• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Inventory of Angels Trade Assets

JD really screwed up with the pitcher stockpile. Don't get me wrong, he's done a phenomenal job upholstering the team's pitching–but, he's completely neglected the offense. I really like the guy, and I'm a fan of many things he's done, but there's some kind of tunnel vision going on with the way he built this year's team.

I think he deserves a lot of criticism over the Kendrick trade. 

Honestly the Angels kind of need a rebuild, so to speak. Not saying they should, but it's really the only way to give legit balance to the farm system. Otherwise we are depleting an area of strength to balance it out, while still maintaining a weak overall system.

JD really screwed up with the pitcher stockpile. Don't get me wrong, he's done a phenomenal job upholstering the team's pitching–but, he's completely neglected the offense. I really like the guy, and I'm a fan of many things he's done, but there's some kind of tunnel vision going on with the way he built this year's team.

I'd still make that Heaney-Kendrick deal.  The predominant thinking behind this is that Kendrick will be 32 heading into Free Agency and the Angels have Yarbrough coming off an MVP season in AA.  They were also able to bring in Giavotella, who isn't as good as Kendrick but was free and is doing a fine job.  So they give up one year of Kendrick and get six years of Heaney, a LH #2 or 3 starter in the future, save some money and open up a spot for one of the their better prospects. 

It's still a good deal for both sides.  

But something that hasn't been mentioned much, if the Dodgers don't sign Kendrick to an extension (they have Guerrero, Turner, Uribe and Oliveira), Kendrick hits free agency, what if the Angels bring him back?

Honestly the Angels kind of need a rebuild, so to speak. Not saying they should, but it's really the only way to give legit balance to the farm system. Otherwise we are depleting an area of strength to balance it out, while still maintaining a weak overall system.

We don't rebuild, we reload. Then we unload. Then we tweak and then we suck. Then we fire the GM and start all over again. Got it!

Yeah, I viewed this year as a rebuilding year coming into the season, I figured we wouldn't be very competitive for a number of reasons. We're now sitting a game above .500 and it's mid-late may and we're second in our division mainly due to do a weak division.

The fact that it's Houston that we trail makes it even more tempting to make some moves and gear up for another run, but do we do it at the expense of our farm that's finally starting to look promising? Personally, I think any time you have a legit chance at the division and playoffs you go for it, but that's Jerry's call and he's definitely in a tough spot.

Rebuild...to an extent.  They're still keeping their core intact so it's more of a reload.  Example, Trout, Calhoun, Aybar and Pujols are coming back, we know this.  We're losing Chris Iannetta and David Freese to free agency, but we're replacing them with the better, younger, cheaper models in Jett Bandy and Kyle Kubitza.  Weaver is getting up there in age and Shoemaker and Wilson are becoming erratic.  But we also have Tropeano, Heaney and Skaggs in the rotation next year. 

That just leaves three positions, 2B, LF and DH.  The Angels are using Giavottela in 2B for now, but they could decide to turn to Yarbrough next year or make an effort to bring Kendrick back through free agency.  At DH, they're hoping Cron takes it and runs with it, but it doesn't look like that's happening right now.  So they'll use the depth to acquire the DH and LF.  

Essentially, I see the Angels doing a lot of in-house replacements and getting better and younger next year.  The only two spots that'll be cause for rebuilding are LF and possibly DH. 

Is Kubitza really the future 3b?

Unless we land Guerroro in a trade from LAD. Sign Cespedes in the off season. Cuban missile crisis anyone?

Lf- cespedes

cf- Trout

Rf- Calhoun

Ss-aybar

3b-Guerrero

2b- ? /Yarbrough

1b- Pujols

c- perez/bandy

Not bad imo

Edited by nando714

That's a depressing group of trade chips. The Angels will need to group of a bucket of them to net something good. I think Dipoto would trade Tropeano and Shoemaker.

We don't rebuild, we reload. Then we unload. Then we tweak and then we suck.

We really don't need to know your sexual activities, Calzone.

Is Kubitza really the future 3b?

Unless we land Guerroro in a trade from LAD. Sign Cespedes in the off season. Cuban missile crisis anyone?

Kubitza is a solid prospect, nando. He'll be a plus hitter and mediocre defender - so an overall average to above average regular, maybe 2-3 WAR. If he an improve his defense to average then all of a sudden he's a real asset.

Anyhow, it is clear that this franchise really needs an influx of offensive talent. There are literally no prospects in the minors that have a solid chance of being star caliber hitters, which is why I was disappointed that they didn't go after Moncada. Maybe it will be Edy Martinez.

I feel like this franchise needs a lucky break with a hitter. I'm not sure how that could happen, but they need someone to emerge out of nowhere or for Jerry to make magic happen.

Edited by Angelsjunky

The old saying is "better off getting rid of a player a year early, rather than a year late".  JD actually got an asset in exchange. And who knows, maybe Howie could resign after this season. Unlikely, but possible.

That's a depressing group of trade chips. The Angels will need to group of a bucket of them to net something good. I think Dipoto would trade Tropeano and Shoemaker.

Kubitza is a solid prospect, nando. He'll be a plus hitter and mediocre defender - so an overall average to above average regular, maybe 2-3 WAR. If he an improve his defense to average then all of a sudden he's a real asset.

Anyhow, it is clear that this franchise really needs an influx of offensive talent. There are literally no prospects in the minors that have a solid chance of being star caliber hitters, which is why I was disappointed that they didn't go after Moncada. Maybe it will be Edy Martinez.

I feel like this franchise needs a lucky break with a hitter. I'm not sure how that could happen, but they need someone to emerge out of nowhere or for Jerry to make magic happen.

Lol AJ.

I'm thinking that Dipoto oversold the 98 win season with the hopes that a healthy Albert and a healthy Hamilton teamed up with Trout was enough firepower to unload Howie. Andrew Heaney was already suppose to be here. This team needs an overhaul. This team has played below .500 baseball since they clinched the AL West last season.

Funny how no one mentions Baldoquin anymore. Dude was labeled as "almost major league ready"

But yea he's been on the DL since April 22nd with a shoulder injury.

They literally spent all their international money on this guy. If he busts, that is a big failure on Dipoto's part.

I blame arte for pujols and Hamilton. Baldoquin was Dipoto's guy.

Edited by Poozy

Funny how no one mentions Baldoquin anymore. Dude was labeled as "almost major league ready"

They literally spent all their international money on this guy. If he busts, that is a big failure on Dipoto's part.

It's dipoto's fault that Baldoquin has an injury? He showed great promise during spring. I think your post is completely idiotic

Realistically, I think the Angels hold onto Tropeano and Heaney.  

I think they sell high on Santiago and send him plus Eduardo Paredes to Arizona for A.J. Pollock.

Then they'll deal Ellis and Alcantara for Justin Morneau or Adam Lind. 

Pollock, Calhoun, Trout, Pujols, Lind/Morneau, Freese, Aybar, Iannetta/Perez, Giavotella

I think that lineup can take the Angels from worst to middle of the pack. 

Let's not jump ship on Baldoquin yet - it is, what, a couple months into his professional career?

Realistically, I think the Angels hold onto Tropeano and Heaney.  

I think they sell high on Santiago and send him plus Eduardo Paredes to Arizona for A.J. Pollock.

Then they'll deal Ellis and Alcantara for Justin Morneau or Adam Lind. 

Pollock, Calhoun, Trout, Pujols, Lind/Morneau, Freese, Aybar, Iannetta/Perez, Giavotella

I think that lineup can take the Angels from worst to middle of the pack. 

I could live with Pollock although think Santiago should be enough. I"m not so sold on Morneau or Lind, though.

Lol AJ.

I'm thinking that Dipoto oversold the 98 win season with the hopes that a healthy Albert and a healthy Hamilton teamed up with Trout was enough firepower to unload Howie. Andrew Heaney was already suppose to be here. This team needs an overhaul. This team has played below .500 baseball since they clinched the AL West last season.

Let's not be too hasty. The team, and franchise as a whole, is really lacking in offensive firepower. But the major league team is literally two good hitters away from being excellent, and I'm not sure that requires throwing in the towel. Trades can and will be made.

As for the farm, that will take some time. I'm guessing Dipoto goes heavy on the hitters in the draft, but that's not going to help much over the next two or three years. Look for some re-tooling this year and over the offseason.