• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Throwing strikes

I know it's frustrating especially to AO when he nibbles, but maybe he nibbles because honestly his stuff isn't that great. He nibbles to get guys to chase or hit it off the end of the bat. I'm just playing devils advocate here to start a discussion rather than us just post the results.

I know it's frustrating especially to AO when he nibbles, but maybe he nibbles because honestly his stuff isn't that great. He nibbles to get guys to chase or hit it off the end of the bat. I'm just playing devils advocate here to start a discussion rather than us just post the results.

IF that's the case, then why does Gooby go on and on about how great his fastball is?

Smith and Langston made it sound like he was getting squeezed a bit. Not that you're going to get borderline calls when you have a rep as a "nibbler".

In addition to his reputation as a nibbler, I do think his style of pitching can lead to umpires squeezing him.  He appears to mostly try to finesse a hitter rather than challenge them.  He has the velocity, but tries to throw too many cutters which I don't believe he has a good command of and is probably his 3rd or 4th best pitch.  Dude just needs to pound the strike zone. 

Because Guby is paid by the Angels to say positive things. 

That is an over simplified and erroneous response.  One of the things I like about Rojas is how he calls it like he sees it.  I think this has rubbed off on Gub, as well.  I also agree that Wilson has a good fast ball and can place it where he wants; command is not the problem.  It's in his head, as Rojas mentioned today.  I absolutely do not think that "he nibbles because he knows his stuff is not that great."  What a load of SHIT.

According to fox tracks CJ was not getting squeezed. Ump had a good zone. All those balls were borderline sure but they were just off the plate. He's predictable. If I were in an 0-2 count against him I wouldn't swing till it was 3-2. It is predictable, he needs to throw strikes 0-2 & 1-2 sometimes.

According to fox tracks CJ was not getting squeezed. Ump had a good zone. All those balls were borderline sure but they were just off the plate. He's predictable. If I were in an 0-2 count against him I wouldn't swing till it was 3-2. It is predictable, he needs to throw strikes 0-2 & 1-2 sometimes.

Yes, but Blanton doesn't walk anybody (throws strikes) and he gives up runs like a Mexican buffet.  Point is, everything in moderation.

I'm not saying he should just throw strikes every 0-2 or 1-2 count but he has to do it sometimes or hitters will just assume those pitches are going to be out of the zone and lay off. My point is he's too predictable, just like Blanton. Blanton needs to be willing to waste more pitches to set up bad contact, opposite problem.

I'm not saying he should just throw strikes every 0-2 or 1-2 count but he has to do it sometimes or hitters will just assume those pitches are going to be out of the zone and lay off. My point is he's too predictable, just like Blanton. Blanton needs to be willing to waste more pitches to set up bad contact, opposite problem.

I have an idea: let's do a splice between Wilson and Blanton and have a Wilton!

Seriously, you never throw another strike at 0-2...even 1-2 is debatable.  However, it is obvious that Wilson is throwing too many pitches, especially full counts.

Seriously, you never throw another strike at 0-2...even 1-2 is debatable. However, it is obvious that Wilson is throwing too many pitches, especially full counts.

Never? Even when everyone knows you'll throw a ball?! A pitcher has to keep them honest or they'll never swing in those counts. That's like saying lets just start with a 2-2 count and go from there. It shouldn't be all the time but CJ is too predictable. Get a quick 0-2 count, nibble till its 3-2, and then hope for the best. It's just driving his pitch count up and putting the other team in a position to succeed.

CJ is what he is.  A guy that lives on and off the corners.  Even when he was going good at the beginning of last year he still only threw about 60% strikes.  He's done this his entire career and isn't likely to change.  He's thrown 3 seasons in a row of 200+ ip with the same technique.  It's hard to get used to, but in the end, the numbers are there.  A sub 3.5era and 200ip by the end of the season is about what to expect.  It may always seem like there is something left on the table, but it ain't gonna be any different.