• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How long will they wait before making a move...

The moment they made the call to give Hamilton what he wanted it was obvious we were going to need offensive help. 
Waiting for teams to fell out of contention might seal our own fate as well so... i hope they are looiking to act sooner rather than later.

Lets be real, we have a a finite window here, cant really afford to waste seasons.

I know i know luxury tax etc... but thats the position weve put ourselves in, to hide behind that is a copout.

Arte once said that he would spend whatever is necessary and that his goals are not met until the Angels win a championship.

I wonder if the City of Anaheim, coupled with the fails of investing in Pujols and Hamilton have changed his approach on things. I don't think Arte is going to spend any additional money on Jerry's patch work rosters. Is JB Shuck still waiting by the phone?

It's a tough call flop, if they make a move now the cost will be huge. If you wait till the deadline, assuming we are still within a few games of first, the cost for a smiling player would be 70% of the cost now.

As far as Arte going over for the right player I still think he would.

Arte once said that he would spend whatever is necessary and that his goals are not met until the Angels win a championship.

I wonder if the City of Anaheim, coupled with the fails of investing in Pujols and Hamilton have changed his approach on things. I don't think Arte is going to spend any additional money on Jerry's patch work rosters. Is JB Shuck still waiting by the phone?

JB is batting .281 for the White Sox in 32 AB (all singles).

It's a tough call flop, if they make a move now the cost will be huge. If you wait till the deadline, assuming we are still within a few games of first, the cost for a smiling player would be 70% of the cost now.

I agree Stradling.  I think they have to risk falling out of the race and wait until they have better choices at lower costs in a month or so.  A nice hot streak in the next 30 days would really help.  I still think we have some minor leaguers who could help temporarily (like Green, Navarro, Marte, and Kubitza).  But maybe they don't want to spoil their trade value by bringing them up and having them fail.

You are right of course, but honestly i cant see us getting anything of real help, the kind of trade we should make, that wont cost us a lot either way.

Yes, a trade for anything of significance will cost us young pitching, thats a given... but it isnt like we are likely to get impact at the deadline for anything less unless we just try to get an aging guy for a box of balls and that isnt likely to help anyway.

i guess what im trying to say is that the kind of trade we should b making is going to hurt now or then so unless we truly are bargain hunting at the deadline waiting only hurts ourselves.

We dont need a stop gap, we need a solution. We need what we thought we had in Hamilton.  That isnt coming cheap now or anytime

Arte probably added Dipoto to his call blocking list so Jerry is going to have to figure it out without adding to the current payroll. These are the times that Jerry the genius needs to prove that he can put together a sustainable winning team.

Edited by CALZONE

We may just have to sacrifice this season in order to keep our young pitchers (Heaney and Newcomb).

I'm fine with Dipoto trading anyone else from our farm for a bat.

On the one hand i want to compete this year, and still think we can. But i agree with that.

We lost howie and hamilton, and you see what the result is. Adding a bat or two can have the same effect, especially with the pitching we're getting.

But i think with trout still being a baby, a young crop of pitchers centered around richards and seemingly newcomb and heaney, its not a bad idea to build around next year. I think pujols/hamilton scares us off from chasing upton but thats what im hoping for.

A winter where we get upton and say reddick (just because hes been mentioned for arguments sake), pujols to dh and calhoun to 1B would make us very good again next year (and the next few years after).

Which makes the Howie deal all for not.

Unless of course we get better. Zobrist is considered better than Howie, and if we got Reddick as well (obviously we would have to add other pieces) then it isn't all for not. Would you trade Howie and a couple prospects for Zobrist and Reddick? The answers pretty much a resounding yes.

Pitching usually wins championships.  I'd rather see some kids flail than pay through the nose for more failed wannabe sluggers pulling it into the shift every time.  

I'm not saying you totally give up on 2015, but let's face it, if we get in, it'll be through the wild card route.  At which point pitching is what wins.

If we make any deals, I'd want those deals focused on what will help us in 2016.  In the mean time let's see what some kids can do.