• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade of Alex Smith to Chiefs "effectively complete"

nate

I'm wondering where he is going. The number of teams looking for QBs isn't large, and apparently Philadelphia and Kansas City are talking about Nick Foles. My Jaguars could certainly use a QB of Smith's caliber, but I don't know if they have enough other parts in place for a QB to make a big difference. I also don't know what they could have that the Niners would be interested in - since Smith isn't worth the #2 overall pick in the draft.

Philly told KC last week Foles isn't available.

Would like this deal if KC only gives up a 5th. Smith is due 8m and SF is at 8.5 cap space before his contract kicks in going into FA and the draft. I always thought teams should let Smith be released or let SF eat his contract and be strapped. I guess when your QB play consists of Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn you have to play ball.

Philly told KC last week Foles isn't available.

Would like this deal if KC only gives up a 5th. Smith is due 8m and SF is at 8.5 cap space before his contract kicks in going into FA and the draft. I always thought teams should let Smith be released or let SF eat his contract and be strapped. I guess when your QB play consists of Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn you have to play ball.

I think at this point, the Niners will take whatever they can get for Smith. A 4th rounder would be nice, but I wouldn't mind a 5th rounder. That's 8 mil not on the books for us that we can spend on a speedy receiver, or some secondary help.

The Chiefs obviously have a lot of needs but all in all they're moving in the right direction.  They've got the #1 overall pick and will most likely take one of the OL to further protect Smith unless they trade back where they could still get one of the top OL.  He's got Jamal Charles in the backfield so the next big need is a receiving weapon as I believe Bowe is a FA.   

I hope he's going to the Cardinals. Kolb and Skelton suck ass

As a Cardinal fan im fine with Kolb. He actually played well while playing with the most terrible O Line I've ever seen.

No QB would have succeeded behind that line.

Kolb will be fine if they can fix the line.

ESPN just did a breaking news on it, aside from nando also posted, and have it up on the site.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8995035/san-francisco-49ers-agree-trade-alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs-source

I'm actually more worried about what KC gave up.

Not sure it affects the draft too much, nando. No QB was worth the #1 and now teams that were interested in reaching for one (Jets, Buffalo) can wait to the end of the top 10 where some think a team will reach for Geno Smith. I also think they can resign Albert and still draft Joekel. I wish they would trade back, but no one wants to jump up for anyone in this draft. Trade back and get a guy like Chance Warmack

Updated with Glazer tweet that he is going to the Chiefs.  Congrats Brandon and Soto.

Not yet. 

I think most of the problem was coaching and play calling. We essentially have a Alex Smith in Matt Cassel (the game manager type) and with some quality play calling like Charlie Weiss brought he was a Pro Bowler.

He's an upgrade, but he could easily be a Cassel 2.0. Luckily, he thrived in Harbaugh's west coast offense and that's what Reid runs and also has a proficiency of building or making QB's better.

ESPN just did a breaking news on it, aside from nando also posted, and have it up on the site.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8995035/san-francisco-49ers-agree-trade-alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs-source

I'm actually more worried about what KC gave up.

Not sure it affects the draft too much, nando. No QB was worth the #1 and now teams that were interested in reaching for one (Jets, Buffalo) can wait to the end of the top 10 where some think a team will reach for Geno Smith. I also think they can resign Albert and still draft Joekel. I wish they would trade back, but no one wants to jump up for anyone in this draft. Trade back and get a guy like Chance Warmack

It effects the draft bc ppl assume kc was reaching for a qb. Im with you, there's no qb worth taking in the top 10 imo but im sure someone will reach. I dont think Warmack will last past 10-12. I would love for my cards to get him at #7 if Joekel and Fisher are gone. yes a bit high for a guard but this guy has larry allen written all over him. Lane Johnson the OT from Oklahoma would be solid too but i value Warmack more.

I don't think anyone wanted to reach with a trade though for a QB. With KC now locking up a QB, now it looks promising to trade out if some team covets Joekel, Fisher, or Jarvis Jones (who I think is the best prospect). But Star with the heart condition also hinders someone wanting to trade up as many had him at #1 on their boards.

Agreed about Warmack. Many are saying he has more upside than DeCastro last year who was one of the most hyped interior linemen in many years. The Chiefs drafted some good prospect OL's last year, but the injuries were tough. So not only do they need depth inside, but Warmack is one of those Will Shields 10+ years maulers.

But I never thought the Chiefs were going to reach for Geno Smith like some thought. The front office even said as much. Actually the new GM even said no one was worth the #1 from a QB perspective. I thought they would go best player available if they don't trade back and were going to get a QB in round 2. Now who knows. 

Ugh.

ESPN has on their bottom ticker the Chiefs gave up a 2nd and a conditional mid round pick in 2014.

I think it's too much being that SF was kind of strapped with his contract.

Good news is Cassel is set to be cut as well. Dude pulled a Vernon Wells/Carl Pavano like heist.

I don't know enough about the SF cap situation but here's a crazy trade I thought up.

SF's 1st and 2nd round (not the Chief's pick) to Arizona for Larry Fitzgerald. SF needs a WR and this draft isn't good for WR's. Arizona isn't going anywhere with Fitzgerald eating their cap and need to rebuild. They might be able to get Barkley at #31 and clear a lot of cap space.

I don't understand why the Chiefs love mediocre QB's. The best part of this for them is they can now take something else in the draft and not reach for Geno Smith. I'm hoping they don't draft someone for their offensive line because I wanted Lane Johnson to fall to the Chargers. All these changes will certainly help the Chiefs though, as much as I'm not a Smith fan

I don't know enough about the SF cap situation but here's a crazy trade I thought up.

SF's 1st and 2nd round (not the Chief's pick) to Arizona for Larry Fitzgerald. SF needs a WR and this draft isn't good for WR's. Arizona isn't going anywhere with Fitzgerald eating their cap and need to rebuild. They might be able to get Barkley at #31 and clear a lot of cap space.

Fitz aint going no where. Especially within the division

There's talk the Niners will use their abundance of picks to get Rivis from the Jets