• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles $15 Minimum Wage

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-los-angeles-minimum-wage-unions-20150526-story.html

LOL - and here we go!  All along, labor was doing this in the interest of more union membership

"But Rusty Hicks, who heads the county Federation of Labor and helps lead the Raise the Wage coalition, said Tuesday night that companies with workers represented by unions should have leeway to negotiate a wage below that mandated by the law.

"With a collective bargaining agreement, a business owner and the employees negotiate an agreement that works for them both. The agreement allows each party to prioritize what is important to them," Hicks said in a statement. "This provision gives the parties the option, the freedom, to negotiate that agreement. And that is a good thing."

wow, talk about political double-speak. i'm guessing mr. hicks will be running for public office some day with rhetoric like that.

Since we love anecdotal evidence, when I was at K-Mart I was working 40 hours a week.  Of course, it was at $3.50/hour which was $0.15 above minimum wage.

Only because Walmart hadn't arrived in Lancaster yet(?)

Allowing things controlled by a CBA to operate one way but making things decided individually comply with other standards is ridiculous. If someone wants to bargain with their employer why should they not be allowed to agree to a wage lower than minimum wage if a union is allowed to do the same?

"But Rusty Hicks, who heads the county Federation of Labor and helps lead the Raise the Wage coalition, said Tuesday night that companies with workers represented by unions should have leeway to negotiate a wage below that mandated by the law.

"With a collective bargaining agreement, a business owner and the employees negotiate an agreement that works for them both. The agreement allows each party to prioritize what is important to them," Hicks said in a statement. "This provision gives the parties the option, the freedom, to negotiate that agreement. And that is a good thing."

wow, talk about political double-speak. i'm guessing mr. hicks will be running for public office some day with rhetoric like that.

Interesting strategy.  Unions are dying off a painful death.  

So let's get the desperate companies to cut the payroll by offering union jobs, which will save them in the short term.  Then once unionized, those companies will be held hostage for continually increasing salaries and benefits or they will strike.  

I wonder how much organized labor donated to Garcetti's campaign. And Jerry Brown's. And Barack Obama's.

Oh stop.  Unions don't get involved in politics and trying to strong arm Democratic politicians.  

Except when they do:  http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/democrats-recount-labors-pressure-tactics-118305.html?cmpid=sf#ixzz3bPJEc6GQ

Why should unions be different than every other organization in the country?

They don't have to be. I'd just like it if people recognized them for what they are - self-interested organizations that are no more motivated to help the working class man/woman they purport to represent than the large corporations they oppose.

And it would be nice if people could somehow realize that our elected officials on the left pass labor-friendly law - much of which is bad for the 90% of workers who aren't in a union - because labor bankrolls their campaigns.

Banks are doing the same thing. At least my local Chase has. Went from 4-5 tellers to 1 teller and 2 automated machines.

Just waiting for an R2-D2 type of robot to start serving food in restaurants.

This will happen more and more. Then people will cry "where did all our jobs go."

I am not saying the minimum wage shouldn't be increased. I really have no idea how it compares to historical levels, and I do believe there should be a government imposed minimum.

But the people who think this us going to help raise others out of poverty are either ignorant (the people demanding the "living wage") or preying on the ignorant (the politicians who support this).