• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles $15 Minimum Wage

Technically if no one paid more than the minimum then those people would still have to take jobs. They would need to pay more than the minimum to get those same people because if they don't someone else will.

Capitalism 101. This is what you guys wanted, isn't it. Me and the rest of the Chomsky-worshipping Stalin-loving leftists were advocating communism. But noooo...you guys wanted capitalism. Have fun.

Edited by HaloMagic

Technically if no one paid more than the minimum then those people would still have to take jobs. They would need to pay more than the minimum to get those same people because if they don't someone else will.

Capitalism 101. This is what you guys wanted, isn't it. Me and the rest of the Chomsky-worshipping Stalin-loving leftists were advocating communism. But noooo...you guys wanted capitalism. Have fun.

Is this serious?

Oil drops by half. Prices increase. Republicans retake the Senate. Prices increase. War starts. Prices increase. War ends. Prices increase. Giants win the World series. Prices increase. Raise minimum wage. Prices increase. Lower minimum wage. Prices increase. It's what prices do.

We have to stop employing PT support people in January when it goes to $10. Unfortunately, most of our clients are outside of CA and won't swallow necessary rate increases. We'll be demanding more of our full time salary staff. 

Part timers suck anyway

Unfortunately, most of our clients are outside of CA and won't swallow necessary rate increases. We'll be demanding more of our full time salary staff. 

I think people are missing this point.  In a retail/fast food environment, you don't necessarily have the same choices.  But if you're a distribution company, and you're competing with a company that has a like good, but is in Oklahoma where the labor rate is cheaper...what is my motivation to stay in California?  Because our customers won't accept a price increase when they can get the same good at the old price from Oklahoma competitor.

I think people are missing this point.  In a retail/fast food environment, you don't necessarily have the same choices.  But if you're a distribution company, and you're competing with a company that has a like good, but is in Oklahoma where the labor rate is cheaper...what is my motivation to stay in California?  Because our customers won't accept a price increase when they can get the same good at the old price from Oklahoma competitor.

We could probably make some cuts elsewhere to keep those 3 positions, but they're not very productive anyway. The minimum wage increase to $10 in January just made the decision to drop them a little easier to make. 

And we hired an Indian tech firm to create some technology that really takes their place. 

Edited by Adam

We could probably make some cuts elsewhere to keep those 3 positions, but they're not very productive anyway. The minimum wage increase to $10 in January just made the decision to drop them a little easier to make. 

And we hired an Indian tech firm to create some technology that really takes their place. 

This will be happening more and more with these min wage increases.

I think people are missing this point. In a retail/fast food environment, you don't necessarily have the same choices. But if you're a distribution company, and you're competing with a company that has a like good, but is in Oklahoma where the labor rate is cheaper...what is my motivation to stay in California? Because our customers won't accept a price increase when they can get the same good at the old price from Oklahoma competitor.

I have a manufacturing client moving to Texas at the end of this year. Labor is cheaper, as is land/facilities. 100+ jobs will be lost from L.A. But if you heard Jerry Brown's comments after Toyota left for Texas, these company moves have nothing to do with the labor/legal landscape in California. Talk about just not getting it.

I have a manufacturing client moving to Texas at the end of this year. Labor is cheaper, as is land/facilities. 100+ jobs will be lost from L.A. But if you heard Jerry Brown's comments after Toyota left for Texas, these company moves have nothing to do with the labor/legal landscape in California. Talk about just not getting it.

We do manufacturing as well.  We just got notice of new permits and testing that AQMD will require.  Coupled with the business climate we are actively looking to acquire either an existing company or we'll greenfield a new location in Texas.  While we won't be moving everyone to Texas (we'll keep a distribution warehouse here), those manufacturing jobs will be going away.

Next time you guys visit the DFW area, take a drive to the outskirts of the metroplex and you'll get a stark and painful reminder how big of a failure California has become.  Words don't do it justice, you have to be there to fully appreciate it.  The sights, smells, and sounds of all the manufacturing operations used to be commonplace in California.  Not anymore. 

The truly scary part is how much CHEAP open land remains to continue the transplanting of California businesses.   There's enough open land within an hour or two of DFW to transplant all remaining California businesses. 

Next time you guys visit the DFW area, take a drive to the outskirts of the metroplex and you'll get a stark and painful reminder how big of a failure California has become.  Words don't do it justice, you have to be there to fully appreciate it.  The sights, smells, and sounds of all the manufacturing operations used to be commonplace in California.  Not anymore. 

The truly scary part is how much CHEAP open land remains to continue the transplanting of California businesses.   There's enough open land within an hour or two of DFW to transplant all remaining California businesses. 

We were pitched hard by the Northeast Texas Economic Alliance.  Free land, subsidized building, tax credits for first 10 years.  Semi-skilled workforce.  Tempting, but a lot of our business revolves around population centers, and being 2 hours away wasn't really an option for contractors that would need to will call their orders

Don't forget your next door neighbors either. No income tax, low corporate taxes, easy striking distance of major west coast population centers. When the economy crashed it left enough vacant existing buildings to accommodate a lot of relocating California businesses.

Several years ago then-Governor Schwarzenegger came to Las Vegas with a caravan trying to convince Nevada businesses to relocate to California. I'm not sure whether the laughter has died down yet.

• 2 weeks later...