• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Giavotella

I have nothing bad to say about Giavotella. He is performing above his career numbers even though those are scattered at bats across years of bouncing up and down the minors.

It is a tough group of 2nd basemen he is competing against for respect. While offense has been down the last few years the 2nd base position seems to be full of guys playing better than league average.

Currently there are 8 players batting over. 290 and 7 with an OPS over. 800, Kendrick is at .792. Giavotella is looking pretty weak at a sub 700 but, as people have posted, he gets his hitting in with runners on base. That fills in for his OPS that is stunted by a lack of power.

The Angels could have fared far worse this offseason letting Giavotella slip through the cracks, either by not picking him up or ignoring his spring training in favor of a veteran safe bet.

Edited by notti

Part of the "selective memory" re: Howie is the fact that, mixed in with those hits w/RISP were some atrocious ABs w/RISP - awful Ks at breaking balls in the dirt or the dreaded GIDP. 

If a guy gets an RBI single in the 2nd inning, and then comes up again in the 8th inning in a tie game with the bases loaded and hits into an inning ending DP, guess what fans are going to remember from that game?

I have nothing bad to say about Giavotella. He is performing above his career numbers even though those are scattered at bats across years of bouncing up and down the minors.

It is a tough group of 2nd basemen he is competing against for respect. While offense has been down the last few years the 2nd base position seems to be full of guys playing better than league average.

Currently there are 8 players batting over. 290 and 7 with an OPS over. 800, Kendrick is at .792. Giavotella is looking pretty weak at a sub 700 but, as people have posted, he gets his hitting in with runners on base. That fills in for his OPS that is stunted by a lack of power.

The Angels could have fared far worse this offseason letting Giavotella slip through the cracks, either by not picking him up or ignoring his spring training in favor of a veteran safe bet.

I think we were fortunate to have Howie for 9 years.....and I think we are fortunate that DiPoto and the front office thought Gia was worth a shot....and there is nothing that makes those opinions mutually exclusive...

Edited by DMVol

Part of the "selective memory" re: Howie is the fact that, mixed in with those hits w/RISP were some atrocious ABs w/RISP - awful Ks at breaking balls in the dirt or the dreaded GIDP.

If a guy gets an RBI single in the 2nd inning, and then comes up again in the 8th inning in a tie game with the bases loaded and hits into an inning ending DP, guess what fans are going to remember from that game?

How many times did you see what you are describing as opposed to what is actually facts? Edited by notti

How many times did you see what you are describing as opposed to what is actually facts?

my point is, there's a reason so many fans have that impression of Howie, and it's not just because he never won a batting title. I'm not trying to discount everything he did, or say he's a bad player. Just a very frustrating one, whose numbers (which are mostly good) don't tell the whole story. 

I really like Giavotella. Great player, hustles, works hard, etc...

But this team isn't quite the same without Howie's production and big personality. You don't really see the same cameraderie in the dugout any more.

I really like Giavotella. Great player, hustles, works hard, etc...

But this team isn't quite the same without Howie's production and big personality. You don't really see the same cameraderie in the dugout any more.

howie hardly ever talked to anyone in the clubhouse. He sat there all the time with his headphones on looking at his iPad or his phone.

I don't think anyone disliked him. They all got along on the field. All thought he was a good player.

But to paint him as anything more in terms of leadership or camaraderie or mojo or whatever would just be false.

Usually I don't share this kind of stuff because I feel what goes on in the clubhouse beyond what's said in interviews is sort of off the record, but this is about the thousandth time I've read something like this here about Howie.

howie hardly ever talked to anyone in the clubhouse. He sat there all the time with his headphones on looking at his iPad or his phone.

I don't think anyone disliked him. They all got along on the field. All thought he was a good player.

But to paint him as anything more in terms of leadership or camaraderie or mojo or whatever would just be false.

Usually I don't share this kind of stuff because I feel what goes on in the clubhouse beyond what's said in interviews is sort of off the record, but this is about the thousandth time I've read something like this here about Howie.

I was under the impression that players keeping to themselves was basically the norm in professional locker rooms, and that there's far less social interaction with fellow players compared to high school or even college level that many fans are experienced with. 

I was under the impression that players keeping to themselves was basically the norm in professional locker rooms, and that there's far less social interaction with fellow players compared to high school or even college level that many fans are experienced with.

It's a mix, but Howie was the extreme.

I like Gia's attitude and drive -- as someone else mentioned he's scrappy. The only thing I could do without is the way he grabs himself like four times before every AB. I could be wrong but I don't think that particular area of his anatomy is going to help him with his ABs.

I do that when I play to intimidate the opposition.