• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Michael Roth...

He's probably on the plane back to AA as we speak. Granted, he pitched against the Astros, but he was impressive. MIke: "We liked what we saw, he missed a few signs, needs a bit more of a look down at the farm, but the kid has gotta pay his dues."

Is that a real quote from Scioscia?

How yall doin today? Just wanted to jump on and give yall some insight on your new pitcher. Michael is the nicest kid you will ever want to meet. He has no fear, is a real loose guy and is one of the smartest people you'll meet. There's an amazing story about how Roth got his big break with South Carolina. South Carolina had lost the first game of the College World Series and had played their way back into the sesmifinal by winning every game. This had left the team with almost no rested pitchers to face our most hated rival Clemson, needing to win 2 games to advance. Roth, by some stroke of luck, ended up on the hotel elevator with then Head Coach and current AD Ray Tanner and another coach who were discussing "well, who are we going to throw today, can we get by with just getting a few innings out of each guy?". Michael turns to them and says "Coach, start me". Tanner said why not and started him expecting to get 2-3 innings out of hiim since he hadn't thrown more than 1.2 the entire season. After the 3rd inning Tanner came to Roth and said something to the effect of "Hey, great work, thanks for taking one fot the team", and Roth replied "Coach, I'm good, I'm going back out". Tanner kept coming up to him after every inning and Roth replied the same way each time. Roth went 9 innings and pitched a 3 hitter. Tanner still tells the story and ends it with "That was the day I learned to trust Michael Roth." He ended up being the Friday Starter the next two seasons as we won another CWS and finishing runner up his senior year. His throwing style may not be the most orthodox, but he knows how to get people out and he is a winner. Hope he never goes back down

As good as Roth must have been last night, is he ready to convert to starting at some point this season. He has very few pro innings under his belt.

But at the very least, he could really help a beleaguered bullpen.

Not sure if this is a glass half full or empty comment...so from you I'll take it.

How yall doin today? Just wanted to jump on and give yall some insight on your new pitcher. Michael is the nicest kid you will ever want to meet. He has no fear, is a real loose guy and is one of the smartest people you'll meet. There's an amazing story about how Roth got his big break with South Carolina. South Carolina had lost the first game of the College World Series and had played their way back into the sesmifinal by winning every game. This had left the team with almost no rested pitchers to face our most hated rival Clemson, needing to win 2 games to advance. Roth, by some stroke of luck, ended up on the hotel elevator with then Head Coach and current AD Ray Tanner and another coach who were discussing "well, who are we going to throw today, can we get by with just getting a few innings out of each guy?". Michael turns to them and says "Coach, start me". Tanner said why not and started him expecting to get 2-3 innings out of hiim since he hadn't thrown more than 1.2 the entire season. After the 3rd inning Tanner came to Roth and said something to the effect of "Hey, great work, thanks for taking one fot the team", and Roth replied "Coach, I'm good, I'm going back out". Tanner kept coming up to him after every inning and Roth replied the same way each time. Roth went 9 innings and pitched a 3 hitter. Tanner still tells the story and ends it with "That was the day I learned to trust Michael Roth." He ended up being the Friday Starter the next two seasons as we won another CWS and finishing runner up his senior year. His throwing style may not be the most orthodox, but he knows how to get people out and he is a winner. Hope he never goes back down

Good info.  Thanks, Gamecock...country.

Maybe he does need more time, and we have seen great debuts before (F. not the K-Rod Rodriguez 8 scoreless innings to start career and then flame out). But it seemed like he's fearless, half of the battle right there.

This is what I especially like about Ric Wilson. Unlike his predecessor, he's not afraid to draft college players. His predecessor missed an important source of talent by almost never drafting them.

dude looked awesome.  totally composed.  he should off ianetta several times and almost every time he struck the guy out. 

Other than one errant throw over the head of Iannetta in low forties weather, followed by a hit from hot hitting Mauer, he did rather well last night. He looks to have good control of his pitches. He put the pitch where Iannetta wanted it. Maybe he should have shaken off Iannetta one more time. I look forward to seeing more of this guy.

Cool story.  And welcome to the board!

I apologize in advance for the ribbing you're going to take on your screen name.  We're 13 year olds at heart around here.  =)

Actually, I wouldn't make fun of his screen name. It's the stupid nickname that the University of South Carolina gives itself that lends to silliness.

Maybe he does need more time, and we have seen great debuts before (F. not the K-Rod Rodriguez 8 scoreless innings to start career and then flame out). But it seemed like he's fearless, half of the battle right there.

This is what I especially like about Ric Wilson. Unlike his predecessor, he's not afraid to draft college players. His predecessor missed an important source of talent by almost never drafting them.

Unlike 20+ other teams the Angels were not afraid to draft an unknown high school player named Mike Trout.

I don't think is was so much about bravery, rather it was smarts that led Wilson to take Roth in the ninth round of the draft. We had him high on the list, and for good reason. His accomplishments read like a who's who of college baseball. An impressive young man to say the least. I fully expect him to go down soon. However, I don't believe he will be there for very long, maybe a year.

• 9 years later...