• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Forever Grateful and Forever Heartbroken

PicDog1.jpg

By Robert Cunningham, AngelsWin.com Columnist - 

I’m going to preface this article by apologizing for being selfish. I lost someone very important to me and it may not be important for you. Please bear with me, I’ll try to keep it brief but 14 years can’t be encapsulated in just a couple of sentences and words.

It’s December 2001 and I’m at work and I get a call from my wife, Firozeh, from her place of work: “Robert, Robert, there’s a dog here that needs a home! Can we adopt him?!?!?!?!”

After a short discussion I drove over and walked into the store. My wife opens up the door to the break room and she calls to a figure outside of my view: “Come here!”

Seconds later 16 lbs. of black and white Shih-Tzu walks up to her. My wife points to me and says: “There’s your new daddy!” He looked at me, looked back at her and nodded his head.

Who knew at that moment that 14 years of pure love and joy would enter our lives and change us forever?

The apartment we had at the time didn’t accept pets so we did our best to keep him hidden. We quickly discovered from his previous family, who was unable to keep him, that his name was “Blackie”.

We tried containing him in the kitchen to avoid potential pet stains on the floor but Blackie was a really smart cookie and after 2 days we woke up and found him laying on our couch in the living room.

Before we knew it he was in our bed and deep in our hearts. He ate like a pig and had the metabolism of an Olympic athlete.

Blackie loved to go for walks and we were happy because he provided companionship for my mother-in-law and father-in-law when they stayed with us and we had to go to work.

He was a perfect little gentleman and very well-mannered. Blackie loved to chase his toys and he loved to battle spider hand:

Here’s a short sample of pictures over the years. Although they obviously don’t fully capture the experience you can see the love that we shared:

Hanging with the Grand Parents:
 photo grandparents_zpsigtcjwkd.jpg

Hanging Out with Mommy:

photo mom_zpsyvzgncha.jpg

Enjoying a D-ahh-licious Dinner with His Parents:
 photo dinner_zpskq267cex.jpg

Studying Physics with Daddy:

photo dad_zpsk5rgey35.jpg

A Crowning Achievement for Me, My Queen and My Little Prince:
 photo graduatioon_zpssvzumtxd.jpg

Blackie died from complications from a cancerous cyst on Tuesday, May 19th, 2015. He died in his mommy’s arms while she sang a song to him.

To help honor Blackie’s memory I’d ask each of you to spend some time today with someone you love and care about.

Whether it’s your children, husband/wife, parents, girlfriend/boyfriend, or even just a friend, call them up, send them an e-mail, IM, or text, or, even better yet, watch the Angels play tonight.

Just spend some time with them and cherish it.

Tuesday evening I lost my son and the Angels won that night.

And I’m not just talking about the team. God called up his best prospect he’s ever going to get to join his Angels.

RIP Son, your Mommy and I love you and we can’t wait to see your beautiful, shining face, again, when our time is up.
uzUte9BDlWg

View the full article

It's a week today and it's just crushed my wife and I. We loved him so much and the home feels so empty. I sincerely appreciate all of the condolences. This isn't the first time I've had to put a furry family member down but it has honestly been the toughest time in my life. We really invested all of our love in him, which is both a blessing for the time you have with them and a black cloud over you for the remainder of the time you are without them. This was just as worse but different from when my mom and father both passed away. Sorry I'm rambling now..... Just make sure you guys spend a little bit of time with someone you love and care about today.

Sorry for your loss sir. My dogs and cats are part of our family as well. Had to put down my boxer about 6 years ago. He was with us from the beginning, when I first got married, first kid everything. Flying back to California the movie on the plane was Marley and Me. Nothing like crying on a plane with 300 strangers.

That's how it was with my cat. I got him when I was 15 and he died when I was 32. He'd been there for me through high school, college, all of my 20s, my first "real" job and all sorts of heartbreak and triumphs. When he had to be put to sleep due to advanced cancer, I was beyond bereft and I grieved for a very long time. You're right, they really are family and they mean so much.

It's a week today and it's just crushed my wife and I. We loved him so much and the home feels so empty. I sincerely appreciate all of the condolences. This isn't the first time I've had to put a furry family member down but it has honestly been the toughest time in my life. We really invested all of our love in him, which is both a blessing for the time you have with them and a black cloud over you for the remainder of the time you are without them. This was just as worse but different from when my mom and father both passed away. Sorry I'm rambling now..... Just make sure you guys spend a little bit of time with someone you love and care about today.

I lost my mother, father-in-law, and dog within 6 months, and I can honestly say putting the dog down upset me more than anything.

Mom had cancer, so we knew it was coming. FIL died suddenly from a massive heart attack, but was always a risk. Having to make the decision to end a beloved pet's life is so difficult.

losing a pet is so hard.

the only problem with great companion pets is that they leave us at about the 15 year mark and it's so tough.

putting down a pet is just the worst experience - although for true animals lovers knowing when to make that tough decision is also an act of kindness so that it's not the owner just keeping the ailing pet alive for them and not for the pet's well being -- but true animal lovers make that real tough call at the right time..........

sorry for the loss -- travel, do some things that perhaps you were not able to do and give it a few months.......then go down to the shelter and save another dog -- a fortunate dog who would be a very lucky dog to be part of your family..........

Very sorry for your loss. I had to put down my beloved miniature schnauzer Fritz not long before I moved west. Smart little guy, loved to play until strokes took it away from him. Saw me through the darkest period of my life when I suddenly found myself alone except for him and my cat. May 14 was his birthday. I had 15 years with him, but it wasn't enough.

My sincere condolences.

• 4 months later...

It's been a bad year. Lost my sister-in-law 3 weeks ago and today I had to bury our sweet little Pomeranian Tweety Bird. I'm sitting here just crushed right now. We adopted her about 3 years ago and she had multiple health issues but I loved waking up to her shaking her tail and I just can't bring myself to go to sleep because I know when I wake she won't be there to start my day off right. Sorry but I'm failing to see the master plan where this makes any sense.