• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Percival joining as coach?

According to Ken Rosenthal, down in middle of article:

"A third party has contacted former Angels reliever Troy Percival about possibly joining the organization in some kind of coaching capacity, according to a major league source. However, it’s unclear whether a pursuit of Percival, if it indeed took place, would be related to the Angels’ struggles."

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/arte-moreno-decisions-leave-los-angeles-angels-with-questions-jered-weaver-albert-pujols-041513

Does anyone think Troy Percival would be an effective pitching coach? Doesn't seem like a career closer would have the expertise to coach an entire pitching staff.

He's been an instructor in camp several times, and from what what I've heard from him in interviews and the like in recent years, he sounds like he's pretty knowledgeable.  He might also be better at relating to the players than Butcher, as he's closer in age and has a pretty impressive resume.

Does anyone think Troy Percival would be an effective pitching coach? Doesn't seem like a career closer would have the expertise to coach an entire pitching staff.

I doubt they're looking at him for Butcher's job.  But if I were Steve Soliz I would be concerned...  This is his third season as BP coach and guess what?  They've underwhelmed during his entire tenure.

Not saying he would be good or not, I don't believe anyone knows at this point. Has he done any coaching in higher ball? If so, was he successful? Grit and communication skills are both wonderful tools to possess as an instructor, and he could very well have both. Having the ability to identify a pitchers struggle and subsequently fix it is an unknown at this point; at least I believe that to be the case.

How much control does Butcher have when it comes to bullpen management? All that said, I personally would not mind a change at pitching coach during the off-season. To do it now would ring of desperation, and desperation never looks good, especially 12 games into the season. I say we chill. Put Percy in the minors (if he is willing) for a bit and observe.

Not sure he'd be effective managing starters and talking to them in the 6th and 7th inning about how they're feeling, "c'mon you pussy.  Work through these menstrual cramps and finish this inning off."  

But I'd love to see him around.  I always hate him not finishing his career in Anaheim.

He'd definitely be good to flip some shit over in the dugout after a loss, and smash a few urinals.    He might be the guy to actually upend the Sosh postgame buffet table.  

I think we'd definitely see him in the faces of guys, heaving and spitting tobacco juice all over the place.

I'm in on his rejoining the team.    But I also agree he needs some minor league instruction on coaching.