• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Team batting average-29 out of 30 teams

That's some serious suckage. Only the Brewers are worse than the Angels .232 average. Interestingly the Astros are only batting ,233. Big difference though, Angels 25 in RBIs, Astros 7th. Angels 27 in runs scores, Astros 7th. Astros are hitting at better times than the Angels. 

Call'em false stats, but it seems clear that the problem is the Angels offense sucks. 

Looked the same the final 2 weeks of last season and the playoffs. This isn't a temporary thing. It's time they start selling players for youth whatever they can and rebuild. Fire scoscia too

Fire Sosh, trade Trout, Shoe, Richards, Santiago and Kole to get younger, considering they are about the only players other teams want.

not false stats. this team has a terrible time (so far) of picking up RISP.

could be personal predjudice, but it seems like all sciosia teams do?

I think it's personnel more than it is Sosh. I doubt we would see any of these current "hitters" go and be more successful under another manager for an extended period of time. Who should be better at this point in their career with RISP?

Team BABIP is .269.  Nobody wants to hear they have been unlucky, but it's what's been happening.  It's not Baylor, it's not MS, it may be a little bit of AP being incapable of hitting away from the shift..  but when it's all said and done, the team's been unlucky.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Not sure why we continue to cycle through batting coaches when the head of the snake is the problem. How many hitting coaches will suffer because of Scoscia? I feel bad for Baylor's replacement, he is destined to fail.

the team can't hit because of Scoiscia?

Team BABIP is .269.  Nobody wants to hear they have been unlucky, but it's what's been happening.  It's not Baylor, it's not MS, it may be a little bit of AP being incapable of hitting away from the shift..  but when it's all said and done, the team's been unlucky.

But what about the low hard hit ball average?

But what about the low hard hit ball average?

Honest answer?  I don't know enough about how hard contact rates correlate to BABIP to know if one is causing the other beyond the obvious.  I also don't know if hard contact rates can be used to predict future performance.   

Here's what I do know.   Harder hit balls tend to have more positive results much more often..  so based on that there should be a very clear connection.  But then if you look at the numbers.  FG has the Mariners as having put up the best Hard contact in MLB at 32.5% but their BABIP is just barely ahead of the Angels at .273.  The Tigers hard contact rate is 27.7, just barely ahead of the Angels at 27.0 but they have the best BABIP in MLB at .331.  The Royals have a Hard contact rate lower than the Angels at 25.3 but the 5th best BABIP at .313

So the cursory glance at the numbers doesn't really seem to make any real connections -- it may simply be bad luck.   

I'd look up the numbers over ten years across MLB if I had more time.  It's an interesting question.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Hey stat guys, do I need to understand low hard hit rates and stuff like that to be considered more than a casual fan? I am not asking that to be a dick, I just am not sure I want to spend a bunch of time learning stuff if it doesn't help me more than my eye balls help me.

The easy answer is this...

mimetex-cgi.gif

i will argue to the death that RBI's are NOT a false stat.

Something else we agree on. It might be better looked at as a team stat if that makes sense. I can tell you that a team with the least amount of RBI will not be a great offensive team.

RBIs as an individual stat are almost entirely dependent on context. If you have a bad hitting team with one star (for instance, Trout), then his RBIs will be deflated.

It works much better as a team stat. Generally speaking, if your team does not score a lot of runs, you won't have a lot of RBIs.

BABIP is useful in determining whether an individual player (or a team) has been relatively lucky or unlucky and can help determine whether there will be regression to the mean in the future.

The Angels have been pretty unlucky, but some (Pujols) are also not making the adjustments that they can and need to.