hit the microfiche. At least I have it narrowed down to a 30 day window - and probably less than that, because any games played in Jacksonville usually came as the teams were breaking camp and heading north.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

That had to be a neat experience to come face to face with Stan the Man, as he was getting ready to start his last MLB season.

I would have been age 6 and in first grade at the time.   The only sports memory I have from that far back is Arnold Palmer on tv in a PGA tourney while getting a haircut.

That had to be a neat experience to come face to face with Stan the Man, as he was getting ready to start his last MLB season.

I would have been age 6 and in first grade at the time.   The only sports memory I have from that far back is Arnold Palmer on tv in a PGA tourney while getting a haircut.

It is my earliest memory of baseball. Back then players all wore suits when they traveled. I remember that Stan's was a medium gray, and he wore sunglasses as he boarded the bus. People didn't recognize him at first, and there was a rush toward him. My father and I didn't make it. Bill White reached out the bus window for my program and handed it back to me with Musial's autograph on it. I have always been grateful for that act of kindness, and if I ever get the chance to meet Bill White I am going to have him sign it too.

a GREAT book about that same cardinal team is titled: October 1964. describes the cardinal team in detail, with short historys of players like Gibson, Flood and White. also contains stories of mantles yankees who the cards met that year in the series.

written by pulitzer prize winner David Halberstam. The book really goes into thier lives and development as baseball players and men.the basics of Floods battle for free agency. Mc Carver's journey through the card's system etc.also gives a detailed desciption game by game of that classic world series.

the best baseball book i've ever read.

a GREAT book about that same cardinal team is titled: October 1964. describes the cardinal team in detail, with short historys of players like Gibson, Flood and White. also contains stories of mantles yankees who the cards met that year in the series.

written by pulitzer prize winner David Halberstam. The book really goes into thier lives and development as baseball players and men.the basics of Floods battle for free agency. Mc Carver's journey through the card's system etc.also gives a detailed desciption game by game of that classic world series.

In a related note, David Halbertstam also wrote The Breaks of the Game, a critically acclaimed book about the 1980-1981 Portland Trail Blazers season.  The book goes into some depth on Bobby Gross, who is our own Angel Oracle's favorite alltime basketball player.

Bobby Gross began his collegiate career at Seattle University before transferring to LB State

Seattle Univ is now coached by Cameron Dollar, who led UCLA to the 1995 NCAA Championship vs Arkansas

while playing for an injured Tyus Edney

BAM!

Bobby Gross began his collegiate career at Seattle University before transferring to LB State

Seattle Univ is now coached by Cameron Dollar, who led UCLA to the 1995 NCAA Championship vs Arkansas

while playing for an injured Tyus Edney

BAM!

and in the hangout forum there's a thread about evangelist creflo dollar wanting to buy a private jet. lots of planes are made in seattle.

it always comes full circle.

The 1964 World Series is a very special one to me. It is the first one that I ever paid real attention to, and one that my father was very much into. My father was a lifelong Cardinals fan. I remember the Cards playing the Mets in New York on the next-to-last day of the season. At the time I knew nothing about the Phillies blowing that epic lead or the significance of this particular game with a trip to the World Series at stake, but my father was cursing at the television more than usual. The Mets at the time were a running joke, but this particular day they were killing St. Louis, winning 15-5. St. Louis clinched the WS trip with a win the next day, finishing a game ahead of the Phillies and Reds.

Back them World Series games were played during the day. My fourth grade teacher brought in a television so that we could watch the games during class. I had a good friend who was a hard core Yankees fan, and the two of us went back and forth. As an aside I caught up with him on Facebook about six months ago, and we have made plans to visit some of our old haunts the next time I visit Jacksonville.

I bought a DVD of this World Series because of its significance in my love of baseball and my bonding with my father.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled argument.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan