• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

doLOLphins

nando714

6 yrs 96m 45m guaranteed for Tannehill. The guy has potential and has improved it seems every yr he's been in the league. Imo he's not a 95m qb. That's a lot for an above avg qb.

Miami also screwed Seattle and Indy. What do Luck and Wilson end up with?

As a football fan I'd much rather my team give Tannehil that kind of money as opposed to Kaep, Dalton or Cutler.  He's gotten better every year and Miami added more pieces on offense this offseason - Jordan Cameron via FA, Kenny Stills via trade and D. Parker who they drafted out of Louisville.  Last year Tannehill threw for over 4,000 yards while having the 5th highest completion percentage with fewer weapons.  The top 15 highest paid QB's in the NFL average 18.8M while Tannehill can make up to 19.25M a year.  As far as guaranteed money goes there are 15 other QB's right now under contract who received more guaranteed money than Tannehill.   

They just gave suh 19m for 6 yrs. That's 2 players taking up potentially 38m of cap space a yr

Miami is gonna have cap issues. They're gonna have to restructure both their contracts soon and probably create very back loaded deals with dead money being created

Edited by nando714

Aside from a few outliers like the 2000 Ravens who had a ridiculous defense you need a legit QB to win these days in the NFL.  By signing Tannehill now they got him for cheaper than they would have had he continued to develop and had a big year in 2015.  At 26 he could be a top 5-10 QB for the next decade at what is the most important and overvalued (see drafts) position on the field.  They're over the cap in 2016 so they will have to make cuts but that's what happens when you give out a ridiculous contract like the one they gave Suh.      

You think he's worth nearly a 100m? Neither is Andy Dalton or Kaepernick (sp?)

I was just amused at how you framed your post. You say he has potential and continues to improve but that it's dumb to pay him. Is it better to dive back into the QB market and draft the next Jake Locker/Blaine Gabbert/Christian Ponder/EJ Manuel/Mark Sanchez/Brady Quinn, etc.....? Then wait for that guy and hope he is as good as Tanehill?

I will say I'm kind of the opposite. Tannehill is not going to win Superbowls just like guys like Alex Smith, Jay Cutler, Philip Rivers, and Andy Dalton. I can't see breaking the bank for average. On the flip side, so many of these come out and are busts, I get why they just pay mediocrity instead of going through the draft.

I will say I'm kind of the opposite. Tannehill is not going to win Superbowls just like guys like Alex Smith, Jay Cutler, Philip Rivers, and Andy Dalton. I can't see breaking the bank for average. On the flip side, so many of these come out and are busts, I get why they just pay mediocrity instead of going through the draft.

Out of the last 10 super bowls Eli Manning has 2 rings, Roethlisberger has 2, Flacco has 1 and Wilson has 1 so you never know. Tannehill could easily crap out like multiple other QBs who signed big contracts but I like his chances more going forward than the guys you mentioned.

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

As a Dolphins fan, I'm fine with the signing. Tannehill has skills and has shown improvment every year, they have also added pieces this offseason that fit Tannehills skill set and the offenesive scheme. After years of below average QBs since Marino retired, Tannehill has been a godsend. I expect them to be competitive this year and for the life of the contract.

Edited by The Dude

Out of the last 10 super bowls Eli Manning has 2 rings, Roethlisberger has 2, Flacco has 1 and Wilson has 1 so you never know. Tannehill could easily crap out like multiple other QBs who signed big contracts but I like his chances more going forward than the guys you mentioned.

I rate those guys a lot higher than the middle tier guys I listed.

Team matters to an extent, but if you don't have a QB that can't single handedly win you games you're not going to win playoff games and Tannehill has yet to do more than an average game manager. He's Andy Dalton.

Im not sure how closely you follow the Phins, but its my opinion that Tannehill is far from being an issue. The Oline,RB s and WRs have all been major issues the last few years. Not the mention the D falling apart in the second half of what seems like every game. Most of those problems have been addressed over the last two years. While Qbs are a huge part of the winning formula these days, its not all on them. As its been mentioned before he has improved every year and now has offensive pieces that compliment him. Don't be suprised to see him take the next step.

Dolphin fan here as well and I agree with that The Dude said. The team finally has a solid QB, and after all the years of Jay Fielder, Ray Lucas, AJ Feely, Brian Griese, Sage Rosenfels, Gus Frerotte, Daunte Culpepper, Cleo Lemon (who???), John Beck, an old Trent Green, and Chad Henne, I am thrilled the team has a competent one. Is this an overpay, sure, but not by as much as you would think with how much QBs are paid. 

Tannehill has improved every season, and is still relatively new to playing QB (3 years NFL, 1 college). His stats last season are pretty good: 4045 yards, 66.4%, 27 TD, 12 INT and 311 rushing yards. Hopefully the offensive line is healthy and doesn't get him killed this year.

listening to the arguments here, i'm still not convinced tannehill has performed enough to warrant this much money.

i'm a big, big fan of having performance-based contracts, something the union and the accountants will never go for, but something that makes a lot of sense in how athletes should be paid. you start with a base salary that goes up each season, then tie in both personal (yards, TDs, MVP, pro bowl, etc.) and team (wins, winning the division, playoffs, super bowl, etc.) goals to reach.

Im not sure how closely you follow the Phins, but its my opinion that Tannehill is far from being an issue. The Oline,RB s and WRs have all been major issues the last few years. Not the mention the D falling apart in the second half of what seems like every game. Most of those problems have been addressed over the last two years. While Qbs are a huge part of the winning formula these days, its not all on them. As its been mentioned before he has improved every year and now has offensive pieces that compliment him. Don't be suprised to see him take the next step.

I think he's good and am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he can exceed expectations. I wouldn't be surprised if he hits the Flacco, Eli, Rivers tier.

Performance based contracts may be good in theory but some teams have to overpay for talent whether due to being in a small market or just a poor performing franchise.  Teams trying to give out performance based contracts would get outbid by teams that overpay with more guaranteed money.  Unless all contracts are performance driven teams aren't going to be successful bringing in top FA's using contracts that are largely performance based.     

I agree that Tannehill hasn't done enough to warrant the contract but he had one year left on his rookie contract.  If he continues to progress then the price could go up especially as guys like Luck and Wilson sign deals.  I see articles where fans, writers and even Seattle's GM are complaining about what his contract means for guys like Luck and Wilson but like the first big FA signing in any off season those guys signing will set the bar and drive up the price of remaining FA's.  

Sports contracts in general are out of hand.  Obviously it's all relative but if you look at the QB contracts and salaries in the NFL given what's guaranteed his contract puts him in the middle of the pack.

They just gave suh 19m for 6 yrs. That's 2 players taking up potentially 38m of cap space a yr

Miami is gonna have cap issues. They're gonna have to restructure both their contracts soon and probably create very back loaded deals with dead money being created

This happened to Jacksonville during the Coughlin years. They built a winning team, handed out several big contracts, then later wound up cutting a bunch of players to get under the cap. So far they haven't recovered.