• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Guerrero-Santiago swap would benefit Dodgers, Angels

Thought Guerrero makes a lot of sense for us in spring training, before rosters were set and the Dogs had to make some decisions.....still makes sense to me...but maybe not for Hector, not the way he is pitching...and not with Guerrero's contract, which makes him potentially a short timer...

Edited by DMVol

Thought Guerrero makes a lot of sense for us in spring training, before rosters were set and the Dogs had to make some decisions.....still makes sense to me...but maybe not for Hector, not the way he is pitching.

Hector Santiago could be replaced with Heaney or Tropeano. We get Skaggs back next season. 

Santiago has the better numbers and track record, the Dogs would want Santiago or Wilson for the likes of Guerrero I'm sure.

Unless they would take Salas (they need some RP help) and Shoemaker for Guerrero. We could promote Bedrosian. 

I like Shoemaker though. I think he'll finish with a sub 4.00 ERA again.

The only way this makes sense is if he agrees to waive the free agent clause in his contract, and if that happened it would probably take a lot more than Santiago to make the deal work.  Otherwise, we're basically running in circles here.  We trade a year of Kendrick for Heaney.  Then we trade 3 years of a productive mid/back of rotation pitcher (basically what Heaney will hopefully turn into) for a Guerrero rental? 

Edited by Reveille1984

Why not CJ?

I'd rather keep Hector, who has tons more drive and desire than Wilson, and is just now maturing into a good pitcher.

I don't think the Dodgers would want CJ...elbow issues and a lot of money left on his contract, even if he has pitched well this year....but I'd do that trade in a heartbeat and then promote Heaney or Tropeano....

"Guerrero is under contract through 2017 -- though his contract stipulates that he can become a free agent at the end of a season in which he is traded -- and Santiago would be under the Dodgers' control for three years."

The Angels would be taking on the greater costs and the biggest risk.   Tropeano for Guerrero, fine.   An established SP with three years of control for a guy with 80 MLB at bats who could bolt this year?   Not unless Dipoto suddenly gets a case of the stupids.

No Thanks...

Trades that actually make sense, rarely ever go-through.  

Good Major Leaguer for Good Major Leaguer swaps don't happen.  GM's are constantly trying to reinvent the wheel and to be honest, most of them are kind of egomaniacs.  They feel like they have to win every deal, that's why you see a thousand nameless and faceless prospects being exchanged and uncounted amounts of money changing hands in almost every deal.  One for one, major piece for major piece, cut and dry, reallocation of resources, it's just too simple.  Neither GM gets to claim victory to the ones writing their paychecks, so they just don't do them. 

I'm definitely in favor of the trade on the condition that Alex Guerrero signs an extension with the Angels upon arrival.  But his agent wouldn't let that happen.

In the past, it would have been foolish to advance such a proposal. But times do change -- along with attitudes of folks in charge of ballclubs. This is a new era filled with creative general managers following the Billy Beane model, willing to swing from the heels.

Beane swung out of his shoes this offseason and the A's are in last place with the worst record in baseball. Excuse me, Lyle, if I ignore your trade proposal based on Beane's model.

No way you send Hector to the Dogs. Id rather have an insanely deep rotation and let the offense figure it out or find some other way to improve it. Sending one of our best pitchers to the Dogs is a stupid idea.

Time is running out. It's almost June and the offense is No where to be found.

With all the DL time the young pitchers are banking recently, (Skaggs, Shoe, Richards) trading a young, cost controlled, pitcher who is just figuring it out... doesn't sound very prudent to me. 

Totally agree.

Not to mention that Tropeano might already be needed to replace Shoemaker if he's still tanking later this spring, and Heaney is still an unknown entity. Trade Santiago away, and if even one more pitcher goes down with an injury, they will be left having the bullpen start games again.

Trades that actually make sense, rarely ever go-through.  

Good Major Leaguer for Good Major Leaguer swaps don't happen.  GM's are constantly trying to reinvent the wheel and to be honest, most of them are kind of egomaniacs.  They feel like they have to win every deal, that's why you see a thousand nameless and faceless prospects being exchanged and uncounted amounts of money changing hands in almost every deal.  One for one, major piece for major piece, cut and dry, reallocation of resources, it's just too simple.  Neither GM gets to claim victory to the ones writing their paychecks, so they just don't do them. 

I'm definitely in favor of the trade on the condition that Alex Guerrero signs an extension with the Angels upon arrival.  But his agent wouldn't let that happen.

i, respectfully, have to strongly disagree. it's fans that have to "win" the deal. good gm's are considering many more factors than on the field play, and certainly are not thinking about their public perception.